GDT: Game 23 - New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils - 7pm EST, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The problem is even if we go up, all it takes is one thing to go wrong for the flood gates to open.

It's like basketball, the game doesn't matter until towards the end of the 3rd quarter because no lead is safe.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I actually think we win tonight and then lose 2 out of the next 3

They play the Sens twice then the Hawks. I can see em splitting the Sens series and they shouldnt have a prob vs the Hawks.

W tn and win 2 of the next 3

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know the sentiment around here is negative and that the board is becoming increasingly difficult to read, but besides coaching and the backup goalie situation there isn't any issue that I think is so systematic that I'll have to adjust my expectations for the season. We knew we were going to have holes that became more evident as the season clipped along, and we just made the cap space to address them. We're probably short two wingers. Depending on Hajek/Jones maybe a blueliner, maybe not.

It doesn't matter if Halak has been ass so long as the team qualifies for the playoffs, because if Shesty gets injured it doesn't matter if it's Domingue, Halak, Georgiev... the chances drop to near 0.

I think the Rangers win tonight.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know the sentiment around here is negative and that the board is becoming increasingly difficult to read, but besides coaching and the backup goalie situation there isn't any issue that I think is so systematic that I'll have to adjust my expectations for the season. We knew we were going to have holes that became more evident as the season clipped along, and we just made the cap space to address them. We're probably short two wingers. Depending on Hajek/Jones maybe a blueliner, maybe not.

It doesn't matter if Halak has been ass so long as the team qualifies for the playoffs, because if Shesty gets injured it doesn't matter if it's Domingue, Halak, Georgiev... the chances drop to near 0.

I can't speak for anybody else, but my cause for alarm is that Lafreniere and Kakko should have been those wingers, and them being massive disappointments honestly just seems inevitable in this organization, and nobody knows why.

Beyond that, every team has holes and it's all nitpicking.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Get 6 points out of every 5 games and we will be fine,,,,,but it would not hurt to throw in a 6-7 game win streak at some point to have 100 pts at season end . As much as I hate the way it looks right now....I think they have an idea of things . Surely Zibs and Panarin can bring much more when they will have to do so . I think as this game goes....so go the Rangers for this season . I will predict a 5-1 win and 2 fights .

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My hate for the Devils could power a city but I'll give them one thing: I have more respect for Hischier and Hughes than the spare tire Connor McDavid is forced to carry around.
He’s always looked like such a shitty player to me, lugging around the ice with his hunchback. When Lucic was on the Oilers I always got him & Draisaitl mixed up

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He’s always looked like such a shitty player to me, lugging around the ice with his hunchback. When Lucic was on the Oilers I always got him & Draisaitl mixed up
He is a shitty player and now he's given me a reason to die on a hill I had no interest in.

I can be very vindictive as anybody who was on this forum during Girardi's career will tell you.

These days, though, I like to save the relish for opposing players.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Rangers will be facing an uphill climb the rest of the way due to the start they’ve had. And I see nothing that tells me the ship is righting itself.

Frankly? They need to go on a run. 5 6 game win streak to really get back into this thing. 3-1 2-1-1 not going to cut it. They’ve got to string multiple wins together and fast

Deleted member 23124

I still think Rangers make playoffs.

Reactions: leetch99

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Going to this one last minute after swearing off going to games until the ship is righted. Cant help myself.

We will know a lot about the makeup of the leaders on this team after this one. If they don't play with the some actual guts and intensity, I'm not sure even a coaching change can save them.

Gun to my head, I think we win.

Reactions: leetch99

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can't speak for anybody else, but my cause for alarm is that Lafreniere and Kakko should have been those wingers, and them being massive disappointments honestly just seems inevitable in this organization, and nobody knows why.

Beyond that, every team has holes and it's all nitpicking.

Sure. But I think Kakko has been performing at a middle 6 level. Not a ton of offense but he has not been a drag on his line so far.

But Laf doesn't have his strength or defensive awareness- so when he's not scoring he's a net negative. He's my wild card to potentially be traded.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sure. But I think Kakko has been performing at a middle 6 level. Not a ton of offense but he has not been a drag on his line so far.

But Laf doesn't have his strength or defensive awareness- so when he's not scoring he's a net negative. He's my wild card to potentially be traded.
Agree on Laf at this point.

I also pretty much agree on Kakko but he's in what, D+4? I think it's getting the point where we have to ask where the offense is.

We need him to be more than Benoit Pouliot to succeed, as much as I think Benoit Pouliot was the absolute stones.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Agree on Laf at this point.

I also pretty much agree on Kakko but he's in what, D+4? I think it's getting the point where we have to ask where the offense is.

We need him to be more than Benoit Pouliot to succeed, as much as I think Benoit Pouliot was the absolute stones.

Either that or he needs to learn to play the penalty kill and become a top 4 option there. I actually think Chytil-Kakko could be a serious PK forward pair, but they haven't been used that way. Getting those two involved will mean less reliance on guys like Carpenter staying in the lineup.

On the bright side, Jere Lehtinen wasn't an NHL player until 22.

It's just funny because the numbers don't tell the story with Kakko's eye test. He was barely AHL level his first season, solid the next, regressed last year, and seems to have returned this season to his sophomore form.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Either that or he needs to learn to play the penalty kill and become a top 4 option there. I actually think Chytil-Kakko could be a serious PK forward pair, but they haven't been used that way. Getting those two involved will mean less reliance on guys like Carpenter staying in the lineup.

On the bright side, Jere Lehtinen wasn't an NHL player until 22.

It's just funny because the numbers don't tell the story with Kakko's eye test. He was barely AHL level his first season, solid the next, regressed last year, and seems to have returned this season to his sophomore form.
My preference has always been to keep Mika and Kreider off the pk because you want those guys coming over the boards the shift after or if you get a pp after, so I'd love this. The only issue Chytil has is faceoffs, could we work on faceoffs with both him and Kakko, I'd guess we could make a faceoff guy out of Kakko with his strength. Kakko's biggest issue is that he doesn't trust his own shot, he needs to shoot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad