GDT: Game 23: Coyotes @ Maple Leafs - 5PM - FSAZ

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Feels amazing to win some games in a row. All that optimism a lot of us had in the off season is starting to come to fruition.

Tough week ahead with three games in four nights, against tough opponents.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm loving how Perlini is utilised on the PP. They've got him set up similar to Ovechkin, just float around in the open slot and patiently wait for a one timer or a loose puck.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Nice to see Chychrun there. And he's Incredible Hulk bursting out of his draft day suit. Damn.Very excited to see him back in action.
For reals though, it looks like he's trying to replace Chris Hemsworth in the next Thor movie

Then again, he's a gym rat who couldn't do leg day...

Reactions: Muppet

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
This defense has the potential to be one of the better in the league with Hjalmarsson and Chychrun on the ice and KConn somewhere else. This will only be true if OEL, Goose and Demers gets back to form though. But in the last couple of games (and this one in particular) they have all looked like they're moving in the right direction.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This defense has the potential to be one of the better in the league with Hjalmarsson and Chychrun on the ice and KConn somewhere else. This will only be true if OEL, Goose and Demers gets back to form though. But in the last couple of games (and this one in particular) they have all looked like they're moving in the right direction.

Nasher said basically the same thing right before game 1.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Nasher said basically the same thing right before game 1.
Isn't there some truth to it though? OEL, Hjalmarsson, Goose, Demers, Chychrun, Schenn. Looks pretty solid on paper to me. No depth beyond those to talk about though so theres no room for injuries or bad slumps. Which has been our problem.

Reactions: iSophagus

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't there some truth to it though? OEL, Hjalmarsson, Goose, Demers, Chychrun, Schenn. Looks pretty solid on paper to me. No depth beyond those to talk about though so theres no room for injuries or bad slumps. Which has been our problem.

I'd have to go back and listen, but I think he emphasized the experience. Something to the effect of "the most experienced blue line in the Pacific."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Haha, yeah I laughed during this.

"If there is a time to move OEL, this is the season and they should be looking into it..."
This is how rumors get started and most on this board believe it and fuel the fire. When things are going bad we are trading everyone.

You know your defense corps is decimated when Kevin Connauton is actually dressed for an NHL game.

KConn is a serviceable 7th D. He has been asked to do more than his talent gives. Same as Murphy last year. Injuries happen and you need depth to survive. You guys are always knocking Schenn and KConn as if they are our 1st. pairing.

Definitely playing confident for the first time this season...

In more than one phase...

Yes they are. That first PP was the best PP that I can recall. Maybe the best PP ever for the Coyotes. The way they moved that puck was a thing of beauty. The Leaf players were getting dizzy trying to follow that puck.

1) Good call to wave off the goal.
2) Hyman should have gotten a penalty.
3) Martinook should have gotten a penalty for running Andersen, too.
4) Domi!

Exactly. Why didn't Hyman get a penalty?

3-0 since putting Keller with Richardson

Not saying I called it but I suggested it

I remembered you mentioned that. I don't think I would have done that as Richardson is a bit slow, but it is working. I wonder if we can find a young C who maybe is a little faster than Richardson. ;)

Nice win guys, you earned it, the leafs played like crap and deserved the loss, i don't believe you guys are as bad as your record says, i vehemently disagree with the disallowed goal but thats mostly because of the NHL's inconsistencies with goalie interference calls. Until the next one!

Thanks, but maybe the Leafs played like crap is because the Coyotes made them play like crap. Give credit where credit is due.

I agree with today's call, but completely agree with you about how inconsistent they are with enforcing goalie interference. It's kind of a crap shoot.

It's the NHL. This has been going on for years, and it's getting worse not better.

That was a blast, I didn't really give us much of a chance, but that's why they play the games. The boys may just be starting to get things figured out. Wins should do a lot to help progress.

Special teams being the difference, if they can stay strong we can win some games.

I agree, and we are finally starting to win the majority of our FO's. There was the second and third effort tonight from the gang, something we have not seen this year, and what you need to win in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Man, it feels nice to win some games doesn't it?!

Was a fun game to watch and got really close at the end there. I agreed with the overturned goal (besides being biased... just makes sense that you can't spear a goalie).

Very glad to see the team play a solid game, have some beautiful PP, Keller getting points, and Domi getting his goal! Let's hope that he can relax about that now and just do what he does best. Extremely ready for the next game!!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Leafs fan here. You guys have a lot to be happy about right now. That was a good game. Just a few points from an opposing fan who has an soft spot for the Coyotes:

-Raanta was good. Really good. This guy is starter material, no doubt in my mind.

-Keller is a special kind of talent. Arizona is bursting with youth up front, but Keller stands out above the rest.

-That defense group is good enough to compete. Goligoski was very noticeable in a good way. He's probably the most underrated player in the league.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Goligoski and OEL both had good games by any standard. OEL has struggled to play up to his own standards and at times this season Goligoski has been bad compared to even the lowest standards. I'd love to see both of them figure out whatever they need to figure out, and return to the form both had two seasons ago, and for several season before that. Both had lackluster seasons last year, and tough starts this year. Two years ago Goligoski was a legit top D and OEL was elite. If we can combine that with a healthy Chychrun and a healthy Hjalmarsson, we'll win more than we lose.

Reactions: CC96 and iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Goligoski and OEL both had good games by any standard. OEL has struggled to play up to his own standards and at times this season Goligoski has been bad compared to even the lowest standards. I'd love to see both of them figure out whatever they need to figure out, and return to the form both had two seasons ago, and for several season before that. Both had lackluster seasons last year, and tough starts this year. Two years ago Goligoski was a legit top D and OEL was elite. If we can combine that with a healthy Chychrun and a healthy Hjalmarsson, we'll win more than we lose.

Couldn't agree more.

Is there a reason for Goligoski's recent struggles? I don't follow the team all that much. But I remember being a fan of his when he was in Dallas, and he always seemed super consistent. Is his age starting to show, or something else? In my opinion the overall strength of the D position in Arizona should ease his workload a bit. I expected him to improve a little this season by getting a few less minutes, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad