GDT: Game 20-0-4 Arizona Coyotes and the Washington Generals 1:00pm MST

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If it was warmer they would be outside protesting McGinn and the Coyotes with signs that said, "Not my gamewinner"

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Is Domi okay? That piece of dog **** Lucic ran him in the closing seconds. Full charge. Uncalled. Completely needless. Pure ********. Wouldn't be surprised if Max is concussed.

Saw video of max giving the belt to OEL, he looked OK.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The young players are typically some of the best players on the ice. We had these same issues with teams that didn't have more than one or two young players. It doesn't hold water to me because the problems have been etched into our identity way before they were here. I'm not looking at our record, I'm looking at the product. It's poor. It's been poor. Despite stealing a few more points lately through stellar goaltending, we don't visually look a lot better. You would think the high skill young players would make us worse defensively, but result in more scoring chances for. Not happening. In fact, they seem to be regressing somewhat under this staff.
Chychrun has been healthy scratched because he's too tentative, while we seemingly go out of our way to make the kids tentative. DeAngelo will be next. Dvorak before him. Martinook has been great (less somewhat center).
Where do we get the "prevent" turtling, if not from the coaching staff who preaches defense to the exclusion of offense?

Visually I would say the first period Friday night was the best hockey we've probably played all year. No, we look awful when we get a lead and go into our prevent defense. the whole team looks like crap when they spend half a period st a time in the defensive zone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our goal tending cost us a few games early in the season and has won us a few games lately. Besides goal tending, as a team, we are playing better. Our coverage on D and our first few passes out of our own zone are much better. We have been keeping our GAA down the last 10 games or so except for 1 bad game by smith. If we can keep the score down, we have a chance to win, all I can ask for.

The future looks bright. I really like the play of Deangelo lately too, he is a premier puck mover in the making. His decisions are quick and solid, just what we need. Our 4th line has been great, best one we have had in a long time.

I agree. Dvo is playing better, gaining more confidence, although I would like to get Chychrun back in, and the Duke has to get going. I also thought Reider and OEL have played much better the last two games. Having, what is it, 10 or 12 different players from last years team takes time too gel. Doan has played better the last two games also but nowhere near to last years performance. I think we have a nice mix of vets and kids right now, but with Richardson gone for an extended period we are still very weak at C. Like you and a few others have mentioned the play of our 4th line. :nod:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Great road win, incredibly well structured game by our boys. DT outcoached McLellan.

I think you're right to an extent, because it's obvious that Edmonton basically has McDavid's line and then three other lines to pass the time until McDavid recharges his batteries. But I don't know about our structure - we had a bunch of defensive lapses that led to a lot of scoring chances for the Oilers. Still need a lot of work there.

RE: McDavid, he's a real beast right now. God, is he ever flashy, and he's got scoring chops for days, but I found myself wondering if he has a skillset that will last when his body starts to go a few years from now. A lot of his domination seems tied up in speed and agility and I'm curious to know what will happen when those traits begin to regress to the mean.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
OEL received the game belt, and rightfully so. He did a masterful job on limiting McDavid.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No idea on longevity of McDavid but it sure looks like he is trying too hard to drive the play as without him the Oilers still are not a very good team. Fact is they are not even average if he's not in the lineup. Lucic is a contract they are gonna wish they never signed, if they haven't already.
I think you're right to an extent, because it's obvious that Edmonton basically has McDavid's line and then three other lines to pass the time until McDavid recharges his batteries. But I don't know about our structure - we had a bunch of defensive lapses that led to a lot of scoring chances for the Oilers. Still need a lot of work there.

RE: McDavid, he's a real beast right now. God, is he ever flashy, and he's got scoring chops for days, but I found myself wondering if he has a skillset that will last when his body starts to go a few years from now. A lot of his domination seems tied up in speed and agility and I'm curious to know what will happen when those traits begin to regress to the mean.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No idea on longevity of McDavid but it sure looks like he is trying too hard to drive the play as without him the Oilers still are not a very good team. Fact is they are not even average if he's not in the lineup. Lucic is a contract they are gonna wish they never signed, if they haven't already.

They are average at best with McDavid. I don't think they will make the playoffs with that D. Larson and Klef are a 2D/3D at best. It is hard to be average or above without a 1D.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
8-10-2 is the one of record and the one that matters, not whatever optics you want to come up DJ Spinmaster.

:laugh: that's not a bad tagline... just tryin' ta stay positive around here...unlike some people, who used to root for us to lose to get a few extra ping pong ball combinations (and overshot the mark), and are now probably hoping we lose to increase the chances of the coach getting fired... whatever floats yer boats, mang

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
McSavior is scary good. Imagine him on a team with actual depth so he didn't have to play 39min a night

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
McSavior is scary good. Imagine him on a team with actual depth so he didn't have to play 39min a night

He even dives better than anyone else. Like that OEL hit into the boards, where OEL gave him a nudge and he catapulted about seven feet into the air and spread-eagled on the glass? Or when Duclair was threatening to hit him, so he leaped with full abandon onto our bench? :laugh:

Flair for the dramatic, for sure.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
He even dives better than anyone else. Like that OEL hit into the boards, where OEL gave him a nudge and he catapulted about seven feet into the air and spread-eagled on the glass? Or when Duclair was threatening to hit him, so he leaped with full abandon onto our bench? :laugh:

Flair for the dramatic, for sure.

I thought he got smoked the first time I saw it, but yeah. It was all his theatrics!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Poll results keep adding more and more "yes" votes. Who said hockey fans are dumb? :shakehead

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south

If anything he hasn't peaked yet in terms of his speed as he continues to get stronger. Will dominate the league for the next 5-10 years. you bring up a good point but i dont think his speed will regress for a long time

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's Toronto schtick to suggest every NHL star coming up on UFA is coming home, so no idea why he would be heading to Vancouver??
I dunno, that kinda came out of nowhere, I was just updating BT on his contract status, not critiquing the probability of it coming to pass.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why would anyone think Vancouver is in McDavid's future??

Ever been there? Stunning. Great quality of life. It far surpasses Edmonton. They have the money to pay McD's free agent contract. The city has shown that it cherishes the great players, like the Sedins. Also, Seattle is just a drive away so that McD and his future family can get away from it all and enjoy a cosmopolitan city in relative anonymity. Don't underestimate this. The constant attention can really wear a family down and limit their freedom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad