Post-Game Talk: GAME #20 - Canucks 5 vs. Kings 2 - March 2, 2013

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sometimes I really don't understand the level enjoyment you guys get out of games. I thought that was one of the most exciting games of the season (at least from our end), and I thought some of the other high-chance games people praise as exciting were boring. I love when games are tight, there's a high attention to detail, everyone fights their *** off for every inch, the play is organized/playing the system to perfection, and there's a great display of skill and intensity.

We haven't played an exciting game all year as far as I'm concerned. Watch some Hawks and Senators games and you'll see exciting hockey.

To your qualification of what's exciting, I don't disagree with it but I don't agree that such a level of precision and 'perfect system' was on display last night. It was a better game than many others we've played over the past year but it was still merely average by the standards established in 10-11.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lol. Dude it's March 3rd. A lot can change.

And 'hockey like this" means what, beating teams 5-2?

Some people are never happy.....

I thought this was a better game, but nothing has changed for a year. We've later terrible, boring, uninspired hockey for a year now. You guys need to understand that the score doesn't always paint the whole picture of our play. Like I said, I think we played a better game, but we were lucky LA didn't show up.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We haven't played an exciting game all year as far as I'm concerned. Watch some Hawks and Senators games and you'll see exciting hockey.

To your qualification of what's exciting, I don't disagree with it but I don't agree that such a level of precision and 'perfect system' was on display last night. It was a better game than many others we've played over the past year but it was still merely average by the standards established in 10-11.
Hawks games I agree with. Sens are so ****in boring.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hawks games I agree with. Sens are so ****in boring.

They've gotten more boring recently but even after those injuries they were playing exciting hockey for a while. Still, their execution of the system and commitment to working hard is far ahead of the Canucks this season. I thought their game against the Flyers yesterday was fun and really forced the goalies to come up big on both ends.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I thought this was a better game, but nothing has changed for a year. We've later terrible, boring, uninspired hockey for a year now. You guys need to understand that the score doesn't always paint the whole picture of our play. Like I said, I think we played a better game, but we were lucky LA didn't show up.

And you need to understand that the score is the only thing that matters.

Sure you can nitpick the odd thing here and there, but the level of complaining on this board has reached Pejorative Slured proportions, and I honestly don't see why many of you even bother cheering for this team anymore, or even watching hockey in general.

Not enough scoring for you? Watch basketball. They score every 30 seconds.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Sure you can nitpick the odd thing here and there, but the level of complaining on this board has reached Pejorative Slured proportions, and I honestly don't see why many of you even bother cheering for this team anymore, or even watching hockey in general.

Great retort when that's not the thing everyone is complaining about.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Not in the last 30 sec... That takes 15 min

Also to me, winning is an enjoyable experience

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

LA showed up. They just showed up to play a Canuck team that was skating well and playing with purpose.

The Canucks outchanced a team that never held a lead. Nobody seems to be taking into account the fact trailing teams often outchance their opponents. Didn't happen last night and that's what is so encouraging.

The Canucks simply aren't going to be a dominant two-way team with Kesler hurt or out of the lineup.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Great retort when that's not the thing everyone is complaining about.

There were 7 goals scored, a fight, and we beat the defending Stanley Cup champions who knocked us out of the playoffs last year.

I'm sorry man, but if you're seriously not entertained by that, I think you might be following the wrong team/sport.

Steve Bennett*

PG Canucks' point was correct that LA didn't show up. And as well he/she was right to note that the score does not paint the whole picture. The score is not the only thing that matters in a mid season regular season game - if Daniel Sedin and Edler skate full force head on into eachother with 10 seconds to go ending both their careers then yeah I guess the score would have been the only thing that mattered. We take the positives and learn from the negatives and deal with the consequences...

That being said the Canucks did play a good game but why not criticize? It's a hockey online forum for us to discuss the Canucks and their games? I thought Kassian looked like garbage out there last night.... so should I quit watching hockey and cheer for the Grizzlies and Big Hungry Reeves??

01f_913.jpg

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
There were 7 goals scored, a fight, and we beat the defending Stanley Cup champions who knocked us out of the playoffs last year.

I'm sorry man, but if you're seriously not entertained by that, I think you might be following the wrong team/sport.

I think the team is underachieving on its potential and is playing the type of hockey they're not suited for. You're welcome to disagree but please don't tell me I'm watching the wrong sport or the wrong team. A lot of people were convinced that the only thing that mattered the last 5 months of last season was that we were winning and how exactly did that go?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

No it's not. How the Canucks play that game is more telling then the score most of the time. It's not the only thing that matters. Lets say the Canucks get dominated for 55 minutes but win 1-0, did they play a good game because in the end they won? No.

I'm not nitpicking, the way we are playing is a big problem. I'm not talking about this game, but the past year since the Boston game. If you think we can win a Cup playing like that, you need to crank down the optimism.

Where did I say there wasnt enough scoring? That's not what I'm getting at, at all here.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Thought the Nucks had their most intense game so far this year. The battle level was much higher than the previous 5 games. LA didn't show up really turning the puck over lots. But you have to give credit to the Canucks and how they forced LA into bad decision making. Was it just a coincidence or did everyone play a little tougher because Sesito was in the line up? I thought he brings a real good presence on the ice. The opposing team is really going to have to keep their heads up when he's out there. Every time he cuts across the ice you know he's looking to crush someone.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
There's a reason AV and Gillis are so big on the process rather than the results. You're going to get some lucky/un-lucky bounces but by focusing on the process you can make sure that you're at your best when the important games hit and that you give yourself the best chance to win.

I watch this team and I'm not seeing them at the top of their game (or anywhere close to it), regardless of their results. I don't like the system being played and I think we've taken many steps back since the 10-11 season.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
No it's not. How the Canucks play that game is more telling then the score most of the time. It's not the only thing that matters. Lets say the Canucks get dominated for 55 minutes but win 1-0, did they play a good game because in the end they won? No.

I'm not nitpicking, the way we are playing is a big problem. I'm not talking about this game, but the past year since the Boston game. If you think we can win a Cup playing like that, you need to crank down the optimism.

Where did I say there wasnt enough scoring? That's not what I'm getting at, at all here.

Completely agree with you, last night was a step in the right direction though.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think the team is underachieving on its potential and is playing the type of hockey they're not suited for. You're welcome to disagree but please don't tell me I'm watching the wrong sport or the wrong team. A lot of people were convinced that the only thing that mattered the last 5 months of last season was that we were winning and how exactly did that go?

They faced one of the most dominant playoff teams of our generation. The Kings went 16-4.

The Canucks were without Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler wasn't healthy enough to contribute. When 2 of your top 3 forwards aren't healthy and in the lineup you're simply not going to beat a juggernaut like the Kings.

The problem is people think it's realistic to expect this team to play like the '10-11 Canucks. When was the last time ateam in the NHl maintianed that level of success for 3 seasons? Unrealistic expectations is the root of the problem here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Watched this game from a bar with some friends so it was difficult to really analyze much. Overall I thought it was a better effort than we've seen though. Here's a few thoughts I had:

1) Sestito had a pretty good impact. Some good hits and I loved that fight. Definitely picked up the team's spirits and upped the intensity out there.

2) Schneider looked a lot better than his previous games. I still think that 2nd goal was a bad gaffe on his part but credit to him for shutting the door after that.

3) Sedins and Burrows looked good again, that first goal in particular was really nice.

4) Raymond had a beauty of a goal, nice to see him bounce back.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
They faced one of the most dominant playoff teams of our generation. The Kings went 16-4.

The Canucks were without Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler wasn't healthy enough to contribute. When 2 of your top 3 forwards aren't healthy and in the lineup you're simply not going to beat a juggernaut like the Kings.

The problem is people think it's realistic to expect this team to play like the '10-11 Canucks. When was the last time ateam in the NHl maintianed that level of success for 3 seasons? Unrealistic expectations is the root of the problem here.

Going back to last year, we were not playing good hockey for probably the last 30 games of the season. We were finding ways to win but it wasn't pretty. You could tell they were going to be in tough no matter what team they faced in the playoffs.

Lundface*

There's a reason AV and Gillis are so big on the process rather than the results. You're going to get some lucky/un-lucky bounces but by focusing on the process you can make sure that you're at your best when the important games hit and that you give yourself the best chance to win.

I watch this team and I'm not seeing them at the top of their game (or anywhere close to it), regardless of their results. I don't like the system being played and I think we've taken many steps back since the 10-11 season.

I think the problem is this simply isn't the same team. We had a strong 2nd line that year in with Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson/Higgins (mainly because Kesler was an elite player) and a solid third line in Torres-Malholtra-Hansen.

Its also debatable whether the Sedins are the same as their Art Ross season. Add in an actual dynamic puck mover in Ehrhoff and a lethal power play and its easy to see why this team isn't the same.

Outside of the twins/burrows, there simply isn't much to work with on this team. I think we got spoiled watching that team play, its a real shame so many guys got injured towards the end of that run.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
My point is some of you have already convinced yourselves that the Canucks are not a good hockey team, and no matter what they do on the ice short of beating Chicago 10-0 will change that.

You can't realistically ask for a better outcome than last night, and yet here you are, pounding away on your keyboard about how terrible the Canucks are, and we were lucky to get the win.

That's your opinion and that's fine, and maybe suggesting watching basketball was taking it too far (I wouldn't wish that kind of punishment on anyone) but it's just frustrating seeing people who are so set in their opinion, that not only do they present it as fact, but they're not even swayed in the slightest by what's actually happening on the ice.

And I still stand by my OPINION that the score, in the end, is the only thing that matters. The process is important, but if you play terrible hockey yet still score more goals than the other team, you'll win the Stanley Cup.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of our sunny Sunday everyone, and hopefully we get to see a hockey game tonight if the stupid Calgary weather cooperates.

Steve Bennett*

My point is some of you have already convinced yourselves that the Canucks are not a good hockey team, and no matter what they do on the ice short of beating Chicago 10-0 will change that.

You can't realistically ask for a better outcome than last night, and yet here you are, pounding away on your keyboard about how terrible the Canucks are, and we were lucky to get the win.

That's your opinion and that's fine, and maybe suggesting watching basketball was taking it too far (I wouldn't wish that kind of punishment on anyone) but it's just frustrating seeing people who are so set in their opinion, that not only do they present it as fact, but they're not even swayed in the slightest by what's actually happening on the ice.

And I still stand by my OPINION that the score, in the end, is the only thing that matters. The process is important, but if you play terrible hockey yet still score more goals than the other team, you'll win the Stanley Cup.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of our sunny Sunday everyone, and hopefully we get to see a hockey game tonight if the stupid Calgary weather cooperates.

Thanks, maybe you're right about a few things, I concede... Secondly, sunday??? I got a few things to do...

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Going back to last year, we were not playing good hockey for probably the last 30 games of the season. We were finding ways to win but it wasn't pretty. You could tell they were going to be in tough no matter what team they faced in the playoffs.

But what teams in the West have maintained elite play for 3 plus seasons?

Chicago barely made the playoffs 2 years ago and did nothing last season.

The Blues were dominant last year and have taken a big step back this year.

The Kings barely made the playoffs last year and don't look like an elite team this season.

Detroit isn't the juggernaut they were a few years ago.

San Jose is a big disappointment.

Canuck fans are simply holding their team to impossible standards. We're just not going to replicate the '10-11 season again anytime soon. It could be 40 years before we see that level of team again and until fans realize that's the reality of the situation, they will continue looking for answers that aren't there.

We have close to $10mil tied up in net and another $10mil tied up in Booth and Kesler, 2 players which have contributed a grand total of nothing this season. You're just going to dominate game-play with close to a third of your cap providing no help in terms of creating and preventing scoring chances.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Some people just never stop complaining. We should really stop comparing this team to 2011 (you know, the best team this franchise has ever seen). They are never going to reach that kind of level again.

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley

Don't always agree with you but on this I most certainly do. The team isn't there yet and while it is all speculation when trying to reason out who is responsible or who could fix it, the one ultimately responsible is Gillis. I believe he needs to make moves but who knows what he thinks need be done.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
But what teams in the West have maintained elite play for 3 plus seasons?

Chicago barely made the playoffs 2 years ago and did nothing last season.

The Blues were dominant last year and have taken a big step back this year.

The Kings barely made the playoffs last year and don't look like an elite team this season.

Detroit isn't the juggernaut they were a few years ago.

San Jose is a big disappointment.

Canuck fans are simply holding their team to impossible standards. We're just not going to replicate the '10-11 season again anytime soon. It could be 40 years before we see that level of team again and until fans realize that's the reality of the situation, they will continue looking for answers that aren't there.

We have close to $10mil tied up in net and another $10mil tied up in Booth and Kesler, 2 players which have contributed a grand total of nothing this season. You're just going to dominate game-play with close to a third of your cap providing no help in terms of creating and preventing scoring chances.

I though last night was a real good step forward. But you have to look at how they execute there game plan. And they weren't doing a good job of it last year and haven't been doing a good job of it this year until last night. Over the last 3 seasons teams have devised games plans to defeat us. And we haven't been able to counter that by executing our game plan properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad