Post-Game Talk: Game #23: Panthers 3, Canucks 2 in SO - We scored more than 1 goal! Babysteps...

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
I think Cammalleri and Ryder would be more than enough to put us into a contending category. If we can get better than that, sure, go for it. However, better also costs. I believe we could acquire the aforementioned without selling off more than this years picks.

:nucks

Cammalleri

:flames

1st
Schroeder/McNally
possibly another pick

:nucks

Ryder

:devils

Jensen
Booth
possible pick

thing about this is, if we still don't win, cammi won't likely re-sign, and we've just given away a 1st and a decent prospect for essentially nothing.

as for the 2nd trade, i doubt the devils would be willing to take on booth's contract for jensen, even with a possible pick

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I don't know if I can even object to pissing away more picks considering they just waste them at the draft anyway.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Torts angry we didn't respect our opponent. Join the club. Since the beginning of time the Canucks have always played down to the level of their opponent. It's in our culture, our way of life.

Oh, the Florida Panthers are in town....yawn. This team loves to look for opportunities to take the night off.

Always have, always will.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
thing about this is, if we still don't win, cammi won't likely re-sign, and we've just given away a 1st and a decent prospect for essentially nothing.

as for the 2nd trade, i doubt the devils would be willing to take on booth's contract for jensen, even with a possible pick

Not necessarily. It depends on how he feels about the organization and our offer. Gillis was his former agent, he attempted to sign him once before and Cammy has expressed interest in Vancouver in the past. All those would be additional factors. If we do trade for Cammalleri. I am not at all concerned with being able to re-sign him.

Booth is, of course, the elephant in the room. It all depends if a team will basically do us a favor. Non-playoff teams might, if we pay them.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
So, I know it's early in the year, but we currently sit 4 points out of the last Wild Card (feels weird to say that) playoff spot, and 5 out of one of the PAC division top 3. None of the Hawks, Blues, Avs, Ducks, Sharks, Yotes, Kings or Wild seem to be slowing down, and we now have to worry about teams like Dallas and Winnipeg breathing down our necks for ninth.

Not sure if this is the year to piss away a first round draft pick for a guy like Cammalleri, lads. It could end up being a lottery pick.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
THIS so much. the coach can ONLY do so much with what he has in front of him. the blame solely lies on to the man in charge Micheal gillis. time for him to step up and do some wheeling and dealing. how many more loses of 1 goal games before gillis finally blows 2/3rds of the core? shakeup!

You know, I totally agree that some trades have to happen. I think MG has brought in some steals like lapierre/higgins/ehrhoff through trade, but when he actually trades valuable players on our team, he seems to get his ass kicked in trades. I dont think I trust him to make a trade with any of our players with value.

I mean, coho for kassian and schneider for only horvat?! Back before we traded coho, i was still puzzled why the canucks didn't hold onto him until the offseason when it was pretty obvious that one of our goalies would have to be moved after the 11-12 season. coho/schneider package should have been able to bring us back a legit top 6 scorer. As soon as I found out we traded coho, this is what was going through my head. It's not something I'm only considering right now.

Also, Henrik needs to shoot the puck more. It will make him a much more dynamic player. He also needs to go to a patrick kane shootout clinic. He can take his brother for that too. Time to suck it up and put that damn puck in the net. Stop looking like an unconfident goof during shootouts. You have a ****ing Art Ross trophy.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
that's why we need to rebuild now BEFORE we become like edmonton.

well the draft last year and are core not being 36 will mean that won't happen soon

No. Never like Edm. Never have our young players on the front line. Slow integration 1-2 per year. Surrounded by vets.

Better way to go but the gap between the prospects and the core in age is probably too great for another SC soon.

Sure the 3 guys Gillis brought in have helped but others haven't rebounded and frankly other teams have passed us by now.

Injuries and bad management have hurt the 2 Alberta teams but with all that talent we can't rely on them being behind us forever either, look at the Avs this year.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Probably the worst game of the year for the team and Luongo's best. I know Luongo gets grief for his lateral movement, but even on the 2nd goal he stayed upright and got across the ice. That was just a nice shot.

Incidentally, I still feel as I have for the past few seasons: the Canucks take too long to get their shots on net. There's too much time for goalies to get set. You need to get the puck off your stick and on net while the goalie is moving and there's room to squeeze a puck through.

I thought Edler was especially bad last night. More nights than not he looks absolutely lost at least 6 or 7 times a night.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Went to the game; few thoughts:

1. Game was boring. No one was into it cept for OT and alittle in the 3rd.

2. Edler is not justifying his salary. He was brutal. Still don't understand why people keep wanting to keep this guy when he's are biggest potential movable asset on defense.

3. Garrison couldn't hit the back side of a barn if he stood right in front of it. Seems to always miss the net. Need him to be better with his accuracy.

4. I'll give him alittle slack but Burrows looks awful. Providing nothing in secondary scoring. If he can't pick it up even with the Sedins we are boned.

5. Thought Stanton had his weakest game as a Canuck but since he's played awesome so far and makes peanuts, I'll give him a slight pass.

6. Matthias looked great against us. Would be useful as a 3C. However, I'll take it with a grain of salt as the Nucks weren't very good.

7. Kassian can't finish his dinner and provides no jump to the team. Very frustrating player right now because it's all "wait and see" with him.

8. Changes need to be made and soon or the only way this team sees the playoffs is on TV.

arsmaster*

Went to the game; few thoughts:

1. Game was boring. No one was into it cept for OT and alittle in the 3rd.

2. Edler is not justifying his salary. He was brutal. Still don't understand why people keep wanting to keep this guy when he's are biggest potential movable asset on defense.

3. Garrison couldn't hit the back side of a barn if he stood right in front of it. Seems to always miss the net. Need him to be better with his accuracy.

4. I'll give him alittle slack but Burrows looks awful. Providing nothing in secondary scoring. If he can't pick it up even with the Sedins we are boned.

5. Thought Stanton had his weakest game as a Canuck but since he's played awesome so far and makes peanuts, I'll give him a slight pass.

6. Matthias looked great against us. Would be useful as a 3C. However, I'll take it with a grain of salt as the Nucks weren't very good.

7. Kassian can't finish his dinner and provides no jump to the team. Very frustrating player right now because it's all "wait and see" with him.

8. Changes need to be made and soon or the only way this team sees the playoffs is on TV.

Matthias played 9 minutes and scored what will likely be his only one time slapper of the year.

It amazes me when people see things like useful 3C, when he's barely playing. Useful 4th liner sure. Not worth moving anything but chaff we're not interested in keeping.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Matthias played 9 minutes and scored what will likely be his only one time slapper of the year.

It amazes me when people see things like useful 3C, when he's barely playing. Useful 4th liner sure. Not worth moving anything but chaff we're not interested in keeping.

He may have only played 9 minutes but he was their most effective player all night.

Could have had a second.

Might also be the reason he was FIRST star last night.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

The same "4th liner" who scored more goals than anyone on our team last year? He is most certainly a 3rd liner.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The same "4th liner" who scored more goals than anyone on our team last year? He is most certainly a 3rd liner.

I'm thinking you meant anyone on our 4th line last year? If so, then yes, but that doesn't make him a 3rd liner overall. Just better than our 4th liners.

This year, there's some more quality on the 4th line to offer competition, so Im not sure that still holds.

Giving props to Luongo here. He held the team in it when they didnt deserve it. Very good game from him.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm thinking you meant anyone on our 4th line last year? If so, then yes, but that doesn't make him a 3rd liner overall. Just better than our 4th liners.

This year, there's some more quality on the 4th line to offer competition, so Im not sure that still holds.

Giving props to Luongo here. He held the team in it when they didnt deserve it. Very good game from him.

No, Matthias scored more goals than anyone on our team last year. He most certainly is a solid, above average 3rd liner.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just finished watching the game...like torts said in his post-game presser, there's not much to take away from that game that's positive, just an absolute head-scratcher that raises too many uncomfortable questions

some stats, such as receiving zero powerplay goals from the 2nd pp unit almost 30 games into the season, and the sedins/kesler/burrows going into the tank offensively over the past few weeks, just boggle the mind

what i'd be most concerned about is that the canuck players that have had serious injuries/surgeries over the past few seasons - d sedin, kesler, edler (to say nothing of booth) - are not playing consistently at all...d sedin isn't going anywhere but i think canucks management has to start exploring more seriously the possibilities of moving the other two players while they still have high value around the league

the post-game comments by h sedin indicate that this is still in many ways an alain vigneault team and tortorella i think deserves at least a bit of a shakeup to more effectively change the group mentality

arsmaster*

No, Matthias scored more goals than anyone on our team last year. He most certainly is a solid, above average 3rd liner.

But he's a 4th liner on a bottom 3 team, and was a 3rd liner on the worst team in the league last year.

I think you're taking the 48 game shortened season and weighting it to much.

It certainly looks like a blip to me. A decent player, one that would look good here, not worth moving a significant asset for. Absolutely does NOT upgrade the 3rd line.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
just finished watching the game...like torts said in his post-game presser, there's not much to take away from that game that's positive, just an absolute head-scratcher that raises too many uncomfortable questions

some stats, such as receiving zero powerplay goals from the 2nd pp unit almost 30 games into the season, and the sedins/kesler/burrows going into the tank offensively over the past few weeks, just boggle the mind

what i'd be most concerned about is that the canuck players that have had serious injuries/surgeries over the past few seasons - d sedin, kesler, edler (to say nothing of booth) - are not playing consistently at all...d sedin isn't going anywhere but i think canucks management has to start exploring more seriously the possibilities of moving the other two players while they still have high value around the league

the post-game comments by h sedin indicate that this is still in many ways an alain vigneault team and tortorella i think deserves at least a bit of a shakeup to more effectively change the group mentality

It's going to take time; unfortunately we don't have a lot of it.

Also, IMO, most of the players, management and a lot of fans are still stuck in the past.

This isn't 2011 anymore.

Time to make some actual "hard decisions".

However, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Edler should be shipped.

Booth should be shipped for a bear-skin rug.

In all honest, I'd move Kassian as well if the right deal came along.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

What sample are you looking at, just the last season? Over his career, his high water mark had been 24 points. On bad FLA teams willing to give him minutes.

I don't think he's a 3rd liner on a good team at all. He could surprise, but the data doesn't support it as far as I can see.

Edit: If we want to take goal scoring over a 48 sample as measure of where a player will play in the line-up, then trade for Kopecky immediately because he's better than any shooter we have.

Last edited:

Outside99*

Lots of good comments in this thread (in before its closed)

Reality is the Canucks are a good but not great team that is 100% healthy now. That's what happens when you get older, don't have young players to rejuvenate the team and every summer you let good players go for nothing.

Panicking and trading picks and prospects for more veterans would be a big mistake - the team needs to get younger and faster - there's a reason the majority of top scorers in the league are under 30. As I see it, the choices atm are a) stay the course, tinker on the edges and wait for the summer to buy out some contracts and sign some help while hoping some kids are ready, or b) trade Edler AND Kesler or Burrows for younger NHLers. Let's talk about option a) as b) can wait for the TD.

Bieksa - our de facto #1. Should be playing 30 minutes (every 2nd shift). Team (and pk) will be ****** if he or Tanev goes down.
Edler - playing so poorly, never the same since his years with Salo, very dependent on playing partner. Among current D, has only ever played consistently well with Tanev.
Garrison - very avg on right side - in fairness, very difficult to move the puck on the backhand. Ironically, his old d partner in Florida has been moved to his natural left side. Toi wise, Left side D needs to be by committee - Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler. Stanton to the right for 10-12. More or less how they're running the PK.

As a whole, the D needs to move the puck better (ring around the boards doesn't seem to be working...)

Criticism of Luongo is so unjust its not funny - pure bs scapegoating. He hasn't stood on his head but he's been solid which all things considered...

On the other hand, coaching staff should not be beyond reproach. Not making d pairing adjustments for example. PP is another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad