Post-Game Talk: Game 20: BRUINS win a shootout in Toronto - win a shootout?????

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
One positive to take from this game was a perfect PK.

McQuaid looks really terrible out there. He has no puck skills and whenever he's in the d zone and gets the puck he just shoots it out of the zone and gives up possession. He can't make a play with the puck. That contract he signed looks terrible right now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tuukka Rask never steals games guys or at least that is what I was told

Nice to take em both from the Leafs. That goal by Marchand was something

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

McQuaid looks really terrible out there. He has no puck skills and whenever he's in the d zone and gets the puck he just shoots it out of the zone and gives up possession. He can't make a play with the puck. That contract he signed looks terrible right now.

I understand he is a purely defensive player, but I saw McQuaid take two shots from the point last night that weren't evenly remotely close to the net. As in, they hit the freaking half wall on the other side of the ice. No blocks, no redirects, just purely, awful shot attempts. :laugh:

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I understand he is a purely defensive player, but I saw McQuaid take two shots from the point last night that weren't evenly remotely close to the net. As in, they hit the freaking half wall on the other side of the ice. No blocks, no redirects, just purely, awful shot attempts. :laugh:

Haha I remember one of them. He had an open shot to the net and it went in the corner or the rink.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
As far as Chara goes, I'm not even sure it's the knee. More that he's a 6'9", 38 year old hockey player. This was always the reality and always a reason he couldn't return to form. Me and a minority of the board acknowledged this basic reality which the majority of the board, for clearly biased and emotional reasons, refused to acknowledge. Now, reality is becoming...reality. And, people are sad. Which is understandable. But, it should never be claimed this was not obviously able to be seen coming. There was just no other possibility.

The fact that this team continues to lean so heavily on Chara is a bit scary. As decent as drafting has been, there still seems to be very little of a "post-Chara plan", which is basically upon us.

I'm a little confused...are you saying Chara hasn't returned to his former self because he's 6'9" and 38 years old...yet at the same time brushing off the knee injury as a reason why.

I'm not getting into the you and your minority group discussion. Everyone has a different opinion.

But I'm 110 % sure the reason Chara can't lean on people and isn't as physical as he once was...a short two years ago, has more to do with the knee injury he sustained and has been reported as to not needing surgery, but will not be ever 100 % then the fact he is 38 years old and 6'9"...

He needs his legs to move people or pin them and hit them. Prime example; last night McQuaid dumps Kadri on his backside. As much as that is upper body strength that doesn't happen if he has bad knees or weak legs.

With the fact that NHL teams have gone to smaller faster forwards, Chara's size is a problem to some extent which makes his knee problems even more pronounced because he can't get himself positioned to use his lower body to do the hitting.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

And he's my replacement for morrow. I can't stand the dumb penalties and slow reaction time by him. Brutal.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Watching Chara you can see that the knee is not 100 % and you can tell how much strength he has lost because of it. He is no longer the physical force on the ice he used to be...:(

I made this comment on facebook, I'd take Lucic and his contract right now over Balesky and what every he is making...:(

Does Spooner still play for the Bruins...:sarcasm:

I would love to have Looch back.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He played wing again last night. I thought he looked alright. Struggles winning board battles at both ends. Kemppainen isn't the answer either.

I actually thought Kemp looked pretty good with Belesky and Connolly flanking him. He is one of those guys that's just kind of "there" though, I agree. Doesn't impress, doesn't disappoint necessarily, just kind of "is" haha. Good to have those guys in your pocket I suppose as they can eat minutes when needed.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
It was only the 2nd OT game this year and both times, the Bruins took a penalty. This time, they survived (thanks to Tuukka) and won it in the shoutout.

Bruins are back in a playoffs spot and can climb in 3rd in the division with game in hands on everyone else with a win tomorrow against Detroit.

Go Tuukka Go!

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I dunno...I miss Looch too...but I'd take C.Miller, Belesky and a 1st over him everyday of the week!

Not to mention it's made Krejci a more creative/productive forward so far.

Lucic will always remain a favorite of mine and it was kind of sad that his era in Boston came to an end, but C.Miller, Zboril, Kuraly and SJ 2016 1st is an awesome return for him.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I'm a little confused...are you saying Chara hasn't returned to his former self because he's 6'9" and 38 years old...yet at the same time brushing off the knee injury as a reason why.

I'm not getting into the you and your minority group discussion. Everyone has a different opinion.

But I'm 110 % sure the reason Chara can't lean on people and isn't as physical as he once was...a short two years ago, has more to do with the knee injury he sustained and has been reported as to not needing surgery, but will not be ever 100 % then the fact he is 38 years old and 6'9"...

He needs his legs to move people or pin them and hit them. Prime example; last night McQuaid dumps Kadri on his backside. As much as that is upper body strength that doesn't happen if he has bad knees or weak legs.

With the fact that NHL teams have gone to smaller faster forwards, Chara's size is a problem to some extent which makes his knee problems even more pronounced because he can't get himself positioned to use his lower body to do the hitting.

Not sure what the point is. That Chara will get back to around 90% effectiveness even with a bum knee and everything will be hunky dory? Uh, yeah, I guess that c-o-u-l-d happen.

Or, people could go with the odds and consider that him being 6'9'' AND 38 years old AND with a bad knee are factors that are already working to diminish his effectiveness this year, and will likely continue to do so, which would tend to indicate that he's basically cooked.

I commented during last night's game that he is laboring out there as if it were March, yet we're still in November.

No way this guy's gonna return to his prior form. I really even doubt he'll last this entire season.

Fact remains that we have no post Chara/post Seidenberg plan.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Had to miss this one, but watching the highlights, yeah it looked like the Parrenteau goal may have been offside.

Still not sure why they gave Marchand credit for his 2nd goal - looked like Ferraro poked it in. Were there replays that showed it was already in before Ferraro poked at it?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Had to miss this one, but watching the highlights, yeah it looked like the Parrenteau goal may have been offside.

Still not sure why they gave Marchand credit for his 2nd goal - looked like Ferraro poked it in. Were there replays that showed it was already in before Ferraro poked at it?

Yes. I didn't see Ferraro even getting a stick on it, really.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Toronto

getimage.aspx

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/23/leafs-force-overtime-lose-in-shootout-to-bruins

TORONTO - James Reimer could have pinned medals on his penalty killers on Monday night, while Mike Babcock will definitely jab a few Maple Leafs during a four-day practice week.

With the Boston Bruins in position to sweep the home-and-home series, up 2-0 on two bad goals with Reimer’s fingerprints all over them, the Leafs’ special ops took over, kept the game alive to force overtime and gain the team at least a point for the ninth time in 11 contests.

Toronto let a tiebreaker power play slip away, but the eventual 4-3 shootout loss did allow it to stick its nose out of the Atlantic Division basement, a point up on Buffalo.

“They’re crazy,†Reimer said in admiration of the PK unit going 3-for-3 and not allowing a goal in five games.

“I’ve got all of the equipment on and they’re laying down the body. A couple of the guys took some zingers (notably Roman Polak off his foot) and kept on going. They’re just sacrificing and doing a heck of a job.

“We battled hard and got a well-earned point. Obviously we’d like two. At the end of the day, I’d like to be sharper from the get-go.â€

Brad Marchand scored after Reimer’s old communication breakdowns out of his net re-surfaced and then gave up way too much on the short side to allow plugger Zac Rinaldo to beat him.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
Not sure what the point is. That Chara will get back to around 90% effectiveness even with a bum knee and everything will be hunky dory? Uh, yeah, I guess that c-o-u-l-d happen.

Or, people could go with the odds and consider that him being 6'9'' AND 38 years old AND with a bad knee are factors that are already working to diminish his effectiveness this year, and will likely continue to do so, which would tend to indicate that he's basically cooked.

I commented during last night's game that he is laboring out there as if it were March, yet we're still in November.

No way this guy's gonna return to his prior form. I really even doubt he'll last this entire season.

My point is that regardless of his age and size it's his knee that is holding him back from being the physical type player the Bruins need him to be. If his knee was 100 % I have no doubt he'd be leaning on guys and pushing them a lot easier then he is now.

But his skating has never been a strong suit of his game but with a good knee he was a little more mobile then he is now.

I'm in 100 % agreement with you on we have no replacement for Chara and Seids and that is on Sweeney for blowing the Hamilton trade.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I believe the term is confirmation bias.

No one can expect Chara to be Norris Chara. He is still by far our #1 and performing quite well. He is slower, and playing less physical. He is still playing very solid. Having a great season, in fact. Playing with a #7 in Trotman doesn't help him, although it's helped Trotman to look pretty good so far.

Chara has never been a great skater. It's as if fans are realizing this for the first time in his career here.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
I'm in 100 % agreement with you on we have no replacement for Chara and Seids and that is on Sweeney for blowing the Hamilton trade.

Sweeney? no, Hamilton didn't want to sign here. I place it more on Chiarelli before him for putting all of his hopes on Hamilton and not drafting or signing another D. Boychuk seemed the right guy to take over.. but we know what Chiarelli did there. That's the trade that cost him his job in my opinion.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I'm not trying to downplay the knee injury. Clearly a serious injury.

What I'm saying is that a 38 year old 6'9" defenseman would clearly slow way down this time and would not have a big "comeback year", yes due to age and increased lack of mobility. His knee could be 100% healed...he still would be slower, and Chara, given he's never been that fast, and yes given a knee injury, isn't what he was at all. In fact, many nights he looks horrible.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Chara is what he is at this point. Where's the Norris trophy poster? Lol. They should have fixed the knee if he can't put wieght on it. The guy is always playing hurt. At some point, things need to get fixed. He looks scarey out there some times. Sometimes he's ok. Having Hamilton out there wouldn't do much for this team. Miller will be better than him by the end of the season at this rate. So it's a wash. Boychuk had an effect which I never thought would happen. I was totally wrong with my opinion of his worth to this team.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Chara is what he is at this point. Where's the Norris trophy poster? Lol. They should have fixed the knee if he can't put wieght on it. The guy is always playing hurt. At some point, things need to get fixed. He looks scarey out there some times. Sometimes he's ok. Having Hamilton out there wouldn't do much for this team. Miller will be better than him by the end of the season at this rate. So it's a wash. Boychuk had an effect which I never thought would happen. I was totally wrong with my opinion of his worth to this team.

You can't "fix" a PCL once it is torn. And it is the least crucial ligament in regards to putting weight on the knee, which is why they usually leave it be instead of doing invasive surgery. One should probably have a better grasp on medical issues before posting with such authority. :shakehead

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Chara is still a top dman in the Eastern Conference. He can still shut down any teams top guy. I don't care how old he is, since his return the Bruins are a completely different team.

Chara is a legend!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad