Post-Game Talk: Game #23: Panthers 3, Canucks 2 in SO - We scored more than 1 goal! Babysteps...

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Fell asleep just before OT. Woke up to watch nightmare.......errr shootout.
Wishing I fell asleep just before initial puck drop :(

Nov 1, 2011
Is Richardson's defensive game going down the crapper?

I noticed he was standing in front covering nobody on both the Panthers goals...that being said, he might have been coming off the bench on the 2nd goal (or he was just behind the play).

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
This is just an aside, but for anyone at the game:

In the 2nd or 3rd period, when the announcement "PUT YOUR HANDS, TOGETHER!" came on, did anybody notice that the jumbotron displayed a handicapped individual without hands?? The individual was in a wheelchair, and had two hooks for hands, and was not in any way clapping them together during the five second period they were on the big screen.

I thought it was a morbid joke... Maybe he/she was clapping them together before being shown on the screen and I didn't see that? Not sure if it's worth reporting, but baffling nonetheless.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

I noticed he was standing in front covering nobody on both the Panthers goals...that being said, he might have been coming off the bench on the 2nd goal (or he was just behind the play).

The second goal was Kassian leaving his man, I think. Haven't re-watched it since last night.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

In the 2nd or 3rd period, when the announcement "PUT YOUR HANDS, TOGETHER!" came on, did anybody notice that the jumbotron displayed a handicapped individual without hands?? The individual was in a wheelchair, and had two hooks for hands, and was not in any way clapping them together during the five second period they were on the big screen.

I thought it was a morbid joke... Maybe he/she was clapping them together before being shown on the screen and I didn't see that? Not sure if it's worth reporting, but baffling nonetheless.

I was at the game.

Saw the individual on the screen but had no idea what it was for.

Likely cause the game was that exciting.

They also kept showing that girl in a grey/black top dancing. She wasn't necessarily unattractive but she wasn't attractive either.

Just that kind of night all-round I guess.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
What sample are you looking at, just the last season? Over his career, his high water mark had been 24 points. On bad FLA teams willing to give him minutes.

I don't think he's a 3rd liner on a good team at all. He could surprise, but the data doesn't support it as far as I can see.

Edit: If we want to take goal scoring over a 48 sample as measure of where a player will play in the line-up, then trade for Kopecky immediately because he's better than any shooter we have.

All I'm arguing here is that I feel Matthias can be an effective, above 3rd liner on any team. He's big, can skate and sound defensively. Yes, I also think Kopecky is a very good 3rd liner.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

He was late coming back on the second one. I remember a Panther defenseman took him out in their zone and the play had already hit the Canucks zone when Richardson started skating back. But, everybody on that play was puck watching.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
That one pissed me off.

I can understand losing, but that kind of (lack of) effort is inexcusable.
Reminded me of the Columbus game, no motivation at all. But once a month occurrence of lack of effort game is alright I suppose. Certainly better than last year.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What a total stinker last nights game was. One positive I liked about it was we now have a coach who isn't afraid to tell it like it is. What a breath of fresh air it is to see Torts not give the same old cliches over and over again like what we see from most coaches.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007

Yeah I saw this. I think everyone who was in attendance was a bit shocked.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
Only positive from last night is our secondary scoring showed up again with Higgy and Jannik scoring.

Negative is our primary scoring (Sedins+Kes+Burr) are MIA.

Wetcoaster

Only positive from last night is our secondary scoring showed up again with Higgy and Jannik scoring.

What can you expect when Tortorella benches a top six forward like David Booth?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

No wonder we couldn't score last night; they thought the game was in Florida.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It's nice to have Hansen back. He's a great addition to the middle six group. He's probably the next closest thing we have to Higgins. We just need Kassian to break out and we'll be set even with Booth taking up 4 million of cap space on the sidelines.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
That one pissed me off.

I can understand losing, but that kind of (lack of) effort is inexcusable.

This one did piss me off... until I heard Tortorella in the press conference. Torts said (something like), "It was like getting kicked in the side of the head"... As in, came out of nowhere... Since the beginning of the season, the veteran leadership played the right way, etc... Results weren't always there... But, the correct process was there.

For me, it was like when the doctor finally hears that clicking in your knee. Sucks that your knee clicks, but that's the reality of the situation. If it's to be fixed, the doctor needs to hear it. The problem is, it doesn't click all the time... Only sometimes, but when it does... **** does it hurt. Better in a no nothing game in November against Florida... then round 1 in the playoffs against LA...

Doctor AV heard it, but his approach was to basically let the players fix it themselves. The problem, fixing itself. The problem is not even aware that it's the problem.

My contention has been that this core is capable of more... More success than achieved to date will come from the core getting to a higher level, and augmenting this "heightened core" with youth. This thing that happened last night, to me, is typical Canucks with this core. Don't know if it's arrogance... Not sure what it is... I only know that it happens. Those who already lost faith in this core say it's just the way this team is (the knee will always click, from time-to-time, and break hearts in the process as a result, unless replaced)... I think there's more milage out of the core, with skilled acupuncture.

To me, yesturday was progress... It needed to happen, if this team is going to not only emulate past success with the roster on hand, but surpass it.

We'll see... Torts is the right guy to coach this team, IMHO... If he doesn't ultimately get this core to the Stanley Cup, I'll admit that this core wasn't good enough.

Tanevian*

Maybe the no hands joke was directed at the Canucks players?

Wetcoaster

Booth needs PP time ;)

#FREEBOOTH
Yup also time to double shift him and give him time on the PK. if necessary he can drop back on D to catch his breath.

Hey it worked for Gordie Howe, eh?

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver

I'm sorry, but that is kind of funny. Not because the person has no hands, but because the film crew actually tried to film them in that situation :laugh: how dumb do you have to be

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
This one did piss me off... until I heard Tortorella in the press conference. Torts said (something like), "It was like getting kicked in the side of the head"... As in, came out of nowhere... Since the beginning of the season, the veteran leadership played the right way, etc... Results weren't always there... But, the correct process was there.

For me, it was like when the doctor finally hears that clicking in your knee. Sucks that your knee clicks, but that's the reality of the situation. If it's to be fixed, the doctor needs to hear it. The problem is, it doesn't click all the time... Only sometimes, but when it does... **** does it hurt. Better in a no nothing game in November against Florida... then round 1 in the playoffs against LA...

Doctor AV heard it, but his approach was to basically let the players fix it themselves. The problem, fixing itself. The problem is not even aware that it's the problem.

My contention has been that this core is capable of more... More success than achieved to date will come from the core getting to a higher level, and augmenting this "heightened core" with youth. This thing that happened last night, to me, is typical Canucks with this core. Don't know if it's arrogance... Not sure what it is... I only know that it happens. Those who already lost faith in this core say it's just the way this team is (the knee will always click, from time-to-time, and break hearts in the process as a result, unless replaced)... I think there's more milage out of the core, with skilled acupuncture.

To me, yesturday was progress... It needed to happen, if this team is going to not only emulate past success with the roster on hand, but surpass it.

We'll see... Torts is the right guy to coach this team, IMHO... If he doesn't ultimately get this core to the Stanley Cup, I'll admit that this core wasn't good enough.

Sort of like our annual ass kicking from Chicago use to wake us up?

Well, I hope you are correct...because I essentially agree that this core has underperformed for the last two years. And further, I believe they are capable of much, much more.

And still further, Gillis doesn't have much choice right now but to stay the course.

It's easy to talk about trading this guy or that guy...or just have the fan base "instruct" Gillis to go out and get a top six sniper.

But between NTCs, internal and external cap limitations and finally actual availability of said snipers, it is really difficult to pull off a trade of that magnitude at this time of year.

So we are forced to go with what we've got...and then hope that Torts can get these guys all on the same page at the same time.

Scoring slumps come and go and I am patient with that. But what frosts my nuts is the kind of performance I saw from the Canucks last night. That was just unacceptable.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I have not been actually ANGRY about a Canucks loss in a long time. Sad about Game 7? Sure. But just thinking about yesterday's game makes me pissed off. Not really sure why. ARGH :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad