GDT: Game 21 - Columbus @ Nashville 2/27, 3 PM ET, "Boys has to wake up"

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I know everyone is saying “blow it up” and it’s easy to understand. But I guess I’d like to first see how this team/these players (which maybe a trade or two) would fare u dear a different coach. That’s not a call to fire Torts, but I think he’ll be gone. Jarmo made two major trades and of the three players acquired, two - Laine and especially Domi - have seemingly not seen max performance under Torts.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Probably not. In this regard.

If you don’t see that the players are continously executing the exact same maneuvers there (no matter who are on the PP unit, MEANING IT’S THE SYSTEM) then I don’t know if there’s any room for discussion.
You must have missed how often Atkinson, Jones, Werenski and others being unable to carry the puck in successfully. It’s not like Torts forced them to play dump and chase, it’s just the amount of success was even less

Jyri

Nov 24, 2017
CBJ themes: dump and dont chase. When shoot, shoot high and wide. Something has to change with this team.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
When we fire Torts, we all have to come to the reality that it’s going to be a long time before we’re “good” again. The new coach will have to deal with the roster full of grinders and plodding players.

Reactions: BullLund

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
What’s it going to do? He’s gone next year most likely anyway.
Give the players a shift in perspective?

Show Laine things will be changing?

Possibly start getting things going in right direction sooner rather than later?

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This sucks, but I believe all there is for this season is to play out the string. Torts should probably be fired but I don’t think he will be and in this weird, shortened season, I probably wouldn’t.

The question that begs answering is what ails the team. If it’s not something that could be harmful to a player’s long-term development and success, all the young players should be played. If whatever is the problem is bad, they should be as far away from it as possible.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The thing is he’s made the post season for the last five years and deserves to leave gracefully, in my opinion. They can still rebound with Torts this year
He can still have a graceful exit by admitting this team just does not respond to him anymore --- and that someone else deserves a shot at righting the ship.

He'll always have a legacy here for what he was able to build.

But the time has come for change.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Maybe some players will stay once he's gone.
Who is supposed to leave next year because of Torts? I don’t think we’re losing anyone and Torts is likely gone next year.

The Armageddon is happening in 2 years, that will be something interesting for sure

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
When we fire Torts, we all have to come to the reality that it’s going to be a long time before we’re “good” again. The new coach will have to deal with the roster full of grinders and plodding players.
Interesting stuff in your post....Torts did well here and it’s true his departure could lead to a downturn. We do have grinders and that fits well for Torts. But the young players that Jarmo has been assembling - Bemstrom, Tex, Foudy, the Russians - as well as Ros, Laine, Domi and Bjork are NOT grinders. So that’s where it’ll get interesting.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Who is supposed to leave next year because of Torts? I don’t think we’re losing anyone and Torts is likely gone next year.

The Armageddon is happening in 2 years, that will be something interesting for sure
So Torts takes no blame but Jarmo and the players do? Torts is the middle man who takes no blame? Got it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Like I said he’s done what no other coach in Jackets history has, he deserves some respect. This season is not entirely lost either.
Firing Torts isn't about respect.

It is about lack of results this season, and the health of the club going forward... there is nothing personal about that standard.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad