Post-Game Talk: GAME 20 Had Them All The Way - BRUINS 2 Arizona 1 FINAL

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I haven't seen some of the other goals called back this season for the offisdes, but I wasn't too upset with it last night. I think someone else said it too, if that happened to the B's I would have been screaming for no goal (right or wrong).

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
With him citing Marchand mocking Scissons, which Marchand was well justified in doing. Easy to talk out of both sides of the mouth, Burke.

I love what Marchand does when he isn't getting suspended. It's on the NHL to have the integrity to tell its officials to do their jobs in a truly unbiased manner.

Brian Burke has made a living being an arrogant ass in public. Somewhat laughable he is commentating on anyone else’s antics, considering he is not even relevant without his own antics through the mass media.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I remember as a kid seeing Bill Friday hit the ice pregame in the old garden and 13,909? Would boo for 5 minutes as he went around until teams hit the ice

Ben Drieth likely cost the Patriots the 1976 Super Bowl

NBA refs ???

Al, it’s been like this for 50 years

Bill Friday relished the disdain. That's why he was the road teams favorite. He may as well have been a Big Time Wrestling villain. He jumped to the WHA so he could piss off a whole new bunch of fans.

Always thought the 1976 Super Bowl was legitimately fixed.

Did any team ever get a break in the old garden against the dynasty Celtics?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Marchand will never get the benefit of the doubt.

He is a marked man. He has to focus on what he can control and Bad officiating is out of his control.

How long does Marchand have to be a marked man by the officiating crews?

It seems like he's damned if he does or damned if he don't.

What kind of bull**** is these league trying to do to one of the best players in the game.

Is it really asking too much for the officials to just call a fair and unbiased game?

When will they realize that by constantly putting Marchand under the microscope every game and targeting him for every little infraction (warranted or not) also effects his team mates, coaches and fans.

It's long overdue for these officials to stop all the nonsense with Marchand and just start calling the games like they are meant to be called...(in a fair and unbiased manner), and maybe, just maybe Marchand's antics will be fewer and far between. It's a win win solution for both sides.

I don't think that's asking too much.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
True....which makes me very disappointed in management for not doing enough to stand up for him.

How do you know they’re not?

I work in public schools and the amount of corprotacracy and placating is absurd, I doubt it’s any different or better in the nhl where they can get away with even more. The nhl can basically do whatever it wants to brad and one team’s management complaining can’t do squat, brad made his bed with the dirty hits and the clown shows on national tv. The majority of owners and gm’s Are gonna laugh when the bruins ask to stop targeting him.

So yes, he needs to just focus on playing his game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I work in public schools and the amount of corprotacracy and placating is absurd, I doubt it’s any different or better in the nhl where they can get away with even more. The nhl can basically do whatever it wants to brad and one team’s management complaining can’t do squat, brad made his bed with the dirty hits and the clown shows on national tv. The majority of owners and gm’s Are gonna laugh when the bruins ask to stop targeting him.

You're right that we don't know what, if anything has been done behind the scenes.

I can only say what I'd do, if I were the Bruins.

If they have already gone to the league about the BS that they let the refs and DOPS get away with against Marchand, I'd turn up the heat.

I'd post videos of the crappy calls and non-calls when Marchand is infracted upon for everyone to see with comments asking for explanations.

Maybe initially, that could make things worse but the more light that is shed on it, the better chance someone makes a big enough deal about it and maybe things will change.

Either way, the status quo isn't good enough.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

What kind of bull**** is these league trying to do to one of the best players in the game.

Is it really asking too much for the officials to just call a fair and unbiased game?

When will they realize that by constantly putting Marchand under the microscope every game and targeting him for every little infraction (warranted or not) also effects his team mates, coaches and fans.

It's long overdue for these officials to stop all the nonsense with Marchand and just start calling the games like they are meant to be called...(in a fair and unbiased manner), and maybe, just maybe Marchand's antics will be fewer and far between. It's a win win solution for both sides.

Great Post.

If Brad REALLY does something then call him but these phantom calls are out of control.

Brad gets slashed , speared and abused every game with NO CALL. It's time for the B's management to stand up for one of the star players.

I get so pissed off when I am at the games. You see much more of the abuse at the games.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
True....which makes me very disappointed in management for not doing enough to stand up for him.

I really don't think that would make a difference. His reputation precedes him, so it will make no difference.

The only thing he can do is bury his head down and just keep playing hockey. Nothing else will change if he does not do that 1st and foremost.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

No, but that is not reality.

The fact of the matter is the game is unfair and biased when it comes to Marchand. The only way to change it is to prove it on the ice. Because ultimately it is what Marchand does that will define him.

Needless to say, he has done a lot to warrant the bias. He has to bury his head down and just keep playing hockey. Nothing else will change if he does not do that 1st and foremost.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Love it or hate it, he is definitely reaping what he has sown over the years.
On the other hand, these refs are supposed to be the best in the business, yet they continually exact a vendetta against players like Marchand with what they call and what they allow to happen to him without a call. Aren't they just supposed to call the game?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Miller is a #5/6 guy and was just okay before he got hurt but very replaceable. Lauzon has played better then him so far. They want puck movers and Miller is not it, slightly better then Kampfer. I would play the kid Lauzon over both. Kid will not learn anymore in the AHL, he is ready.
I'm not saying Miller is a top pairing guy, but to say Kampfer is on "slightly" beeter than him is underselling Miller by a very wide margin. i also think it would be fair to watch Miller and Lauzon play on the same ice, against the same teams before coronating Lauzon as the better player. But if they want puck movers, as you say, Lauzon has that aspect over Miller.

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

So basically, are you saying you're OK with the bias officials are showing towards him? I know he's brought some of this on himself, but are you OK with him being literally unable to draw a penalty, no matter what get done to him? Shouldn't these refs just call what they see, regardless of who it happens to? Aren't they supposed to be professionals?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
On the other hand, these refs are supposed to be the best in the business, yet they continually exact a vendetta against players like Marchand with what they call and what they allow to happen to him without a call. Aren't they just supposed to call the game?

No, sadly they are not. Rumor has it there are internal memos that go around for stuff to focus on and to watch certain players.
They are sheriffs that not only ref a game, but they are also tasked for ref'ing the game of Hockey in its entirety.

Want a good example of this?
Face-offs last season and stick contact on the gloves this season.
More subtle stuff is like cutting fighting down, IE: the Nurse-Bennett fight. The linesmen jump in a whole lot quicker than they used to 10 years ago.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So basically, are you saying you're OK with the bias officials are showing towards him? I know he's brought some of this on himself, but are you OK with him being literally unable to draw a penalty, no matter what get done to him? Shouldn't these refs just call what they see, regardless of who it happens to? Aren't they supposed to be professionals?

Yes they're professionals. So is he. Neither are conducting themselves as such.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Absolutely, it’s a screwed up system that relies on the court of public opinion, who you know, who likes you, who you made look foolish, what you do for them etc etc

Just like schools, the NFL, and every other broken system in the land that doesn’t allow 100% transparent civil oversight

So no I’m not cool with how Marchand is treated, but if he didn’t know what was coming when he first started to f*** around that’s on him. Honestly though most of these guys have decades of learned behavior from 6 months old onward and many are the way they are. He’ll clean his game up a bit but at the end of the day Marchand’s gonna Marchand

Also he does draw penalties, we just focus on the ones that were missed, most of the time he just cuts through and around people so it’s rare when he draws legitimate ones like hooking from offensive rushes

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Absolutely, it’s a screwed up system that relies on the court of public opinion, who you know, who likes you, who you made look foolish, what you do for them etc etc

Just like schools, the NFL, and every other broken system in the land that doesn’t allow 100% transparent civil oversight

So no I’m not cool with how Marchand is treated, but if he didn’t know what was coming when he first started to **** around that’s on him. Honestly though most of these guys have decades of learned behavior from 6 months old onward and many are the way they are. He’ll clean his game up a bit but at the end of the day Marchand’s gonna Marchand

Also he does draw penalties, we just focus on the ones that were missed, most of the time he just cuts through and around people so it’s rare when he draws legitimate ones like hooking from offensive rushes
Erik, I didn't think it was true, but you are right. Marchand this season is actually second in penalties drawn, tied with McJesus at 11 (Source here). I'm actually shocked at that stat, given how often he is absolutely mugged with no call. Of course he leads the league in being penalized, both in minutes (thanks to 3 misconducts) and # of penalties (18).

All that notwithstanding, I stand by my assertion that NHL refs are supposed to be professionsal, and instead, they are actively looking to call penalties on Marchand, or at least call him for things they wouldn't call on other players. (Can you even fathom Sidney Crosby getting called for that "slash" on Bishop the other night? We all know that would never happen.) I also believe my position is backed up by a linesman going out of his way to report to a referee that Marchand was waving a towel in the penalty box. They're looking to punish him in a way that brings to mind only one word: vendetta.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Who would you prefer over him ?

Supposedly we’re getting back 1-3 defenseman this Wednesday...so, any defenseman who has worn a Bruin jersey this season.

And moving forward, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril, etc...they can now move Kampfer out of town if they want. The kids have enough experience to step in, in a pinch. Do him a solid.

Honestly I have a lot of sympathy for the difficulty of getting calls on ice right. The game is fast and the “right” position to make a call can move 40 feet in a second. All while most of the players are trying to fool you. They are gonna screw up. It’s the inconsistency from the league after the game that drives me bonkers. Especially with embellishment. I don’t want to watch soccer.

The whole, “they just screw up” idea doesn’t fly with me and it shouldn’t fly with anyone who watches a lot of Bruins hockey. No matter what the year or make up of the team, the vast majority of standard and egregious calls go against Boston. The stats would bear it out, someone should put that together at the Globe or Herald.

There’s definitely a bias, agenda, lots of things...it’s not systemic...it’s a self perpetuating culture.

Take a look at home ice advantage that we all see as the Bruins travel around the league...no such feel at TD.

The straight “oh well, it’s hard to do” argument is tougher and tougher to make every year.

Just wait for the yearly Canada road trip at the end of the season...the Bruins get hosed unmerciful in every game. It’s yearly.

I wonder why?

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Well we have certainly had our bad calls/ see Kuraly in playoffs etc but we have had the odd break. Letting Debrusk clear out the goalie and D.K throw it in an empty net against the flyers for a very important goal seemed awful generous .

I also understand you said this goal shouldn't count but if the roles were reversed we would be crying rightfully so for years if they let a goal like this stand against us . To me this was a very obvious no goal .

You found one! Nice. They’re like leprechauns. Ask it for a wish.

...beep...beep...beep...

*backs up garbage truck full of flat out horrible call on the Bruins*

Reactions: Dr Hook

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Supposedly we’re getting back 1-3 defenseman this Wednesday...so, any defenseman who has worn a Bruin jersey this season.

And moving forward, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril, etc...they can now move Kampfer out of town if they want. The kids have enough experience to step in, in a pinch. Do him a solid.

The whole, “they just screw up” idea doesn’t fly with me and it shouldn’t fly with anyone who watches a lot of Bruins hockey. No matter what the year or make up of the team, the vast majority of standard and egregious calls go against Boston. The stats would bear it out, someone should put that together at the Globe or Herald.

There’s definitely a bias, agenda, lots of things...it’s not systemic...it’s a self perpetuating culture.

Take a look at home ice advantage that we all see as the Bruins travel around the league...no such feel at TD.

The straight “oh well, it’s hard to do” argument is tougher and tougher to make every year.

Just wait for the yearly Canada road trip at the end of the season...the Bruins get hosed unmerciful in every game. It’s yearly.

I wonder why?

I go game by game series by series. I had a huge problem with the refs in dallas but Arizona was fine and the no goal was a no brainer.

You talk about Canada I had zero problem with the bruin-leaf series last yr . In fact I think we had a leaf goal disallowed by replay that was a hell of a lot closer than the Arizona one . Tbay we obviously had a couple horrid calls ex Charlie but the better team won the series. I had huge huge problems with the Ottawa -bruin series ==terrible- that one word describes two to three games in that series . Final against VAN---no problem, they let us get away with quite a bit .

I think we get a bit of the wrong end of the stick because our team has been taught to play the right way and not dive or go down easy . I agree with that style but I think it hurts us penalty wise . Any theory that the nhl or Canada is against us I am just not buying .

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Erik, I didn't think it was true, but you are right. Marchand this season is actually second in penalties drawn, tied with McJesus at 11 (Source here). I'm actually shocked at that stat, given how often he is absolutely mugged with no call. Of course he leads the league in being penalized, both in minutes (thanks to 3 misconducts) and # of penalties (18).

All that notwithstanding, I stand by my assertion that NHL refs are supposed to be professionsal, and instead, they are actively looking to call penalties on Marchand, or at least call him for things they wouldn't call on other players. (Can you even fathom Sidney Crosby getting called for that "slash" on Bishop the other night? We all know that would never happen.) I also believe my position is backed up by a linesman going out of his way to report to a referee that Marchand was waving a towel in the penalty box. They're looking to punish him in a way that brings to mind only one word: vendetta.

Right.

I cannot fathom Sidney Crosby jabbing Bishop in the back of the leg like that the other night. We all know it wouldn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad