Game #22: Kings vs. Lightning - 11/19/13 - Regulation Win! 5-2

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Guys just wondering, is our defense better with out Greene this year? We're sure winning alot and most solid defensively we've ever looked.

I haven't missed him as much as I thought I might have. And there was a stat post NY rangers game that AMart had not been on the ice for any goals against since he came in to fill in for Greene.

The PK has looked much better and has been much better since he went down. That might be him being out for a year and maybe it takes time to get your whole game back, but it is giving DL a lot to think about.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Model62 said:
Ugh. Just finished the DVR.

Somehow Dumbardi both traded the wrong goaltender AND while doing so failed to bring back the LW the club has needed since before he got here.

Model62 said:
They haven't had the security of great goaltending all season. He's been average, at best, with a good coupla periods here and there (such as the 1st v. the 'Nucks Saturday).

Model62 said:
The team managed 40+ shots on goal and dominated throughout, with a couple of brief Sabres' flurries. Miller had something to prove tonight and proved it.

The franchise goalie gave up 2 on a dozen or so shots (not the first time in 13-14, check his SV%), and injured himself for God knows how many games after over reacting to the first shot (his MO), and relying on his athleticism to recover. Meanwhile, the GM's cap management has handcuffed his ability to make moves to fill in for a hurt #2 RW and a hurt franchise goaltender.

Frattin looked great on the 4th line... five shots in the first period alone!

Nope, nothing legit here!

Model62 said:
The GM's cap management means there's no room to bring up the depth (such as Pearson), anyways.

Frattin may grow into something more than a bottom six RW, but as the key piece of the Bernier trade --- it's not looking great so far.

Early days, of course. Maybe he'll get another shot at LW?

Let's just say I'm enjoying the crow.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I have no idea why you guys always feel the need to blame someone. FWIW, just because Greene's been out, and our defense numbers have improved, it doesn't necessarily mean that Greene had been playing poorly. Guys like RR and WM have dusted off some of their rust; Voynov's been playing better; Muzzin's been better etc. Besides, Sutter actually changed up the lines a few games prior to Greene going down. Let's also keep in mind that majority of the games have been against the east since Greene's been out.

It's a team effort gentlemen and ladies. Embrace the team, and stop blaming individual players.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Let's also keep in mind that majority of the games have been against the east since Greene's been out.

It's a team effort gentlemen and ladies. Embrace the team, and stop blaming individual players.

Indeed. When the competition gets beefier and better along the boards, we'll wonder what happened to the game Vey and Voynov were playing and how much longer until Greene returns.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Scrivens will get plenty of time to earn that new contract this summer:

Rudy Kelly ‏@rudykelly 6m Who? "@JSportsnet: Wow... Dean Lombardi just told HockeyCentral at noon that Jonathan Quick will be out at least another month.”

and

PumperNicholl ‏@PumperNicholl 11h OMG that's the zip code for Philadelphia. RUN BEN! RUN!!! RT @lakingsinsider: And Ben Scrivens finally allows one. Streak ends at 191:19.

that's funny!

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Agree with this. Muzzin is probably the biggest liability on defense throughout our D-corps. However, he has the most offensive upside and a shot on the PP that may be the best on the team.

I believe DS underrates Martinez. He was part of our cup run and is pretty solid all the way around. He's a beautiful skater and i'm sure all you guys can appreciate the moments where he jumps into a play to make things happen.

All in all, we have been excellent on defense in the past handful of games. It's amazing to watch. Doughty has been playing great. I think Mitchell still looks a step slow, but he should be in form by the end of the year. Even Regehr is putting together a fantastic stretch. I like the new pairings.

I think Sutter should play Martinez more and Muzzin less. Muzzin needs sheltered minutes, playing him against other teams top lines is defensive suicide. There is no doubting his offensively ability, so first PP unit should be Muzzin, but 5 on 5 should be Martinez.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

Rudy Kelly ‏@rudykelly 6m Who? "@JSportsnet: Wow... Dean Lombardi just told HockeyCentral at noon that Jonathan Quick will be out at least another month.â€

No point in rushing back from a groin injury. With the way Quick does the splits in the crease, he can re-aggravate that EASY.

I think a lot of people need to look at Ranford as the reason our goalies have developed so well. When is the last time we've had a bad goalie? Cloutier? Bernier, Quick, Scrivens...they all have looked solid. I think a big part of it is the way our defense plays, but you gotta look at the guys coaching these goalies as well.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Rudy Kelly ‏@rudykelly 6m Who? "@JSportsnet: Wow... Dean Lombardi just told HockeyCentral at noon that Jonathan Quick will be out at least another month.â€

Ugh.... Hopefully Jones is up for the task. Despite Sutter obviously going to try and ride Scrivens' hot streak for all its worth, sooner or later Jones is going to see a few starts.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
How (pardon the pun) quick did you guys think he would be back anyway? Yesterday marked just one week since the injury, so 3 more weeks was probably a safe assumption anyway. What's one more?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Muzzin/Drew have yet to be scored on 5 on 5.

Where did you get that stat from lol, it's not true at all. They've been scored on many times. Muzzin has only been a plus player twice in 9 or 10 games they've played together. I went to the San Jose game and they got scored on their first shift.

When our defense sucked Martinez - Greene was out best pairing. The lack of Greene has nothing to do with our improves play. We're scoring now without Carter should we get rid of Carter too? /s

Last edited:

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Ugh.... Hopefully Jones is up for the task. Despite Sutter obviously going to try and ride Scrivens' hot streak for all its worth, sooner or later Jones is going to see a few starts.

I'm guessing the earliest we see Jones is the Flames next Saturday.

Now watch Sutter put Jones in against the Devils tomorrow night.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

If Jones is up with us for a month, does he have to clear waivers to be reassigned to Manchester after Quick comes back?

Be interesting to if he does. I could see a team that is down and out taking a flyer on him to be the backup.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
unrelated question, but didn't think it deserved its own thread, but are any of the white line kids subject to that whole 10 games mark? Or are they already in their entry level contract, so whether they play 10 games or not has no effect on them.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
unrelated question, but didn't think it deserved its own thread, but are any of the white line kids subject to that whole 10 games mark? Or are they already in their entry level contract, so whether they play 10 games or not has no effect on them.

10 games is for players going to juniors not AHL guys.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Where did you get that stat from lol, it's not true at all. They've been scored on many times. Muzzin has only been a plus player twice in 9 or 10 games they've played together. I went to the San Jose game and they got scored on their first shift.

When our defense sucked Martinez - Greene was out best pairing. The lack of Greene has nothing to do with our improves play. We're scoring now without Carter should we get rid of Carter too? /s

Muzzin was a -4 very early in the season -- he is now -1 and should be even (getting robbed of a + last night on the Kopi goal). The Muzzin/Greene pairing was awful. Moreover, Muzzin's offense is > his defensive shortcomings (which are grossly exaggerated). Doughty has figured out how to take advantage of his passing out of the zone to catch the other team napping.

It might make sense to rotate Greene, Regehr and Mitchell although there is some risk in that.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
When Quick went down, a few people said, "okay, time for Doughty and Kopitar to put this team on their back."

That they have.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
How (pardon the pun) quick did you guys think he would be back anyway? Yesterday marked just one week since the injury, so 3 more weeks was probably a safe assumption anyway. What's one more?

I don't expect Quick back in just a month. That seems to be the minimum for this kind of injury. I'm thinking closer to 2.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When Quick went down, a few people said, "okay, time for Doughty and Kopitar to put this team on their back."

That they have.

Heck yes. Doughty has looked like Norris/Olympic Doughty. Can't fault our best players now. Love that Kopitar is going to the net again. It's beautiful.

I'm sorry, I just can't even say good game to the Kings after that.

We had the flu!

:laugh:

Well played, sir.

I like these guys, minus their one village idiot.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

That they have.

This, the fact these 2 have elevated their game, to their actual capabilities is why the Kings are playing so well . What's the old saying a high tide raises all boats.

Doughty is playing like he did when he was considered for the Norris. And Kopi is playing as well as he ever has as a King.

The forecheck last night was on level of the cup run. Tampa is a very good passing team, and we just snuffed them out.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi mentioned today Nolan was hurt...Someone else said he was banged up and that's why he missed Saturday's game...Is he healthy? Can't find anything.

I gave him credit when he was playing well last season in January and February, feel free to look it up. Well, since then there isn't really to much to be praise worthy.

I just don't get why the same thing is posted after every win, like the Kings board is the only board where this happens. We have a good board here, good mix of somewhat pessimistic people (which I would include myself in) to very pessimistic people to people like yourself and Scottkmlps who think every player walks on water. Makes for good discussion, but I don't think certain people disappear when the Kings win.

It is a bit ironic to see you complain about somebody posting the same thing repeatedly. Sound familiar?

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Lombardi mentioned today Nolan was hurt...Someone else said he was banged up and that's why he missed Saturday's game...Is he healthy? Can't find anything.

If you watch the replay of the big hit he put on, I think he banged himself up at the same time.

He seemed to be cringing on the bench too. It might be what happened but I couldn't see what it hurt on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad