GDT: Game 23: Coyotes @ Maple Leafs - 5PM - FSAZ

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was actually asking the same thing - if the referee states 'goalie intearference' in the explanation... doesn't that mean that a penalty is involved. Pardon my stupidity or ignorance, but is tha?t because they called it a goal on the ice and then went to video review, you can't use review to determine a penalty?

Yeah, you can't call a penalty on video review during a game. Worst that can happen is that they can use video replay from a game to determine supplementary discipline, even if there wasn't a penalty called on the play during the game.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yet scored twice...weird.

(Note to self. I before E except after C, and the word "weird")
English is so dumb. I remember learning Spanish and being blown away at how much more sense it makes.

Nice win guys, you earned it, the leafs played like crap and deserved the loss, i don't believe you guys are as bad as your record says, i vehemently disagree with the disallowed goal but thats mostly because of the NHL's inconsistencies with goalie interference calls. Until the next one!
The only consistency is inconsistency.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Nice win guys, you earned it, the leafs played like crap and deserved the loss, i don't believe you guys are as bad as your record says, i vehemently disagree with the disallowed goal but thats mostly because of the NHL's inconsistencies with goalie interference calls. Until the next one!

Yeah if I was a Leafs fan I would be pissed right now so I understand man. Sucks also it was Matthews that got it taken away but it happens. Keep kicking ass and don't let games like this get to you guys too much.

Reactions: firstemperor

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Players are responsible for their stick, same as a high sticking penalty. Not a fun way to have a goal taken away but I prefer consistency.

Except there's not much consistency with what's considered goalie interference and what's not. Today this goal is disallowed, tomorrow with the exact same play with different refs it might've counted. And if you want to talk about inconsistency just look at last year's Ducks/Oilers game 5 in the playoffs where Kesler had his hand in one of Talbot's pads for several seconds and that goal counted. Wayyyy more interference and that counts and yet a slight tap where the goalie was able to recover and its a no goal.

There has to be some way to have more consistency with calls like this.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I was actually asking the same thing - if the referee states 'goalie intearference' in the explanation... doesn't that mean that a penalty is involved. Pardon my stupidity or ignorance, but is tha?t because they called it a goal on the ice and then went to video review, you can't use review to determine a penalty?

No, goalie interference doesn't automatically require a penalty. Without copying and breaking down the rule book, short summary:

- Intentional goalie interference by a player is a penalty.

- Goalie interference by a player that's not ruled intentional can still result in the goal being disallowed without a penalty.

In this case the Toronto War Room most likely ruled that Hyman was in the crease and made contact with Raanta. Regardless of whether that contact was intentional by Hyman--or even if Raanta initiated himself--so long as that contact prohibits the goalie from defending his net and the player (Hyman) wasn't forced into the crease/contact by a defending player then a goal can be disallowed without penalty.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Except there's not much consistency with what's considered goalie interference and what's not. Today this goal is disallowed, tomorrow with the exact same play with different refs it might've counted. And if you want to talk about inconsistency just look at last year's Ducks/Oilers game 5 in the playoffs where Kesler had his hand in one of Talbot's pads for several seconds and that goal counted. Wayyyy more interference and that counts and yet a slight tap where the goalie was able to recover and its a no goal.

There has to be some way to have more consistency with calls like this.
I agree with today's call, but completely agree with you about how inconsistent they are with enforcing goalie interference. It's kind of a crap shoot.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maybe a bit lost in the shuffle, but Keller with a 2 point night and controlled the PP.

His passing is so good. Like Domi, I think he needs to stick with consistent linemates to gain some chemistry. The puck is on and off his stick in the blink of an eye. You have to be ready for that as his linemate.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That was a blast, I didn't really give us much of a chance, but that's why they play the games. The boys may just be starting to get things figured out. Wins should do a lot to help progress.

Special teams being the difference, if they can stay strong we can win some games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad