Post-Game Talk: Game #21: Sharks 2, Canucks 1 in OT - At least we don't play tham again this season

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I'd 10000000x prefer trading Edler for a proven forward (like E. Kane). I seriously don't understand why you think we'd need to pay the same price/more for an unproven/struggling 20 year old former 1st overall pick when we could get a young proven forward signed to a good contract already.

I would do that as well.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Back in Kitimat now, finally have the chance to comment on the game.

Canucks were the better team for pretty much the whole night. They were unlucky not to score several times, and on several other occasions, Niemi - though I loathe him - made some excellent saves.

I think Bieksa had a terrific game, but he made an extremely foolish decision in fighting a scrub like Desjardins with 5 minutes to go in a 1-goal game. Could have used him out there defending against the Sharks when they tied it up.

The officiating was pretty wonky on the whole, but the weirdest call to me was not giving Pavelski (and Richardson) 5 minutes for fighting when they dropped the gloves. Pavelski shucked his first and started swinging before Richardson even knew what was up, then his gloves came off. Both guys were swinging. It certainly felt like they were trying to put one of SJ's skill players back on the ice in a tight game's dying minutes.

Also wasn't a fan of Henrik's hooking call, especially in light of Joe Thornton high-sticking Henrik with no call, and tripping Kesler in his own end resulting in a scoring chance, also with no call.

But, no use crying over spilt milk...

Thought Luongo was excellent. Really don't see how he had a chance on either goal. The tying goal was a fluke play - Luongo reacted to the shot, and it happened to deflect through a sea of shinpads right onto Hertl's stick. Saying he should have had that one is really reaching for things to criticise, IMO.

And the game winner was labelled. There were no softies in this one, Luongo was great.

Thought the top-six forwards and the entire defensive unit had a very strong game, too. The only real issue for me was the play of our bottom-six. Straight up, David Booth looked like his skates were encased in cement. There were two separate occasions where he could have had a breakaway, and 1.5 years ago, he probably would have. But he was easily overtaken by Sharks defenders who started the play both A) Behind him, and B) Standing still. Not pretty.

One other guy I'd like to highlight in a positive light was Edler. He was physical, he was joining the rush, he was effective defensively, one of his better games this year, IMO.

Can't wait to get Hansen (and yes, even Weise) back. We need a fourth line that Tortorella can trust.

Off the ice, seeing Gordie Howe in the building - and the subsequent standing ovation he received - was a real treat. Incredible atmosphere in the building when that happened.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The officials had a bad night. The calls and non-calls were perplexing. There were several off-sides that were seemed to be called wrong. Interference calls (against both teams) when the puck was right there. But the hooking call on Henrik in OT was pathetic.

Still, with the way the Canucks dominated the possession, shots and chances, this should have been out of reach.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That OT goal was absolutely a bad goal. MS was spot on when he said it was terrible. It really is interesting how different Individuals can view the same event with opposite takes.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Each year, that anvil on Luongo's chest appears to get heavier. He can't move laterally without falling forward. It's tough to watch, kind of like a tree being chopped down and slowly collapsing to the ground.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
In 2011 the Canucks were the best offensive team in the league. They scored the most goals. The PP was 24.3%, the best in the league.

This year the Nucks are 18th in goals per game. The PP is 10.9% 27th in the league.

This team isn't close to the 2011 team offensively.

The current team they have is not good enough offensively. The players they had in 2011 have either maintained the level of play offensively or they have got worse.

Gillis could make a few trades and add a few scorers and then they would probably be okay.

The problem I have with 2010-2011 offensive reference as well, is the west was not nearly as powerful or defensively sound as they are now.

2012 seen the emergence of powerhouse big defensive western teams who defend extremely well, pheonix, la, st. louis. The top teams in our heyday were skilled goal scoring teams (hawks, red wings, san jose) and we played run and gun games against them and won, that style would be much more difficult against those la, and st. louis teams of today. The west as a whole is just alot better right now. Consider the 2011 ducks, 2011 kings, 2011 sharks, 2011 minny, and then look at those teams today, the west has improved alot.

In 2011 we were a great team but I question how often those fancy goals would have occurred regularly if we played these teams in 2011 and how many goals we would rack up on those teams.

LolClarkson*

Holy hell no!

4pts and -15 in 18 games = top pairing d-man + NHL ready good prospect?
:biglaugh:

Yakapov got 17 goals in his first 48 games. Stamkos got 9.

He is on the worst team known to the galaxy. Watch him play. He is going to be one hell of a player.

LolClarkson*

I'm all for buying low on players, but giving up Edler+ is just way too much. Yakupov has been struggling defensively, yet he says he thinks his defensive play is "fine". Torts would eat him alive.

And of course there is always the risk of him getting extremely frustrated and bolting overseas.

Remember all the questions about how Kelser and casual Kev were going to do under Torts and who would be in the dog house ? These guys are doing fine.

The whole team in Edm is playing horrible D

Hal 9000*

Last night was a disaster…obviously!

Most of the team played pretty well, but it's evident that we need help with scoring, if not a legit forward, then a top tier defenseman that get the puck up the ice. Luongo played well enough to earn the shutout, but instead had to take a 2 g/a OTL - pathetic. This team shoulda buried SJ last night.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The problem I have with 2010-2011 offensive reference as well, is the west was not nearly as powerful or defensively sound as they are now.

2012 seen the emergence of powerhouse big defensive western teams who defend extremely well, pheonix, la, st. louis. The top teams in our heyday were skilled goal scoring teams (hawks, red wings, san jose) and we played run and gun games against them and won, that style would be much more difficult against those la, and st. louis teams of today. The west as a whole is just alot better right now. Consider the 2011 ducks, 2011 kings, 2011 sharks, 2011 minny, and then look at those teams today, the west has improved alot.

In 2011 we were a great team but I question how often those fancy goals would have occurred regularly if we played these teams in 2011 and how many goals we would rack up on those teams.

That's a fair point, but this year we're seeing a lot more of the Eastern teams in this new format so things should even themselves out a bit, no? The loss of Ehrhoff, the PP almost doing a 180, and the lack of a true second line is the difference.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
That's a fair point, but this year we're seeing a lot more of the Eastern teams in this new format so things should even themselves out a bit, no? The loss of Ehrhoff, the PP almost doing a 180, and the lack of a true second line is the difference.

Well the east will help, but we still play in the west and the west was easier to score on in 2011.

I know people want more offense like the 2011 team, but to me if you look at the context, would that 2011 nucks team run over teams like the blues, kings, even minnys of today like we did in 2011? I dont really think so. The entire style of play was way more loose and open to offense and parity was less.

Speaking of the east we have not had many issues scoring on the east either this season.

We also had a lack of 2nd line in 2011 imo. It was basically kesler. And again match that raymond kesler higgins/sammy line against a team like the kings or blues of today, does it look as good as it did in 2011?

I also dont think erhoff is the key to the PP like some, as i mentioned before the first half of 2011-2012 season our PP was operating at an absurd percentage without erhoff, we were 1st in the league. Then after the new year and we played boston it died for some unknown reason.

Not to say i am against upgrades, I am for upgrades, I just think people look at our 2011 team and put it on to much of a pedestal and look to recreate a team the existed in a different time, without recognizing how the west has changed and evolved around us as well, especially with respect to more emphasis on big defensive low scoring teams.

Last edited:

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Each year, that anvil on Luongo's chest appears to get heavier. He can't move laterally without falling forward. It's tough to watch, kind of like a tree being chopped down and slowly collapsing to the ground.

Maybe he needs to wear one or two of those lead x-ray bibs on his back to keep him upright.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
That OT goal was absolutely a bad goal. MS was spot on when he said it was terrible. It really is interesting how different Individuals can view the same event with opposite takes.

That's because rather than evaluating the goal rationally, all they can do is spout inanities like "don't blame him for the losee!" As if objectively analyzing one play means you're "blaming" everything on him. The goaltender analysis in this thread was fantastic, and a much appreciated read by me. thanks especially to that guy for his unique perspective.

I wish using the word "blame" was a banable offense. It is a meaningless word.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, it's fascinating.

To me, that was a puck shot right into the middle of the net, when the goalie had plenty of time to get to the middle of the net. Terrible lateral movement and a forward flop. Was like shooting the puck into the ocean from the end of a pier for Boyle.

And again, I thought Luongo was terrific until that point and one of the reasons we got a point out of the game. But that was just ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad