Post-Game Talk: Game #21: Sharks 2, Canucks 1 in OT - At least we don't play tham again this season

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
feel bad for the sedins... they get hook 10-20 times a game and get no call.. but when they do it once, they get called on..

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
My miscellaneous thoughts from last nights game:

• San Jose killed all momentum this game could have by all the icings and offsides. It was a dud of a game by design.
  • It's amazing how much different it is having a few more tough guys in the lineup. The Sharks reminded me of us 2 years ago. No real pushback to the physical play. Even the Sedins were running around with zero response. One play that stood out was Kassian hit Boyle from behind behind the net and the puck ended up getting to Niemi, where Richardson chopped him long after it was covered. The Sharks didn't touch him, as Kassian was circling nearby. It's just nice to see the Canucks play with a little more "stiffness" as Torts likes to say.
  • Dalpe failed to get the puck deep and Torts tore a strip off him. He didn't play another shift in the third. People hate Weise here, but he makes the right play with the puck. He gets it deep and creates offensive zone faceoffs.
  • The Canucks need a 3rd line who can be trusted in their own end. The first two lines played a ton last night. It would be nice if Torts could trust 3 lines to roll when he has the lead. I don't blame Henrik for being a step behind on his BS hooking call in OT because he was probably gasses by that point.
  • Garrison is a warrior. I've noticed he's FAR more active with his stick. He was chopping everyone in sight.
  • Why does Kassian miss hitting guys on purpose? He lined up someone, then intentionally missed the hit. It was identical to the Gagner hit except he kept his stick down this time. That being said, I counted 5 turnover he created from hard work on the forecheck. If he can consistantly do that and be a bit smarter with the puck coming out of his own end, he'll have all the tools to succeed in my opinion.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This team is so frustrating...shades of 2006/07 when they struggled to score 3 goals on any given night. Except at least Luongo was all-world then.

No way they contend this year, even with a top six scorer added. I'd rather hold onto our prospects, take the 10-15th overall and continue the youth movement. If Gillis trades Horvat or Shinkaruk for someone like Erat (Forsberg) I will stop watching this team.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
In 2011 the Canucks were the best offensive team in the league. They scored the most goals. The PP was 24.3%, the best in the league.

This year the Nucks are 18th in goals per game. The PP is 10.9% 27th in the league.

This team isn't close to the 2011 team offensively.

The current team they have is not good enough offensively. The players they had in 2011 have either maintained the level of play offensively or they have got worse.

Gillis could make a few trades and add a few scorers and then they would probably be okay.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
It's easier to suggest a trade than make one. Which GM wants to give us a sniper? What kind of prized assets would we have to give up for, say, Yakupov?

Gillis had better have his eye on the trade market, but this is not the time to panic. That can wait for after the Olympic break.

JD12

Jul 11, 2008
PE, Canada
This team is so frustrating...shades of 2006/07 when they struggled to score 3 goals on any given night. Except at least Luongo was all-world then.

No way they contend this year, even with a top six scorer added. I'd rather hold onto our prospects, take the 10-15th overall and continue the youth movement. If Gillis trades Horvat or Shinkaruk for someone like Erat (Forsberg) I will stop watching this team.

Grrr so mad this team doesn't score but they better not trade for someone who can.

And also, what's he gonna trade for the 10-15th overall cause that is simply not going to be where this team finishes despite all the fairweather fans' opinions.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Grrr so mad this team doesn't score but they better not trade for someone who can.

And also, what's he gonna trade for the 10-15th overall cause that is simply not going to be where this team finishes despite all the fairweather fans' opinions.

This is the sort of statement I loathe. You can't just call people who have a bit more of a pessimistic outlook "fairweather fans". This is so wrong and I'm getting tired of it, this attitude that other fans who don't necessarily share in the optimism are less of a fan. Garbage, and it should constitute trolling/flaming.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
It's easier to suggest a trade than make one. Which GM wants to give us a sniper? What kind of prized assets would we have to give up for, say, Yakupov?
Gillis had better have his eye on the trade market, but this is not the time to panic. That can wait for after the Olympic break.

We are all thinking it.....C'mon Gillis! Get Edler to waive his NTC. ;)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Erat can't score, that's the thing. It was a terrible deal and most rentals don't end up much better.

Even adding someone like a Thomas Vanek won't get them over the top. The goal of just making the playoffs isn't good enough. I'd rather miss for a year and get another good pick than suffer another first round exit.

LolClarkson*

To Edm Edler, Corrado
To Van Yakupov

Future top 6

Horvat-Shinkruk-Yakupov
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
To Edm Edler, Corrado
To Van Yakupov

Future top 6

Horvat-Shinkruk-Yakupov
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Edler, Gaunce, 2014 1st

For

Yakupov, 2014 1st

Edler has greater value, IMO, than Yak while Gaunce and our own 1st has less value than 2014 1st.

Gaunce could play for Edmonton next year in a 3/4C role or as a winger.

We get a potential Top 5 pick in the upcoming draft along with former #1 who could potentially score 40-50 goals a year in the future.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Holy hell no!

4pts and -15 in 18 games = top pairing d-man + NHL ready good prospect?
:biglaugh:

This is exactly why it's the perfect time for this lofty-wishful-thinking plan.
I think you need to ponder this deeper. I don't agree throwing Corrado in, but I would add more than just Edler.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
This is exactly why it's the perfect time for this lofty-wishful-thinking plan.
I think you need to ponder this deeper. I don't agree throwing Corrado in, but I would add more than just Edler.

I'm all for buying low on players, but giving up Edler+ is just way too much. Yakupov has been struggling defensively, yet he says he thinks his defensive play is "fine". Torts would eat him alive.

And of course there is always the risk of him getting extremely frustrated and bolting overseas.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'm all for buying low on players, but giving up Edler+ is just way too much. Yakupov has been struggling defensively, yet he says he thinks his defensive play is "fine". Torts would eat him alive.

And of course there is always the risk of him getting extremely frustrated and bolting overseas.

Both good points, but having the remote chance of getting a pure goal scorer and potential future star far outweighs the risks...at least to me.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Both good points, but having the remote chance of getting a pure goal scorer and potential future star far outweighs the risks...at least to me.

I'd 10000000x prefer trading Edler for a proven forward (like E. Kane). I seriously don't understand why you think we'd need to pay the same price/more for an unproven/struggling 20 year old former 1st overall pick when we could get a young proven forward signed to a good contract already.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
[*]Why does Kassian miss hitting guys on purpose? He lined up someone, then intentionally missed the hit. It was identical to the Gagner hit except he kept his stick down this time. That being said, I counted 5 turnover he created from hard work on the forecheck. If he can consistantly do that and be a bit smarter with the puck coming out of his own end, he'll have all the tools to succeed in my opinion.
[/LIST]

Kassian isn't a natural banger or crasher like, say, Backes or Brown. He will hit but he'll only really try to hit if he's mad. And when he's mad he then goes overboard and just destroys a guy...at least in junior.

With that in mind I think when we watch Kassian go in on the forecheck and the hit is available we expect that hit. Kassian on the other hand seems to be going in to gain body position and contest for the puck and that may or may not include a hit. Hits are great and all but most of the time if you are looking to put real pressure on the puck carrier or create a turnover there are better plays. For a skilled guy like he is I think he's looking for those other plays.

Weise hits. Sestito hits. But they very rarely come away with the puck. They are looking to maybe bruise some guys nad have guys hurry plays as the game goes on and they don't want to be hit anymore. Kassian as you point out came away with the puck or caused a turnover a number of times by playing it slightly different....not saying he's Sedin like but it is how the Sedins play the forecheck. Gain position rather than hit when they are fully capable of hitting. Looking to turn the puck over then and there and not sometime later in the game because someone is a bit bruised and bails.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'd 10000000x prefer trading Edler for a proven forward (like E. Kane). I seriously don't understand why you think we'd need to pay the same price/more for an unproven/struggling 20 year old former 1st overall pick when we could get a young proven forward signed to a good contract already.

I like E. Kane, yet I believe Yak has a bigger upside. Simple as that. I guess I'm a gambling man because I would take a shot at 'superstar' as opposed to 'great' a million times over.

Edit: I never even brought up the bolded....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad