Post-Game Talk: GAME #20 - Canucks 5 vs. Kings 2 - March 2, 2013

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Some people just never stop complaining. We should really stop comparing this team to 2011 (you know, the best team this franchise has ever seen). They are never going to reach that kind of level again.

Exactly right. It took 40 plus years to reach that level and it could take 40 more to get there again. Expecting this team to even come close to that is unrealistic and will just leave you disappointed.

The Canucks have a top 5 record in the NHL. You know you've become spoiled when that is considered a failure...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Some people just never stop complaining. We should really stop comparing this team to 2011 (you know, the best team this franchise has ever seen). They are never going to reach that kind of level again.

You're right, we should never expect this team to be as good as the one that lost in the SCF. :sarcasm: I guess I better deal with the fact that we're never winning the Cup, right?

The Canucks have a top 5 record in the NHL. You know you've become spoiled when that is considered a failure...

How's their record outside their division? Bottom 10?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can't wait to see David Booth gone. Waste of a roster spot.
I've heard the comparables to Taylor Hall still being effective despite having hockey sense, but it'd be really reassuring if someone could give me an example of someone who's been really effective in the playoffs without having some serviceable hockey sense. (who didn't have offensive wizard-like skill)

It's not that I don't think Booth can be effective, but it's tough to imagine it working out when it counts.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I though last night was a real good step forward. But you have to look at how they execute there game plan. And they weren't doing a good job of it last year and haven't been doing a good job of it this year until last night. Over the last 3 seasons teams have devised games plans to defeat us. And we haven't been able to counter that by executing our game plan properly.

The only team that I've seen do this with any consistency or success is Chicago. They seem to get in behind our defense with ease, creating many odd man rushes.

The problem is people think we're not playing up to our potential if we're not the best team in the NHL. This isn't reality IMO. No team has been able to maintain that level of play of 3 years.

The Canucks aren't the juggernaut they were in '10-11 and aren't going to be anytime soon.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Exactly right. It took 40 plus years to reach that level and it could take 40 more to get there again. Expecting this team to even come close to that is unrealistic and will just leave you disappointed.

I don't think people are considering it a failure. But we hold the team to a high standard and we know they're capable of player better hockey than we've seen so far. I can live with them loosing off of a crappy bounce while executing there game plan. But it's trouble some seeing a team that is capable of playing way better hockey than they have so far and watching them win while not executing the game plan. Because that's what they were doing last year going into the playoffs.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
You're right, we should never expect this team to be as good as the one that lost in the SCF. :sarcasm: I guess I better deal with the fact that we're never winning the Cup, right?

With the way you're talking about the team, yeah.

We absolutely destroyed the league in 2011, lead in nearly every statistical category, won the Art Ross/Ted Lindsey/Selke/Jennings/etc. You think we can somehow repeat that? Sure, this team can play better, but continuously comparing it to 2011 is silly.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Canucks Army came out with the chance data today. Hamhuis and Garrison absolutely suffocated the Kings. Generated 5 chances, took none against.

On the other end, the Sedins skinned that top line alive and hung their hides in the rafters.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
We absolutely destroyed the league in 2011, lead in nearly every statistical category, won the Art Ross/Ted Lindsey/Selke/Jennings/etc. You think we can somehow repeat that? Sure, this team can play better, but continuously comparing it to 2011 is silly.

I think this team can play as well as that one did, that doesn't mean the same results will come.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just 7 but yeah, not a great night. Then again, he likely faced the toughest minutes as he has most of this season.

7 at even strength, and 4 against shorthanded (he and Tanev led the way in that department). Hopefully he turns things around, as our highest paid defenseman going forward he needs to be better.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
7 at even strength, and 4 against shorthanded (he and Tanev led the way in that department). Hopefully he turns things around, as our highest paid defenseman going forward he needs to be better.

Was he on the second pairing or first?

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Wow.. I guess seeing the game on TV and live shows a different perspective. I thought Edler was spectacular last night.

In addition, the crowd was extremely loud. Comparing to the Mak's highlights, CBC definitely tones down the crowd.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
That has nothing to do with it.

It is when people are comparing the team to the '10-11 Canucks. And that continues to happen.

The Canucks have received nothing from $10mil worth of 2nd liners in Booth and Kesler, have $10mil tied up in net and another $4mil plus on a bottom pairing dman that was a healthy scratch last night. Pretty tough to be a dominant team in a tough Western confernce with that amount of cap space providing no advantage in game-play. That's the simple reality of the situation.

5th in the NHL with everything I've just listed is not a disappointment. Too much parity in the league to stand above the field when your top 6 forwards/top 4 dmen are hurt or out of the lineup.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It is when people are comparing the team to the '10-11 Canucks. And that continues to happen.

The Canucks have received nothing from $10mil worth of 2nd liners in Booth and Kesler, have $10mil tied up in net and another $4mil plus on a bottom pairing dman that was a healthy scratch last night. Pretty tough to be a dominant team in a tough Western confernce with that amount of cap space providing no advantage in game-play. That's the simple reality of the situation.

5th in the NHL with everything I've just listed is not a disappointment. Too much parity in the league to stand above the field when your top 6 forwards/top 4 dmen are hurt or out of the lineup.

Still has literally nothing to do with my criticism of how they're playing.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow.. I guess seeing the game on TV and live shows a different perspective. I thought Edler was spectacular last night.

In addition, the crowd was extremely loud. Comparing to the Mak's highlights, CBC definitely tones down the crowd.
Absolutely. Have no idea why they do that.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think this team can play as well as that one did, that doesn't mean the same results will come.

Without Ryan Kesler? Wow. I would never expect anything even close to that level of play without a dominant two-way centreman like Kesler in the lineup. Not realistic.

We also replaced a 30 goalscoring Mikael Samuelsson with a complete dud in David Booth.

Manny Malhotra also was a big part of that team and he's been replaced with a vastly inferior Jordan Schroeder.

Never mind we lost a stud dman in Erhroff.

This team absolutely should not play as well as that '10-11 team.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Re-read it. It has everything to do with what you're saying. This team simply does not have the personnel to play at the level you're looking for.

I'm not sure how us having money tied up in Booth and Ballard is responding to what I'm saying. My contention has been that the coaching staff is not getting the best out of this group. Benching Ballard and getting what they are out of Booth just confirms that for me. I don't think they're getting the best they can out of Edler, Garrison, Kassian or Schroeder either (or even Raymond, Hansen and Higgins).

Obviously you have a different opinion but you're responding to a point that I have not made.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Obviously you have a different opinion but you're responding to a point that I have not made.

I am responding to you saying this team could play as well as the '10-11 season. I am sayiing why this cannot, should not and will not happen. They don't have the personnel for it. Schroeder is nowhere close to the '10-11 Malhotra, Booth is a shell of Mikael Samuelsson, Garrison isn't going to provide the spark Ehrhoff did which will prevent the Sedins from being Art Ross winners, Kesler has provided nothing due to injury and we don't have $4mil plus tied up in a #6 defender or $4mil plus tied up in the backup position.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My point is some of you have already convinced yourselves that the Canucks are not a good hockey team, and no matter what they do on the ice short of beating Chicago 10-0 will change that.

You can't realistically ask for a better outcome than last night, and yet here you are, pounding away on your keyboard about how terrible the Canucks are, and we were lucky to get the win.

That's your opinion and that's fine, and maybe suggesting watching basketball was taking it too far (I wouldn't wish that kind of punishment on anyone) but it's just frustrating seeing people who are so set in their opinion, that not only do they present it as fact, but they're not even swayed in the slightest by what's actually happening on the ice.

And I still stand by my OPINION that the score, in the end, is the only thing that matters. The process is important, but if you play terrible hockey yet still score more goals than the other team, you'll win the Stanley Cup.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of our sunny Sunday everyone, and hopefully we get to see a hockey game tonight if the stupid Calgary weather cooperates.

Some of us have not convinced ourselves that the Canucks are a bad team, we're just telling it like it is, and that is the Canucks are not on a level that will win the Cup. The score does not always indicate how a team plays overall in a game. At this point in time, I'm more worried about how our overall game is game in and game out, rather than the score. We put in a full effort, stick to the system then the results will come.

We're not specifically talking about this game, as I have mentioned myself a few times at least. This game was a step in the right direction, I've said this, but it is only one game hence it won't change my opinion on this team under-performing. We've been playing some bad hockey since the Boston game last season, there is no disputing that. Proof is in the pudding. Wanting more from this team, or criticizing their play doesn't mean I think the Canucks are terrible, nor does it make them terrible by any stretch.

My opinion is set because the Canucks have played like this for a year, and it is fact. We coasted to the playoffs, luckily won the President's Trophy that year, and got steamrolled by LA which really wasn't a surprise the way we were playing heading into the playoffs. Of course I'm not swayed by what's happening on the ice because I don't let one win that is a step in the right direction all of a sudden make everything better. We're playing the same way we did when we coasted into the playoffs last year, how is that not a cause for concern?

I still disagree that the score is the only thing that matters but that's your opinion and I am not going to change it, so there's no bother to dispute it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->