Post-Game Talk: Game 2 | Stars @ Avs | Salvation Achieved

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
very nice beating the stars..
Really nice

My 2 cents worth regarding Dutchy is he is nursing a bad leg,

He does not have the explosive jump that he showed in pre season....

No excuses for this guy. Last yr he got away with the injury excuse. He looks as explosive as ever he just needs to be stronger on plays. Hes getting tossed around like a prison ***** out there.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I prefer Pluto and Goofy. Don't think we will do better than that. Kudos whoever put that in the thread last night.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Have to say I'm a huge fan of Zadorov.

Would really like to see what Gormley can do, I'd also prefer to have Stuart dressed instead of Guenin.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
No excuses for this guy. Last yr he got away with the injury excuse. He looks as explosive as ever he just needs to be stronger on plays. Hes getting tossed around like a prison ***** out there.

Im stating as a factual observation but I do understand you.. we simply deffer and time will tell .

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Have to say I'm a huge fan of Zadorov.

Would really like to see what Gormley can do, I'd also prefer to have Stuart dressed instead of Guenin.

Same. Have a feeling his ceiling is higher than Johnson's. He could be real treat in a few years.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I really don't understand why Stuart isn't in for Guenin. He literally does everything Guenin does, but at a higher level. There isn't 1 single reason for it. Gormley is at least new to the team and you could say (which I don't agree with) that he needs some time. Stuart sitting out at the luxury of Pluto and Goofy is just dumb.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Sky aint falling but Duchene needs to wake up because we need him.

To be fair, didn't he always say he gets off to slow starts? Except for last year, I guess.

What I wonder is how he is going to adjust to not being "the man" anymore. He'll be the secondary scoring line center here probably sooner rather than later. I guess that's not a bad option for the team to have. I don't know?

Last edited:

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
To be fair, didn't he always say he gets off to slow starts. Except for last year, I guess.

What I wonder is how he is going to adjust to not being "the man" anymore. He'll be the secondary scoring line center here probably sooner rather than later. I guess that's not a bad option for the team to have. I don't know?

I don't know about the people here but I still want to have an 1a 1b type scoring line. I personally think that's totally doable if we base it around 29-92 and 9-96 but don't know if that's gonna happen in the near future.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I don't know about the people here but I still want to have an 1a 1b type scoring line. I personally think that's totally doable if we base it around 29-92 and 9-96 but don't know if that's gonna happen in the near future.

I think there are people here that would agree with you.

Could rotate them (the lines) depending on how the game is going? Maybe that is a good way to go.

Would be nice if 96 and 9 eventually go together well.

The future might be closer than we think with Mackinnon, though. I hope so.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
To be fair, didn't he always say he gets off to slow starts. Except for last year, I guess.

Slow starter Iginla has 2 goals in 2 games. I dont think it will bother Matt. He shouldnt look at himself as number 2. Peter Forsberg wasnt sitting there acting like he was inferior to Joe and Matt shouldnt think hes second fiddle to Mackinnon.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
It's pretty irrelevant until you have 3 elite centers. Having 2 elite centers doesn't cause any problems.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Nate and Soderberg are doing a nice job on the PP, Mikko is playing smart hockey, I really like what I'm seeing from him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There is no way you can convince me that a Guenin/Holden pairing should be playing above a Stuart/Gormley pairing.

It's such a joke, the only time this team struggled in this game was when that pairing was on the ice. This is two straight games where Guenin has allowed a shooter to just walk right into a prime scoring position and blast a shot past our goalie. And Holden hasn't done jack in two games.

If Stuart and Gormley had been playing the way those two have, they'd be out of the lineup so quick, but Holden and Guenin seemingly get the longest leash know to man.

It was a straight up lie for Roy to come out and say that neither Stuart or Gormley were in the top 6 performers in the preseason for defensemen. Stuart I can live with, but Gormley was arguably the best defensive performer in the preseason and deserves a shot to play, but Roy can't give up on his guys so he has to make up reasons for better players to not play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's hilarious in the Stars GDT that they are belly-aching about losing to such a ****** team yet they had TWO more points than us last season and over the last two seasons we have 214 points versus their 183. They are really drinking the off-season kool-aid...I missed when they suddenly got to be such a superior team. They'll be solid like the rest of the Central but Sharp is in steep decline, Spezza is completely one-dimensional, their depth after their big guns looks like nothing special, they've got a stud in Klingberg but still an overall mediocre defense and two "meh" aging goalies in Niemi and Lehtonen.

One fan called us a ****** team. The rest just *****ed about out-corsi'ing us and still losing every damn time.

As to the rest of your post about the stars issues I mostly agree. But Sharp looked better last night than he has in the previous couple of years with the Hawks. Who knows if he's still going to be clutch, and he is getting up there, but he looked better than I was expecting last night.

Agree 100%. Nice hit by Holden.

The problem is that Holden will make nice hit or score a nice goal every once in a while and it gets him more top two pairing ice time for a quite a while. Then he loses his man in front, he makes bad passes, he gets beat time after time on the dump in, and he pretty much plays like garbage for the majority of the time. Just when it looks like he might be in the press box he'll make another nice play or two, or play a good game, and it'll get him back in good graces with the coaching staff.

I think Holden is better than Guenin however Holden should be a #7 Dman and when he does play he should be limited to less than 15 minutes of ice time.

Holden actually made a few nice passes and aggressive reads in both this game and the wild game...at least before the implosion started; I missed the third period and have felt no urge to watch it. But his skating just hasn't improved over the past two summers anywhere near what it needed to for him to become an every game NHLer; so any misreads he makes are brutal and when his focus wanes those misreads aren't uncommon.

I don't mind Holden as #6/7 Dman, but if Stuart can still play at the level he was at last year he's better. And Gormley apparently looked a lot better than that in preseason; so at this point I'd pull Holden to. Though I can imagine Roy could leave Holden there with Zads and give Gormley his shot with Barrie...seeing how much he tried that pairing out in preseason and how partnering Barrie was the only thing keeping Guenin in the NHL.

What injury excuse? Duchene was hands down our best forward to start the season last year.
Me too. Performance is one thing. Production a different thing. Too often we get them mixed up.

So much this.

Im hoping the way Roy wants to group to play will give Matty more license to use his strength in a more aggressive manner. I think he gets engaged way more if he's doing some hitting, getting hit, and trying to put pucks on net and dig for garbage goals. Cause I think teams got his move down. In both games he's tried to do it and it got snuffed out. Its ok to get grimey Matt

This is why I would like to keep Matt and Comeau together and bump Iggy down to the Soderberg line for someone who can skate and forecheck with them. Rintintin would be great but I'd even be fine with Rendulic or Skille getting that spot as an over-powered energy line that just keeps winning the puck back until Matty gets going.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ill always remember that one Blues and Rags game where Matty got into either a fight or got rocked and came back and scored in both or at least became infinitely more aggressive and noticeable. If Mack is the no. 1 fancy pants now, cool let him, Dutchy can be the grittier more physical grinding scoring C. Its something I think he likes (not that anyone likes being hit) and it looks good on him too imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For y'all who've seen them play live a lot. Does Guenin talk more than every other dman out there? Communication is such a huge aspect of defending that is criminally under-estimated by fans in hockey and football; so I can see the useless Guenin getting love from coaches because of how beneficial he is in this respect. Not that this should keep him in the lineup, but it's a trait that would explain the coach's love for him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ill always remember that one Blues and Rags game where Matty got into either a fight or got rocked and came back and scored in both or at least became infinitely more aggressive and noticeable. If Mack is the no. 1 fancy pants now, cool let him, Dutchy can be the grittier more physical grinding scoring C. Its something I think he likes (not that anyone likes being hit) and it looks good on him too imo.

I'd like to see that at least for now; next year when they give him Rads and Rintintin/Greg he can go back to lighting it up and challenging MacK for that no.1 fancy pants C role. But for now I'd really like to see Matty out there on a simple line that can fly- and throw its weight around; even if just for a few weeks while Rantanen and Grigorenko are eased into the flow of things before getting a look on Matt's wing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
For y'all who've seen them play live a lot. Does Guenin talk more than every other dman out there? Communication is such a huge aspect of defending that is criminally under-estimated by fans in hockey and football; so I can see the useless Guenin getting love from coaches because of how beneficial he is in this respect. Not that this should keep him in the lineup, but it's a trait that would explain the coach's love for him.

i wanna see guenin on one of those mic'd up episodes..

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It's pretty irrelevant until you have 3 elite centers. Having 2 elite centers doesn't cause any problems.

I guess you'd get into an argument calling Dutchy elite. He has some elite skills, but he lacks the finish to be elite IMO. We'll see, I guess. I hope it all works out for him and us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad