Post-Game Talk: Game 20: BRUINS win a shootout in Toronto - win a shootout?????

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I commented on this during the second/third periods last nite.

but...if somebody tuned into this game during the 2nd/3rd period, you would this the Bruins were the worst team in the league.

the whole team is just so inconsistent.

even rask last nite.
he was great, but his second period was brutal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Are we watching the same Krug? He's been more than fine. He's been on the ice for only 12 goals this whole season, which is 5 less than any of the other 4 regulars (Miller, Chara, McQuaid). He's stepped up and played some PK. He's not the strongest player, but he's only 5'9. I've seen him lose a few puck battles due to his size, and then see him fight right back and take the puck away. Krug, of anybody on this D-core, is not remotely an issue. He's not a top 2 guy, and won't be, but he's a guy I'm more than comfortable with back there, and paying him to be a top powerplay producer and consistent 20 minute a night guy.

This.

Krug has probably been the best overall d-man on the team, and Colin Miller with another strong game as well. The play on Grabner, the hip check, the puck movement. Every game I keep waiting to see these weaknesses people keep referencing...and don't.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I commented on this during the second/third periods last nite.

but...if somebody tuned into this game during the 2nd/3rd period, you would this the Bruins were the worst team in the league.

the whole team is just so inconsistent.

even rask last nite.
he was great, but his second period was brutal.

It wasn't great....but dude still put up 30+ saves and was the reason why we won. If you count the number of defensive turnovers we had in that 2nd period; Leafs should've been winning....not tied.

Also, not sure if it was already discussed or not, but why didn't the Bruins challenge the offside call on the Bozak goal?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Not sure why ppl are bashing Krug..he was the only dman that look solid last night.

When things were getting tough in the defensive zone; he skated the puck all the way to the opposing blueline, which almost resulted in a goal.

I've always been hard on Krug and never thought he'd be a top 4 dman......but he's proved me wrong. He's been one of our most consistent players this year.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
He's been great on the PP, mostly makes great decisions with the puck there, but 5on5, he is a terrible, complete perimeter player. At this point, he's not a player would want to keep around for the future.

Sounds a bit like Seguin.
How did that work out for Boston ?
Not saying Spooner = Sequin.
Mngmt said they would be more patient with young players.
Here is their test.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
How patient to you become with Spooner though?

IMO, if you can acquire a more proven 3rd line center...then I have no issues putting him on the 4th line with Rinaldo/Ferraro or Vertano......but kid is getting eaten alive on the 3rd line in the defensive zone.

I actually feel like teams will score on him every time they put some pressure on us.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Are we watching the same Krug? He's been more than fine. He's been on the ice for only 12 goals this whole season, which is 5 less than any of the other 4 regulars (Miller, Chara, McQuaid). He's stepped up and played some PK. He's not the strongest player, but he's only 5'9. I've seen him lose a few puck battles due to his size, and then see him fight right back and take the puck away. Krug, of anybody on this D-core, is not remotely an issue. He's not a top 2 guy, and won't be, but he's a guy I'm more than comfortable with back there, and paying him to be a top powerplay producer and consistent 20 minute a night guy.

That's what I thought. I counted at least three times he relieved pressure in the 3rd period by simply skating it out himself. All while everyone else was struggling with the Toronto forecheck. Specifically Chara an McQuaid.

Seidenberg hasn't been as bad as I expected, but another quality skater is needed on the back end IMO.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
One of the players I despise the most in the NHL is turning out to be Kadri. What a diving, whining piece of **** that guy is.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
How patient to you become with Spooner though?

IMO, if you can acquire a more proven 3rd line center...then I have no issues putting him on the 4th line with Rinaldo/Ferraro or Vertano......but kid is getting eaten alive on the 3rd line in the defensive zone.

I actually feel like teams will score on him every time they put some pressure on us.

He played wing again last night. I thought he looked alright. Struggles winning board battles at both ends. Kemppainen isn't the answer either.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
For those saying Chara had a rough game but Trotman was good really need to share their recipe for whatever they are drinking. Chara spent the night doing the job of two defencemen, Trotman was consistently out of position and Chara was trying to compensate for it. Put Trotman in the stands move Sieds to the right side and play Morrow. Trotman has a long way to go to be a regular in this league.

My take exactly. Trotman wanders way too much for my liking.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Some people will always look at Krug and just see a short guy, give him 4-6'' and we're probably talking about a Norris contender. He bet on himself with a 1 year deal and so far has proved he is a capable top 4 d-man able to play in all 3 phases. He's a bit snake-bitten with his shot, however he'll eventually come out of it. Marchand had a long stretch last year and look how he is playing now. Krug isn't going to continue shooting under 2%.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He played wing again last night. I thought he looked alright. Struggles winning board battles at both ends. Kemppainen isn't the answer either.

Agreed; that's why I think we need to acquire a more seasoned veteran, who can also help out PK.

As much as DK has helped our 2nd unit recently, I don't want our top 4 forwards always killing penalties. Also, when Bergeron took a penalty in OT; the forward that replaced Louie was Kemppainen.....pretty sad :help:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Spooner was the pregame interview, and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. I've been pro-Spooner and giving him a shot, but I have very little patience for professionals that basically act like aloof teenagers. He seemed like he was trying to hide his annoyance about floating between wing and center (and doing a bad job of it). Would think/hope that young guys would be willing to do whatever is asked of them to help out the team and make it however they can.

His play isn't good enough for him to come off like that. I was pretty disappointed.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Spooner was the pregame interview, and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. I've been pro-Spooner and giving him a shot, but I have very little patience for professionals that basically act like aloof teenagers. He seemed like he was trying to hide his annoyance about floating between wing and center (and doing a bad job of it). Would think/hope that young guys would be willing to do whatever is asked of them to help out the team and make it however they can.

His play isn't good enough for him to come off like that. I was pretty disappointed.

Well said. :handclap:

If he doesn't pick up his play soon he'll be back in Providence.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Missed the game bc of the Pats game....can anyone give me a quick post recap? How did the team look? Any guys look great/terrible?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Missed the game bc of the Pats game....can anyone give me a quick post recap? How did the team look? Any guys look great/terrible?

Team looked like **** and had no business winning this game.

Rask stole this one for us.

Marchand was on.

The entire D core was just brutal save maybe Sieds.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
The fact that the Leafs third goal was offside and the Bruins didn't challenge it is inexcusable. This day and age I would think teams would have someone specifically monitoring every goal ready to issue challenges when necessary.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The 4th line impressed me a bunch last night. Talbot played a great game, Rinaldo was Rinaldo and chipped in with a goal and I thought Ferraro was noticeable in his first game as a Bruin. That said, I still take Randell over Talbot.

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Overall a terrible game by the team(except Rask).
Glad that this one finally went the Bruins way, considering how this season has played out thus far.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The 4th line impressed me a bunch last night. Talbot played a great game, Rinaldo was Rinaldo and chipped in with a goal and I thought Ferraro was noticeable in his first game as a Bruin. That said, I still take Randell over Talbot.

I honestly don't mind them swapping those guys around. It gives them motivation to bust their ass in every game that they do play. They are getting opportunities with people injured. It's always good to have multiple options out there depending on the matchup, and backups in case people do get hurt.

I would take Randell over Talbot at this point, especially because Talbot has lost a step, but I have no problem with Talbot stepping in and playing 8 minutes every once in a while. Rinaldo is also okay, but a guy that I'm fine with sitting every other night. Keep things fresh, ride the hot hands. Take advantage of the depth you have there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad