Post-Game Talk: Game #21: Sharks 2, Canucks 1 in OT - At least we don't play tham again this season

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think I prefer it when the team wins. Call me crazy but I don't like losing. I wasn't that impressed with the game last night. Thought it was actually quite boring.

Hopefully next game is a little better and the PP can figure out whatever it is they need to figure out.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think I prefer it when the team wins. Call me crazy but I don't like losing. I wasn't that impressed with the game last night. Thought it was actually quite boring.

Hopefully next game is a little better and the PP can figure out whatever it is they need to figure out.

Our only goal was on the PP...

If you like when the team wins, it wont always be exciting either.

I thought it was a good game, and was really happy with our play away from the puck but I was more concerned about us getting 2 points then getting a dynamic/exciting finish (which sharks fans felt we got), they were loving that ending.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Our only goal was on the PP...

If you like when the team wins, it wont always be exciting either.

I thought it was a good game, but I was more concerned about us getting 2 points then getting a dynamic finish which sharks fans felt was very exciting.

Opinions vary. I thought the game was dull.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
underscoring the same glaring needs we've known all along.
they play well but they simply do not have enough scoring.
sharks get outplayed all night, but their O weapons find a way to get it done (with help from the ref and a lucky bounce.)

when you look at these 2 teams side by side, focusing on the scorers --

Sedins > Thornton/Marleau (but not by much)
Kesler > Burns (but not by much)
Burrows<<Pavelski
Santo<<Couture
Higgins<Havlat (in terms of scoring, anyway)
Kassian<<Hertl

any of our scoring Dmen<<Boyle

we simply do not have the weapons to match up to a team like this, even though you can make the case that we have better depth and goaltending.

what to do though? dont want another Derek Roy type move ...but that Versteeg move doesnt seem bad ... but that's Tallon doing his ol buddies a favor i guess

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Has anyone else seen Henrik hit so much?

I think I even saw Daniel take a pound or two of flesh, but I've never seen Henrik initiate the physical play like he was tonight. He was handing out beatings along the boards instead of taking them. I think this has been a bit of a trend this season but tonight was another level and I'm excited at the possibility of it continuing.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don't understand why people keep referencing 2011; that was 3 years ago and a different team.

Bottom line for this team: dropped more points to a division rival.

I know it's still "early" but this trend is not good.

It will be interesting what Gillis does going forward. Either just let it ride this season or try and make some trades to shore up the obvious lack of secondary scoring.

Either way, I had limited expectations this year.

However, if they do end up missing the playoffs, I'd like to just Philly/NJ style tank and get a Top 5 pick.

arsmaster*

underscoring the same glaring needs we've known all along.
they play well but they simply do not have enough scoring.
sharks get outplayed all night, but their O weapons find a way to get it done (with help from the ref and a lucky bounce.)

when you look at these 2 teams side by side, focusing on the scorers --

Sedins > Thornton/Marleau (but not by much)
Kesler > Burns (but not by much)
Burrows<<Pavelski
Santo<<Couture
Higgins<Havlat (in terms of scoring, anyway)
Kassian<<Hertl

any of our scoring Dmen<<Boyle

we simply do not have the weapons to match up to a team like this, even though you can make the case that we have better depth and goaltending.

what to do though? dont want another Derek Roy type move ...but that Versteeg move doesnt seem bad ... but that's Tallon doing his ol buddies a favor i guess

I think you can. I thought we dominated the game last night. San Jose were very fortunate to get the bounce they did on the game tying goal.

Chalk it up to a bad bounce, if they play the good teams like that all season, we'll be just fine.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
I think you can. I thought we dominated the game last night. San Jose were very fortunate to get the bounce they did on the game tying goal.

Chalk it up to a bad bounce, if they play the good teams like that all season, we'll be just fine.

Kind of the way I feel too.

But you have to get more than 1 goal if you want to win a game.

So glad we don't play these guys again. Between flukey goals and biased reffing I have had enough of these games.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site

how many A grade chances did we get where Higgins (or someone else) fumbled and blew it ...where a scorer would've put the game away for us.

we need Gillis to pull off a steal of a trade, and that's pretty much all there is to it

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Canucks played well. No complaints about the effort/tactics last night.

The team just needs more scorers. They're a bottom half offense again this year, and that's not going to change until the team adds a legitimate scoring threat.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Well the important thing is Lu's save percentage went up, because I learned on hf that that's what matters.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah lol, who needs a goalie with a good sv%? Hilarious.

Absolutely agree with you. All that matters is that one number. Doesn't matter at all how he actually played, or the reason why some goals went in. Just that one number. I mean, Hamhuis scoring in his own net, Tanev deflecting shots in his own net, defensive lapses due to learning a new system: nope don't matter. Just the one number.

#Context

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
how many A grade chances did we get where Higgins (or someone else) fumbled and blew it ...where a scorer would've put the game away for us.

we need Gillis to pull off a steal of a trade, and that's pretty much all there is to it

Yep.

But easier said than done.

You have to give to get and with the cap and trying to match up term and numbers, trades are not as easy as they used to be.

Going to have to have some magic.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Both teams got a bit of a break on their regulation time goals. Given how much we outshot the Sharks we probably deserved to get another lucky break and win the game but we didn't. Sadly, that's kind of where the Canucks are at lately. They've always generated a lot of chances but seemingly needed more luck than most teams to get the puck across the goal line.

I agree that we need some more offensive punch up front. I would be more inclined to add a player that can create plays than a one dimensional shooter though. Another player that manages the puck really well could make some of our grinders into better scorers. The one dimensional shooter would really just be a winning scenario if he and Sedins really meshed on the PP. I would be more inclined to bring in someone that can run the 2nd PP unit and make our 2nd line more crafty with the puck.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Sharks were thoroughly outplayed for the majority of the game, I bet they lose to the Oilers tonight and this lost point won't be a big deal in the end. There is bound to be a few games the Canucks win that they won't deserve either.

They look like a different team without Burns in the lineup.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sharks were thoroughly outplayed for the majority of the game, I bet they lose to the Oilers tonight and this lost point won't be a big deal in the end. There is bound to be a few games the Canucks win that they won't deserve either.

They look like a different team without Burns in the lineup.

Yet some people wanted us to become the San Jose Sharks for some odd reason (not saying you or I, just to be clear).

As of right now the Canucks are not in a playoff spot.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think the Canucks have played the Sharks harder than any other team, thoroughly outplaying them in the last two match-ups. I'm not concerned at all with Torts' system or the effort level of the Canucks.

They need to shore up the power play and add more scoring balance to the line-up, though. This is a team of exceptionally hard workers. There are three lines with room for a one-shot scorer to clean up after all that hard work. It's just a matter of acquiring the right one...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think the Canucks have played the Sharks harder than any other team, thoroughly outplaying them in the last two match-ups. I'm not concerned at all with Torts' system or the effort level of the Canucks.

They need to shore up the power play and add more scoring balance to the line-up, though. This is a team of exceptionally hard workers. There are three lines with room for a one-shot scorer to clean up after all that hard work. It's just a matter of acquiring the right one...

I can agree with this, though I think it'll take more than one scorer to get the job done. This team does work incredibly hard, but you can't fenwick your way to a Cup. You can point out Fenwick and Corsi stats until the cows come home, but if your players aren't good at actually putting that black puck across that red goal line in between those two pipes, none of it matters and nobody really cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad