GDT: Game 22: Kings @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Why the **** is Ryan White on the ice down a goal with 30 seconds to go?

Why the **** is Shane Doan on the ice down a goal with a minute to go?

I don't agree with them being out there, ever, over anyone, but I do get it. They are there to with the board battles and cause chaos in the crease. Two things Doan doesn't do anymore, though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Using our team's speed we force the defense to go back and give us space. That isn't what we usually do, we usually get the puck out of our zone and look to dump which gives the D time to close the gap.

With this team's speed we can dictate the pressure we put on to a point.

And we are losing again.

And now we are on the PP. This game is a mess.

Right, so when we played the Sharks the other night (or other teams for that matter), are those teams simply cramping the neutral zone and forcing our best option to dump the puck in? That kind of speaks to your second point. If other teams cram the neutral zone, our speed can be somewhat neutralized and we have to figure out other ways to use our speed.

Like I said - if we only choose dump and chase as some people assume that we do, then that would be reflected in the rear view mirror. Maybe this was the one game where Tippett called up Sutter and told him how our forum was complaining about dump and chase and that he needed LA to play a different defensive gameplan so we could all rest easy knowing that we don't dump and chase all the time. :sarcasm:

We got some good possession on dump and chase early. Got some extended possession time and a few good shots out of it. If we are more consistent with that, more posters might be happy, but that also comes down to the players executing better.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Always disappointing to hear skilled forwards talking about the need to get the puck deep.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Ryan ****ing White. The extra attacker.

Ryan White.

This team doesn't have a problem. Tippett is still adapting. You have to have patience. It's his first year rebuilding.

On the bright side there were brief moments of offense and we had more than 4 shots a period. Mostly though we seem to be on the plan to completely turtle and hope Rieder or Max or Duke can get a breakaway.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
LA is in decline and a slow team ... and although they can still beat us at the moment i think we will overtake them next year. They still have a few good players and that showed up with Kopitar making a play at the end there. Kopitar punk'd Domi on that game winning goal. That was a bad ****up and very unlike Max. He doesn't make many mistakes so he can learn from this. Exciting game. Even in the loss, the last 6 minutes or so were wild. Really thought we'd tie it up on that late PP.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I just heard Tippett's post game. He was angry with the team. Really angry. I haven't heard him this angry in about 3 years. He said that what was really frustrating was that this morning he had the team practice drills in zone exit and zone entry. When asked by Lady Sarah what he could do to change things, he said something like "get players who can do it." I took that as a threat to his team that trades or waivers were about to occur.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just heard Tippett's post game. He was angry with the team. Really angry. I haven't heard him this angry in about 3 years. He said that what was really frustrating was that this morning he had the team practice drills in zone exit and zone entry. When asked by Lady Sarah what he could do to change things, he said something like "get players who can do it." I took that as a threat to his team that trades or waivers were about to occur.

Always disappointing to hear skilled forwards talking about the need to get the puck deep.

I rather enjoy living in my bubble of never listening to post-game comments :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Was he made that they didn't dump the puck in deep often enough?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It sounded to me like the drills were to carry the puck out of their own zone and to carry the puck into the other zone, not dump the puck deep. Anybody else hear the interview? Thoughts?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Courtesy of a tweet by Lady Sara Mclellen Tippet said "We need some people that can do the job."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Courtesy of a tweet by Lady Sara Mclellen Tippet said "We need some people that can do the job."

If the job is dumping the puck and cycling it, show him the door
If the job is carrying the puck over the line and making skill plays, I agree

This is largely his roster and he knew what he was getting. The best forward at carrying the puck has been mentioned in trade rumors. So just what is it that he's thinking?

So I'm inclined to believe he wants more grinders to grind out wins. At least talking smack like that will drive a wedge between him and the room.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Having watched the presser, it definitely sounds like a trade is incoming. My biggest concern is here again we have Dave Tippett basically proclaiming that certain players (probably the young ones) are just not NHL players. And instead of coaching the up and getting them up to speed in h0a throwaway rebuild year, his preference is to just trade them and replace them "with people who can do the job". Given his evaluation history, I'm more than a little concerned.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
One of our best lines at maintaining puck control and entering the zone has two players he doesn't trust, Dvo and Duke. That seems odd?

The worst line at doing this is actually Doan's line and the fourth line. Definitely getting mixed signals here.

EDIT: Also weird to see him so upset after a game where we may have looked our best all season. Even our talking heads said as much. We looked dreadful for so many games and he was content, we lose against a better team by one goal playing pretty damn good hockey and he's furious?

Last edited:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Noh my god Tippett, those kids have families.

Pretty funny that we play one of the more entertaining games of the season and he ****ing blows up about it. I was watching the LA feed, and even they were pretty impressed by the way the Coyotes were playing :dunno:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

tl;dw "everyone must be Rieder, even though I had very little to do with him learning the two way game."

It would be nice to have 12 Rieders but that's not going to happen, so work with what you have rather than having a temper tantrum.

Just confirms my worst fears about him being 100% fixated on two way players to the exclusion of everything else. Also a really weird game to be that upset about.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

tl;dw "everyone must be Rieder, even though I had very little to do with him learning the two way game."

It would be nice to have 12 Rieders but that's not going to happen, so work with what you have rather than having a temper tantrum.

Just confirms my worst fears about him being 100% fixated on two way players to the exclusion of everything else. Also a really weird game to be that upset about.

Didn't see the game but what he's saying doesn't make sense. When he broke down the periods it sounded pretty good for how most of the games have gone. Sounded like the 2nd was good, 1st and 3rd were average, some good some bad. But then overall the game is garbage?

And his praise for Rieder and saying other guys should be like him also doesn't make sense. He's a fast two way player. You need speed in the NHL now... Who isn't fast and isn't good in both ends? The guys who aren't fast and aren't great in both ends are who? Vrbata? Avg D, slow... Doan? Age is showing it's effects in all areas of his game. Doesn't make any sense.

And if the young guys had mistakes, what do you expect? You know that's gonna happen when you have this many young players on the team. There are going to be losses due to turnovers.

For the zone entries, what went wrong? Were they dumping it in a lot tonight, or were they trying to carry it in?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I caught the last ten minutes or so, that Rieder goal was filthy. The collapse was extra painful because it's the kings. Damn I hate the kings.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, we are taking what the defense gives us. The way some people speak of dump and chase around here, it is like we know nothing else and choose to dump and chase even when the opportunity exists to skate/pass the puck into the zone. Haven't really seen any time when a player has forgone a truly better opportunity to move the puck in by choosing dump and chase.

Correct. I did a XX last night and did a rough count on the dumps vs skate/pass and it was 15/37, and many of the dumps was a line change or the D, especially Murph, Stone and Schenn just shooting it in. Not sure if XX was into the kool aid when he did his count, but like you said you take what the D gives us.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well it was entertaining at least.

Got a lot of points they didn't deserve the last couple weeks so it was bound to go the other way.

I agree. I thought we played a fairly good game, but DT was not happy at all. He was right when he said he we had to many turnovers. Duclair and Domi's resulted in goals, and I think Dvo's did too. But overall, I see many positives with this team. On most nights we are giving the other team all they can handle.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Right, so when we played the Sharks the other night (or other teams for that matter), are those teams simply cramping the neutral zone and forcing our best option to dump the puck in? That kind of speaks to your second point. If other teams cram the neutral zone, our speed can be somewhat neutralized and we have to figure out other ways to use our speed.

Like I said - if we only choose dump and chase as some people assume that we do, then that would be reflected in the rear view mirror. Maybe this was the one game where Tippett called up Sutter and told him how our forum was complaining about dump and chase and that he needed LA to play a different defensive gameplan so we could all rest easy knowing that we don't dump and chase all the time. :sarcasm:

We got some good possession on dump and chase early. Got some extended possession time and a few good shots out of it. If we are more consistent with that, more posters might be happy, but that also comes down to the players executing better.

Good post. Like when we played Edmonton, we cramed the neutral zone to nullify their speed, especially McDavid and it worked like a charm. You take what other teams give you, it's not cut and dry like some posters think.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One of our best lines at maintaining puck control and entering the zone has two players he doesn't trust, Dvo and Duke. That seems odd?

The worst line at doing this is actually Doan's line and the fourth line. Definitely getting mixed signals here.

EDIT: Also weird to see him so upset after a game where we may have looked our best all season. Even our talking heads said as much. We looked dreadful for so many games and he was content, we lose against a better team by one goal playing pretty damn good hockey and he's furious?

It's because he knows hockey and what to look for and we don't. This was not our best game by any stretch, but I was happy with their play, except for their turnovers at critical times, which resulted in goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad