GDT: Game 23 - New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils - 7pm EST, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Either that or he needs to learn to play the penalty kill and become a top 4 option there. I actually think Chytil-Kakko could be a serious PK forward pair, but they haven't been used that way. Getting those two involved will mean less reliance on guys like Carpenter staying in the lineup.

On the bright side, Jere Lehtinen wasn't an NHL player until 22.

It's just funny because the numbers don't tell the story with Kakko's eye test. He was barely AHL level his first season, solid the next, regressed last year, and seems to have returned this season to his sophomore form.
He does have obvious skill and could see this being a case where he's a bigger guy and it takes a little longer for it all to come together. He has particular abilities that only a few players in the world have.

With Lafreniere, I'm just at the point where I really don't know if I see it at the NHL level.

If some schmoe on the main boards asked me in earnest what Kakko's strengths are, I would tell him that Kakko is all-world at controlling the puck, could be an elite defender in the right role, and has the potential to be a fantastic complimentary power forward. Sure, I would like to see him attack with confidence more often, but I would like to see the whole team do that.

If the same guy asked me what Lafreniere is good it, I would say "he knows where to stand for tap-ins, which is certainly something. And I guess he has a nice beard."

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My preference has always been to keep Mika and Kreider off the pk because you want those guys coming over the boards the shift after or if you get a pp after, so I'd love this. The only issue Chytil has is faceoffs, could we work on faceoffs with both him and Kakko, I'd guess we could make a faceoff guy out of Kakko with his strength. Kakko's biggest issue is that he doesn't trust his own shot, he needs to shoot more.

I think you mitigate the faceoff concern by having that group come on second. Start with Goodrow-Kreider or Goodrow-Vesey to kick things off.

But I don't see a coach going away from Mika and Fox, even though I think it would benefit him (Even if our PK took a slight hit) so this is all academic anyways

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm a Kakko homer but I think he has been all-around fantastic this year. Thought he was an excellent fit with Kreider and Zibanejad.

With the obvious, and huge caveat, of struggling to finish. At this point, while he has absolutely been unlucky, part of that is also on him. It seems like a mix of physical and mental. If they trade him and he gets a fresh start mentally there is zero doubt in my mind he is a Nichushkin-like addition for another team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If the same guy asked me what Lafreniere is good it, I would say "he knows where to stand for tap-ins, which is certainly something. And I guess he has a nice beard."
The issue as I see it is the same that so many #1 overall busts have had- they are the same player at 23 that they were at 17.

You draft most players with the assumption that even if they don't have to undergo a stylistic overhaul to make the NHL like, say, Carl Hagelin did, they still are expected to get steadily better at what they do.

Laf is still playing and thinking the game at the speed of a Canadian Major Juniors player. That's a very big problem.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm a Kakko homer but I think he has been all-around fantastic this year. Thought he was an excellent fit with Kreider and Zibanejad.

With the obvious, and huge caveat, of struggling to finish. At this point, while he has absolutely been unlucky, part of that is also on him. It seems like a mix of physical and mental. If they trade him and he gets a fresh start mentally there is zero doubt in my mind he is a Nichushkin-like addition for another team.
On one hand, Kakko's actual totals have fallen back in line with his "expected" totals if you believe the analytics.

On the other hand, he was taken off a line that was getting two-thirds of the expected goals for absolutely no reason.

I kind of get the Kid Line because as others have pointed out, Chytil and Kakko together is some "you're never touching the puck" clownery and it's a very sexy combo.

I think that combo needs a little bit of flare on their LW, (Panarin-Chytil-Kakko makes sense to me) and right now their LW is Taylor Pyatt (sorry but it's true).

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So, is Trocheck playing?

They made it sound like he sat in practice for 'maintenance'

Take it Kravtsov still sitting?

Kreider Zibs Vesey
Panarin Chytil Kakko
Laffy Trocheck Goodrow
Blais Carpenter Gauthier

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lines updated. Not sure if Lindgren is ready to go or not, Kravtsov scratched again.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I do like Laffy and Trocheck together.

Jury is out with Panarin and Chytil. Vesey makes more sense for that line while also Kakko making more sense with Zibs.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hajek paired with Fox tonight...what could possibly go wrong??

1981A4E8-D759-4079-B328-B8E433A073F5.gif

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Ill be looking early to see if they are still playing for GG...He made a mistake when he said he was doing his job..a bit defensive.....hopefully everyone comes out on fire and we move on and tell the debbies who's in charge.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not that turned off by Hajek-Fox.

I'm left handed so I'm pretty sure Fox could play with me.

Don't do anything f***ing stupid and just pass the puck to Fox is probably in Hajek's wheelhouse.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
He does have obvious skill and could see this being a case where he's a bigger guy and it takes a little longer for it all to come together. He has particular abilities that only a few players in the world have.

With Lafreniere, I'm just at the point where I really don't know if I see it at the NHL level.

If some schmoe on the main boards asked me in earnest what Kakko's strengths are, I would tell him that Kakko is all-world at controlling the puck, could be an elite defender in the right role, and has the potential to be a fantastic complimentary power forward. Sure, I would like to see him attack with confidence more often, but I would like to see the whole team do that.

While I like to think I'm different than most posters when I don't want the team to be punished and run outside the team bus after losses, there is just something about Lafreneire's demeanor that I absolutely hate.

I don't want players constantly pouting (Kakko has the absolute opposite vibe of Laf and wish KK would be less hard on himself sometimes), Lafreniere is constantly smirking and carrying on like a 10 year veteran. His hits/physicality are mostly empty calories, well after the play and only highlight how behind he is on the play.

Even though the 1st line needs some new looks with a different LW, I just can't seem to find a reason Laf has earned that chance other than being the first named called in 2020.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
A W tn could be a nice spark. Got an easy ish next 3 games too… can go on a nice little run.

They need it. Got Blues, VGK, Avs and Devils in a row after the next 3. If they go into those games unmotivated it can get ugly quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad