GDT: Game 23: Coyotes 7.0 or something @ Wild - 6PM - FSAZ+ (11/27)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The way the fourth line played was the perfect example of how this team needs to play. Did the other lines take notice?
I said this a while back and it's still true, the uncertainty is do they have the balls to do it? And if they do can they sustain the high effort level for an entire season.

Someone mentioned Strome looking gassed playing with Kane - I have no doubt, as he probably gave some effort - something he didn't do much of here.

Jakey: You're obviously not eating any crow because your yap is still running against Archibald.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's fine - but let's not also throw him a parade because he basically happened to be in a position where 4 (I thought only 3) Vegas players were within stick's reach of the puck and he basically had to punch it towards a fairly wide open net (there was a defenseman in front, but the puck was so deep, it would have been very hard to not put the puck on net, at the very least). Did he put himself in the right position? Sure. But was Strome the one who brought Fleury so far out of his crease that it forced the Knights to collapse, which basically took the defense out of position and led to the goal? Or was that Kane and Debrincat's efforts and Strome just kind of happened to be in the "right place, right time?" (Watch the video again - the only time Strome was within 5 feet of the puck in the entire sequence was when he happened to be in the right position to follow up). We had used that "right place, right time" logic quite a lot back when chatting about Strome after drafting him - he doesn't look like he is doing much, but when you go back and look at the box score, somehow, he managed to get some points. Seems like we have long known that he needs other players to drive things for him, and then when the other players get the defense out of position, he happens to be the one to capitalize.

My question is that since we were shooting so much and getting the high number of shots off that we were, why is it that we didn't see more of this from Strome overall when he was here? Why was there a lack of driving the net, since people talk about that aspect of his game last night? Is that b/c Strome had a wake-up call from the trade? Is that b/c he was playing with better overall linemates? Is it the system in general? Or was it reuniting he and Debrincat that established some chemistry? Or was it b/c Kane is just that talented of a player that he opens up many more lanes for his linemates?

All of those questions are things that we don't have here. We didn't have a great amount of established chemistry between Strome and some other players. There may have been some chemistry, but we also didn't scare any teams into forcing their defense to adjust that much with any established chemistry, either. That is about the only thing that we can get pissed at the coaching staff for, but we see that players that have that "entitled" feel don't mesh well with any type of coach - whether Turris/Tippett or Strome/Tocchet. Ron Wilson was with Toronto in the 2009 season - he healthy scratched Matt Stajan often early in the year 2008-09. But Stajan manned up and took it as something he needed to learn from. He set career highs in points that year, so sometimes, the player needs to sit back and realize that getting sat can be a motivating tool when the player isn't quite up to par with what is needed.

We didn't always see the effort from Strome. We don't have Patrick Kane - we have someone who models his game after Kane, but Kane didn't see the decrease in production from year 1 to year 2 that we are seeing with Keller (although Keller is not a huge concern to produce going forward). We are working towards a similar talent level to what the Hawks have at forward, but we are a significantly younger team at this juncture, and still learning the ropes.

I do understand that a good goal and a bad goal still count as a goal, but when the goal comes from what everyone else around you does to set you up - that still may not mean that you can't do more.

I wasn't talking about Strome. I'm done talking about that trade . I was talking about goals in general. Many players have made a career out of standing in front of the net, or being around the net looking for rebounds.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We will never know will we. They never even tried Strome with Keller. That's what I was saying all along, they didn't put Strome in a position to succeed. Why didn't they at least try Strome and Keller together? It worked with Domi last year. It doesn't matter who Kane plays with, he will drive that line, nothing wrong with that. If you think 5 or six games will decide what kind of player Strome will be in Chicago you should try and get a job with the Coyotes because that is there philosophy.
Yeah, appears you're all done talking about it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The way the fourth line played was the perfect example of how this team needs to play. Did the other lines take notice?
I said this a while back and it's still true, the uncertainty is do they have the balls to do it? And if they do can they sustain the high effort level for an entire season.

Someone mentioned Strome looking gassed playing with Kane - I have no doubt, as he probably gave some effort - something he didn't do much of here.

Jakey: You're obviously not eating any crow because your yap is still running against Archibald.

I'll give credit where credit is due. Archibald played a damn fine game. I'm more than happy for the kid. I don't think the other lines took notice as they were AWOL the entire game.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
How do you not give it to Archie?

Josh Archibald - 2g, 3pts
Adin Hill - 5 saves

Absolutely agree. Was this Hills first win? Should five saves really trump a three-point game by a fourth-liner, possibly the game of his life?

At least up to now. Let's add that. :arr:

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Archibald is the stick, he knows his role isn't to get the accolades.

Also if Hill gets sent down he might not be here to pass it to somebody else :laugh:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A win is obviously better than a loss but getting those points felt dirty. They did not play well, they did not look good but yay...2 points.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Archibald could get in alone on the goalie several times a game consistently he wouldn't be waiver fodder. He'd be Grabner.

No adjustment after that Detroit game, Minny just pissed away points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad