Post-Game Talk: Game 2 | Stars @ Avs | Salvation Achieved

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Personally, I would have liked to have seen Duchene get out of his funk against his usual victim, but I suppose Duchene's funk is a tired narrative around here, so... It was pretty awesome watching Landy play his first ever 4-point game. Hopefully we'll see more multi-point nights from him this season (and in the postseason :nod:).

I'm also loving the sustained offensive pressure we're creating a few times a game. It's sparse right now, but hey, they've gotta start somewhere.

member 116861

I think Blake Comeau is turning into my favourite player. Seeing him and Jack Skille provide endless energy is a huge difference especially compared to the last few seasons where he haven't really had those type of guys.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There's a reason Jack Skille was drafted 7th overall in 2005. He may not have the ability to play any higher than the 4th line but that's not what he's here for. He can be one of the better 4th line players in the league if he brings a consistent effort every night, and he complements that line well. Thank god they made the decision to sign him and not Glencross.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
There's a reason Jack Skille was drafted 7th overall in 2005. He may not have the ability to play any higher than the 4th line but that's not what he's here for. He can be one of the better 4th line players in the league if he brings a consistent effort every night, and he complements that line well. Thank god they made the decision to sign him and not Glencross.

Dodged a bullet.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Brace your eyes

fllz51.png

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
It's hilarious in the Stars GDT that they are belly-aching about losing to such a ****** team yet they had TWO more points than us last season and over the last two seasons we have 214 points versus their 183. They are really drinking the off-season kool-aid...I missed when they suddenly got to be such a superior team. They'll be solid like the rest of the Central but Sharp is in steep decline, Spezza is completely one-dimensional, their depth after their big guns looks like nothing special, they've got a stud in Klingberg but still an overall mediocre defense and two "meh" aging goalies in Niemi and Lehtonen.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Have there been any post-game statements by Roy on how the D could look from now on?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
It's hilarious in the Stars GDT that they are belly-aching about losing to such a ****** team yet they had TWO more points than us last season and over the last two seasons we have 214 points versus their 183. They are really drinking the off-season kool-aid...I missed when they suddenly got to be such a superior team. They'll be solid like the rest of the Central but Sharp is in steep decline, Spezza is completely one-dimensional, their depth after their big guns looks like nothing special, they've got a stud in Klingberg but still an overall mediocre defense and two "meh" aging goalies in Niemi and Lehtonen.

I saw it too and wondered same thing. But its understandable, they added 3 quality players to their roster in Sharp, Oduya and Niemi, so their expectations are high.

Personally i felt the same when 2 seasons ago we added Tanguay and MacKinnon on top of Duchene, Landy, Stastny, ROR and even Parenteau (who was PPG player season before)...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Once again, Roy showed he wasn't set in stone with his "guys" once they started crapping the bed. Only took one bad period from Holden/Zadorov and Guenin/Barrie before Roy bailed on spreading his warts throughout the lineup. Both Guenin and Holden saw 4 minutes in the second period. Their ice time crept up in the third to around 6 minutes, but why not when the team is up 6-3 and controlling the play.

EJ blocked 4 shots, and Beauchemin blocked 8. They're getting it done at both ends. It's such a joy watching their chemistry. Mind you, they are both good enough players where either of them could look good with any other defenceman that has skill. Hopefully as EJ ages into his late 30s, he develops into what Beauchemin is. Can't say enough about that signing.

Avs are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NHL right now, behind only the Rangers. Blues lost to the Wild 3-1. I think I'd rather the roller coaster and lose 5-4. Takes the sting out of losing to the Wild a bit.

Rantanen has that "it" factor. When he throws a pass across the ice, it gets where he intended. His head is always on a swivel reading the play before he is even in it. I had 0 idea what to expect with him, but he is going to be a core player in no time.

So odd having an actual 4th line. Those three work amazing together. 2 big forecheckers and 1 puck hog.

I can't say I have complete faith in Varlamov right now.

Zadorov was finally noticeable tonight. He had a good back check on Hemsky after giving it away, and his reach just completely outdid Hemsky. Love that he tells Rousell that if he wants a fight then he would be happy to oblige.

The team looks like they have each other's back again this year. It looked like that 2 seasons ago, but not last season. Love guys like Iginla, Zadorov, and Comeau flying into scrums to help out the smaller guys.

John Mitchell, Carl Soderberg, and MacKinnon all played more than Duchene. 4th line center? :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Delusions of grandeur. Two straight years they've been dubbed the champs of the offseason.

I saw it too and wondered same thing. But its understandable, they added 3 quality players to their roster in Sharp, Oduya and Niemi, so their expectations are high.

Personally i felt the same when 2 seasons ago we added Tanguay and MacKinnon on top of Duchene, Landy, Stastny, ROR and even Parenteau (who was PPG player season before)...

Sharp is a fine player, but his best days are gone, same for Oduya who also won't be insulated by Keith, Seabrook and Hammer and as for Niemi, he's a run of the ill starter.

I'd say we did better in the offseason just by adding Beauchemin, simply because he allows everyone to play where they should and he's the best D EJ has ever played with and not by a small margin. And then you have Soderberg, Comeau, Skille, Rantanen, Zadorov and Gormley on top of that, with the loss of Radar of course, but for some reason everyone is drinking the Nill kool-aid.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If it was another player, I would say that you shouldn't do these things but I have a feeling Roussel earned this one. It's a bit like if someone makes McLeod smell the glove. He probably had it coming.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If it was another player, I would say that you shouldn't do these things but I have a feeling Roussel earned this one. It's a bit like if someone makes McLeod smell the glove. He probably had it coming.

I'm not gonna lie, I rewinded this about a dozen times giggling the whole time. Roussel really tried to sell that one too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Speaking of, have you guys listened to his interview on Avscast? A lot of interesting things he had to say. Rob and Ryan might not be Barbara Walters but they get the guys to open up talking for that long.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Weird that no Star goes after Comeau.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Have there been any post-game statements by Roy on how the D could look from now on?

He was asked post game about switching it up but made no statements about going forward. Usually things he does to spark a win he'll stick with so we'll see.

Freud, any good clips can be made of Zadorov roughing it up?

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Love watching this team actually stick up for each other. It's refreshing after the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad