GDT: Game 22: Coyotes @ Senators - FSAZ - Hockey In the Afternoon

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sounds like Duclair had a decent game but was he sticky? Tocc likes sticky.

Duke had a breakaway for the first goal that ended with Mike Condon's shorts dangling from the Senators' arena roof - it was one of those purely beautiful dangles that just warms your heart. Apparently, Condon never recovered from it, because on the second and third goals Condon whiffed mightily. On the second, he skated out to poke-check the puck away on another outlet-pass breakaway and either tripped or dove too late, resulting in the puck squirting free from under his armpit and setting Duclair up with a gloriously empty net. On the third, Duke was carrying the puck, crossed over at the circles, and took a shot from the near slot, which Condon caught five-hole... and then the puck trickled slowly through and across the goal line (on replays, Duke was already skating away as if preparing for the upcoming faceoff, and then belatedly raises his arms to celebrate about three seconds later - that's how slowly it rolled through Condon's pads).

On the whole, the game itself was full of breakaways and odd-man rushes. Raanta basically came up huge again and our backcheck was strong late in the game.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Who were Duclair's linemates? I see Domi didn't have an assist. Nice to see Duclair score but doing it without a sweet pass from Domi would be good for him. If you remember his highlight reel from his first season, I'd bet over half his goals were set up by Domi.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The hat trick will keep him in the line up for a while. He still has to improve his play without the puck to stay long term. Nothing like having some confidence now, I am really happy for Duke. Maybe the DDD line will click.

This was the best game without the puck that he's played for the Coyotes. He received puck luck from the hockey gods as a token of their appreciation.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Fun DOM stat o'the day: Coyotes are 2-0-0 this season when playing while I'm on a commercial cross country flight (Flyers, heh, was the other). I had planned to get back in time for the black Friday game, but maybe I should change to a later flight...

I checked my phone at baggage claim and it was "hey whaddyaknow we won again!...Duke...Duke...and...Duke! :laugh: "

Reactions: AZviaNJ

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Good for Duke! I think he has looked good at times. Don't get the double standard. If anyone is slow to the puck on the boards its OEL.
The issue I have with Duke's treatment - scratched or on the 4th line. He has the ability to score. He is not shy about shooting. He is one of 3 or 4 guys that can do this.
I understand there are some guys like Rinaldo, Martinook, Cousins or Kempe that work hard - but don't have that natural ability to score and I'd rather have Duke in the lineup.
Martinook is needed for the PK.. And I like what Rinaldo brings to the team - which I was completely wrong about when the season started.
But look at what Duke can do playing with play-makers.

The one player that has been really noticeable in a positive way is Stepan - I do think Stepan gets a bad review because he is not flashy nor fast. But he plays solid.
His game has looked good. And with a real goalie playing regularly - we look more like a real team. I really would like to see how we look with Chychrun.

I don't think the system we play is the issue as many have noted. What we are missing is elite scorers. Guys that have a top noitch shot and know how to score. We only have
Keller, Perlini and Duke. We need more guys who can finish. Of our top forwards, Domi is struggling to score and so is Stepan. Reider is not the answer. He's solid, but he's not highly skilled - Its more about speed in his game. We really miss a guy like Vrbata.
Fischer is quickly turning into a cheaper version of Hanzal in the offensive zone and in front of the net.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good for Duke! I think he has looked good at times. Don't get the double standard. If anyone is slow to the puck on the boards its OEL.
The issue I have with Duke's treatment - scratched or on the 4th line. He has the ability to score. He is not shy about shooting. He is one of 3 or 4 guys that can do this.
I understand there are some guys like Rinaldo, Martinook, Cousins or Kempe that work hard - but don't have that natural ability to score and I'd rather have Duke in the lineup.
Martinook is needed for the PK.. And I like what Rinaldo brings to the team - which I was completely wrong about when the season started.
But look at what Duke can do playing with play-makers.

The one player that has been really noticeable in a positive way is Stepan - I do think Stepan gets a bad review because he is not flashy nor fast. But he plays solid.
His game has looked good. And with a real goalie playing regularly - we look more like a real team. I really would like to see how we look with Chychrun.

I don't think the system we play is the issue as many have noted. What we are missing is elite scorers. Guys that have a top noitch shot and know how to score. We only have
Keller, Perlini and Duke. We need more guys who can finish. Of our top forwards, Domi is struggling to score and so is Stepan. Reider is not the answer. He's solid, but he's not highly skilled - Its more about speed in his game. We really miss a guy like Vrbata.
Fischer is quickly turning into a cheaper version of Hanzal in the offensive zone and in front of the net.

The problem with Duke is his consistency. Stepan is starting to play better, much better in fact, and I hope he continues to play well but I'm still disappointed with his over all play as I still think he has to do better. Fischer on the other hand has found his game at the NHL level and is starting to look like a power forward and I love his net presence.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Good for Duke! I think he has looked good at times. I'd rather have Duke in the lineup.

I don't think the system we play is the issue as many have noted. .

I think we'd all like to see Duke in the line up, I think both DT and RT would have liked to have him game in and game out, it's been & will be up to Duke. I still say give him 20'games with Domi and see if he'll make it happen because at this point it just doesn't matter.

As for the system - it's gradually being adjusted to sensibility.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we'd all like to see Duke in the line up, I think both DT and RT would have liked to have him game in and game out, it's been & will be up to Duke. I still say give him 20'games with Domi and see if he'll make it happen because at this point it just doesn't matter.

As for the system - it's gradually being adjusted to sensibility.

Or is it the players, mostly the vets, starting to play to their capability, or maybe a bit of both. I think they paired Duke with Domi to try and get Domi going. Funny how that goes.:)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Or is it the players, mostly the vets, starting to play to their capability, or maybe a bit of both. I think they paired Duke with Domi to try and get Domi going. Funny how that goes.:)

A bit of both and absolutely - gotta love the irony.
Now give 'em those 20 together!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who were Duclair's linemates? I see Domi didn't have an assist. Nice to see Duclair score but doing it without a sweet pass from Domi would be good for him. If you remember his highlight reel from his first season, I'd bet over half his goals were set up by Domi.

The first two goals were stretch passes from defensemen. Demers got the assist on the first, and OEL and Gogo got the assists on the second. The third was in OT and OEL and Stepan were out with him, but Duke carried it into the zone alone IIRC.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This was the best game without the puck that he's played for the Coyotes. He received puck luck from the hockey gods as a token of their appreciation.
I didn't see Duke creating turnovers on a forecheck or back checking hard, but I didn't see him turn the puck over or miss an assignment either. The scoring play was made by the D on stretch passes. If Duke gets a goal a game there is no way he can be out of the line up. Domi/Reider/Martinook will always be in the line up because of their all around play even when their production is low. I'm pulling for Duke to pick up the other parts of his game and I hope this game gives him the confidence and future ice time to make it happen.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I am tired of the “the problem with Duclair is ________”. There are problems with every player. You can point out a weak spot for every player in the league.

But for some reason when it’s Duclair, the answer to bust him down to the fourth line or healthy scratch. FFS just put him in a position so that the team can benefit from his strengths.

He and Domi are a natural fit. Put 16-18-10 on the ice - call it the third line if you have the need to keep beating on Duclair - and watch the goals roll in...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I am tired of the “the problem with Duclair is ________”. There are problems with every player. You can point out a weak spot for every player in the league.

But for some reason when it’s Duclair, the answer to bust him down to the fourth line or healthy scratch. FFS just put him in a position so that the team can benefit from his strengths.

He and Domi are a natural fit. Put 16-18-10 on the ice - call it the third line if you have the need to keep beating on Duclair - and watch the goals roll in...
Agree. Feels like he's been held to a different standard.

Not only did he have a hattie yesterday, I also counted (at least) twice that he not only went into the corner to battle, but also came away with the puck.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

I see what you did there.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

If anything Domi needs to have Duke teach him a thing or two abou scoring this year, considering Max has 10 goals over the last 2 seasons combined.

Not to mention Duke already has more points than him, in less games, with significantly worse linemates.

On the real though, Max's sub 4 goal pace is totally unacceptable for a top line player, who's supposed to be one of our top scorers. Bench his ass.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I am tired of the “the problem with Duclair is ________”. There are problems with every player.

The reason why there is so much speculation about the "problem" with Duclair is because no other player on this roster has a wider discrepancy between the type of player almost everyone believes he is or could be and the kind of treatment he has gotten from two completely disparate coaching staffs. It's an entire supertanker full of cognitive dissonance, so people are left fishing to try to explain it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
One good game and he’s an all star. You guys have such a short memory. I want him to play and succeed, but he did have a major gaffe last game. He turned the puck over unforced at the blue line leading to a great scoring opportunity for the Sens. He got a lecture upon returning to the bench which was caught on TV.

He deserves to play, but he’s still a wild card every game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Im guessing sarcasm?
He does too many things well to bench.

Duclair has played the same or better than Domi this year, the only difference being Domi is constantly spoon fed primo minutes whereas Duclair has to beg for what he can get.

The reason why there is so much speculation about the "problem" with Duclair is because no other player on this roster has a wider discrepancy between the type of player almost everyone believes he is or could be and the kind of treatment he has gotten from two completely disparate coaching staffs. It's an entire supertanker full of cognitive dissonance, so people are left fishing to try to explain it.

In both cases you're operating under the assumption that the staffs were justified to act the way they did. Wasn't the case for the dinosaur that got fired, hasn't been the case for Rick "Kempe on the first line" Tocchet.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
One good game and he’s an all star. You guys have such a short memory. I want him to play and succeed, but he did have a major gaffe last game. He turned the puck over unforced at the blue line leading to a great scoring opportunity for the Sens. He got a lecture upon returning to the bench which was caught on TV.

He deserves to play, but he’s still a wild card every game.

I agree. Watch him without the puck. Actually watch every player without the puck. Watch how Domi and Keller play without the puck, night and day difference to Duclair.
Duclair has played the same or better than Domi this year, the only difference being Domi is constantly spoon fed primo minutes whereas Duclair has to beg for what he can get.

In both cases you're operating under the assumption that the staffs were justified to act the way they did. Wasn't the case for the dinosaur that got fired, hasn't been the case for Rick "Kempe on the first line" Tocchet.
Duke hasn't played better then Domi this year, not even close. Try watching all players without the puck on their stick, thats what coaches watch to determine ice time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe there's a chart somewhere in which you could interpet that, but that statement is so far from reality, it's flat out dumbfounding.

Duclair has 10 points in 16gp with mostly scrubs
Domi has 10 points in 22gp having never been outside the top 6

Duclair is even on the season while Domi is -11
Domi has enjoyed much more favorable zone starts

Plus, you know, the whole shooting under 2% for Domi thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad