GDT: Game 20-0-4 Arizona Coyotes and the Washington Generals 1:00pm MST

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Miss the game and just check out this thread, so many LOLs to be had. Definitely one of the best gdt.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Great game today
We've always had good luck with the Oilers.
I guess every team has one or two teams whose number they have.
Sort of like The Blues with us.
I was trying to think if there were others..
Haven't the Blues beaten us 8 or 9 straight times?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Great game today
We've always had good luck with the Oilers.
I guess every team has one or two teams whose number they have.
Sort of like The Blues with us.
I was trying to think if there were others..
Haven't the Blues beaten us 8 or 9 straight times?

Shark season have always had our number as well up until this season. Although we will see how the rest of the games go this season.

The Habs always beat us as well. Boston has had a 5 year run I believe as well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nice win today, but we didn't outplay them like we did on Friday. Smith looked great again and I am glad Ducalir got that point. We need Duke to get rolling. Nice job by Tip of keeping OEL on McD and the game plan in general.

It seems like our outlet passing is getting better, that is a good sign.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nice win today, but we didn't outplay them like we did on Friday. Smith looked great again and I am glad Ducalir got that point. We need Duke to get rolling. Nice job by Tip of keeping OEL on McD and the game plan in general.

It seems like our outlet passing is getting better, that is a good sign.

It was a good road win.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Amazing how when we have solid goaltending we put up points. Good goalie = good coach.

How many of our points came from games in which we were heavily outshot and needed above average or excellent goaltending? I can think of two wins that didn't. There are probably a couple more that I'm blocking out, but we still don't look very good despite our record in the last ten. Don't get me wrong, I love the Edmonton streak, but we really still look like hot garbage at least 2 of three periods a night. Not impressed. Glad Smith seems to be holding up this year (mostly).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How many of our points came from games in which we were heavily outshot and needed above average or excellent goaltending? I can think of two wins that didn't. There are probably a couple more that I'm blocking out, but we still don't look very good despite our record in the last ten. Don't get me wrong, I love the Edmonton streak, but we really still look like hot garbage at least 2 of three periods a night. Not impressed. Glad Smith seems to be holding up this year (mostly).

With our current roster we were always going to rely on solid goaltending to keep us in games. My point is with solid goaltending the gameplan is understandable albeit still uncomfortable.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just watched the tape. This losing streak to the Coyotes is becoming self fulfilling to the Oilers. The come into the game just knowing that something, like the crazy Vrbata shot, will do them in.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

With our current roster we were always going to rely on solid goaltending to keep us in games. My point is with solid goaltending the gameplan is understandable albeit still uncomfortable.

We are rebuilding and this was expected. We get good goaltending we are competitive, lousy goaltending makes it hard to win. The last three games I think we have looked very good, but it will be a up and down year. I believe the second half we will see much better results.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I hate everything about the dump and no chase. We do it all the time in close games. Makes no sense. We just hand possession to the other team. Someone the other day posted a stat that in something like the last ten minutes of a play, the Coyotes had the puck in the opposition's half of the ice less than a minute. Not O-zone possession -- that half of the ice.
It's ridiculous.
We shouldn't need goaltenders to make 35+ saves a night.
How many scoring chances did the Coyotes generate in this game?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hate everything about the dump and no chase. We do it all the time in close games. Makes no sense. We just hand possession to the other team. Someone the other day posted a stat that in something like the last ten minutes of a play, the Coyotes had the puck in the opposition's half of the ice less than a minute. Not O-zone possession -- that half of the ice.
It's ridiculous.
We shouldn't need goaltenders to make 35+ saves a night.
How many scoring chances did the Coyotes generate in this game?

I agree. The prevent defence only usually prevents winning.

When we get saves we have a chance to win. Smith played great and we earned some points. Yes not easy on the nerves but we won.

Remember we still have 8 1st and 2nd year players on this squad. Many in key roles. Guys like Chychrun, Martinook and DeAngelo have been very pleasant surprises and are playing well above expectations. We also have players like Duclair and Reider who are playing below last year's level. Overall I think we will progress on our scoring chances as team matures. We are a work in process.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The young players are typically some of the best players on the ice. We had these same issues with teams that didn't have more than one or two young players. It doesn't hold water to me because the problems have been etched into our identity way before they were here. I'm not looking at our record, I'm looking at the product. It's poor. It's been poor. Despite stealing a few more points lately through stellar goaltending, we don't visually look a lot better. You would think the high skill young players would make us worse defensively, but result in more scoring chances for. Not happening. In fact, they seem to be regressing somewhat under this staff.
Chychrun has been healthy scratched because he's too tentative, while we seemingly go out of our way to make the kids tentative. DeAngelo will be next. Dvorak before him. Martinook has been great (less somewhat center).
Where do we get the "prevent" turtling, if not from the coaching staff who preaches defense to the exclusion of offense?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Domi okay? That piece of dog **** Lucic ran him in the closing seconds. Full charge. Uncalled. Completely needless. Pure ********. Wouldn't be surprised if Max is concussed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Oilers have won 12 games this season. They've lost 11. This after being the disgrace of the league for years and years and years. But those 12 wins (11 losses aside) are enough to make their fans believe they are contenders. It's impressive really.

The Coyotes have lost 12 games this year. One more than 11. Ask most of our fans and they'll tell you this is the worst we've ever been. Kind of funny how that works.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
3-1-2 in last six...wow, the wheels have well and truly fallen off, eh?

Two wins against the Oilers and three losses against some of the worst teams in the league. Also lol at your convenient sample size.

At least they showed up for all 60 the last two games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We're not worse than the post tdl team finishing out the the pre-, pre-rebuild year. But we haven't traded off Hanzal yet, and the real playoff contenders haven't tightened up when the points get harder to come by. Last year we started hot with Duke and Domi, and then trailed off. Season before we started mild and dropped rapidly. Every year we were "going to improve as the season goes on" until we didn't, and then it was "points get harder to come by in the second half".
I see modest improvement from the very beginning of the season when we went 1-11, but we're still seeing all the same familiar problems despite the roster turnover. I'm not optimistic about the chances of "seeing much better results in the second half".
Prove me wrong, Tipp.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Amazing how when we have solid goaltending we put up points. Good goalie = good coach.

Our goal tending cost us a few games early in the season and has won us a few games lately. Besides goal tending, as a team, we are playing better. Our coverage on D and our first few passes out of our own zone are much better. We have been keeping our GAA down the last 10 games or so except for 1 bad game by smith. If we can keep the score down, we have a chance to win, all I can ask for.

The future looks bright. I really like the play of Deangelo lately too, he is a premier puck mover in the making. His decisions are quick and solid, just what we need. Our 4th line has been great, best one we have had in a long time.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Two wins against the Oilers and three losses against some of the worst teams in the league. Also lol at your convenient sample size.

At least they showed up for all 60 the last two games.

Here's another sample size you can LOL at: 7-5-2. Worst. Team. Ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad