Post-Game Talk: Game 2 | Stars @ Avs | Salvation Achieved

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
As soon as Been goes to the box, he breaks his own stick. He gets a new one, but I think he should have to wait until the penalty is over, and skate to the bench to get one (or change). It would be one thing if it broke during play...but to intentionally break a stick and waste time having a ref/linesman get you a new one is odd to me. Not a big deal though.

The Avs currently have 3 guys tied for second in the league in scoring. One of them should be our 3rd scoring D. None of them are our #1 center, who is pointless...but not gonna bash him today.

Benn's stick broke on the play and our #1 C has 5 pts.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Half way through the game, Roy realized that Guenin with Barrie wasn't a good idea so he switched things around, next he will realize that Guenin and Holden 3rd pair isn't a good idea either so he'll scratch one or both of them(hopefully) Small steps, small steps

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Unfortunately, it those post-game comments, Roy also said he likes the Holden-Guenin pairing. That's going to be a problem.

They are better when playing together and sheltered. I feel like when they are with better players they try to play above their skill-set. This will hopefully keep them playing a simple game.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Benn's stick broke on the play and our #1 C has 5 pts.

I could not tell if it was broken before he went into the box or not. He sure was mad at it when he got there though.

And while I agree that MacK has started out playing more like the #1, Duchene is likely still considered higher on the depth chart for now. But it will be like deciding between Sakic and Forsberg...who is the #1 there?

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
I just don't get the Guenin thing from Roy AT ALL. I was in the sixth row, behind the net and was watching Guenin closely. Very slow foot speed, at the NHL level and usually out of position. Top that off with the constant chatter when he should simply shut up and focus on doing his job.

Respect Roy and he knows a lot more about hockey than I, but something is not right. Its not like Guenin is bad at the finer points of his position, he lacks D 101 skills too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nothing against Duchene as he's one of my favourite players but if MacKinnon reaches his potential or even comes close to it, I think it'll be clear who the #1 center is. Having Duchene as the #2 won't be bad at all.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
True, I expect MacK to pass him eventually, maybe even this season. But part of that is linemate quality. MacK has a much better LW this year (not knocking Comeau...but top line winger he is not). The other part is age....that 4 years is gong to catch up to Duchene at some point...he will plateau, and MacK will continue to improve for a few years. Plus MacK has a better overall game....Duchene can be just as good in one dimension, MacK will be much better in the others.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just don't get the Guenin thing from Roy AT ALL. I was in the sixth row, behind the net and was watching Guenin closely. Very slow foot speed, at the NHL level and usually out of position. Top that off with the constant chatter when he should simply shut up and focus on doing his job.

Respect Roy and he knows a lot more about hockey than I, but something is not right. Its not like Guenin is bad at the finer points of his position, he lacks D 101 skills too.

Age-old coachthink, especially those with that old-school mentality: Coaches just love guys who go out there and sacrifice the body blocking shots, as opposed to the guy who doesn't block shots, but has decent hands/wheels and can skate it or pass it out of the zone. One guy's mistakes are far, far more glaring than the other's. It doesn't seem obvious to most who just watch the game that the guy blocking shots with hands of stone is having to do so because he never has the puck, whereas the other guy is in essence a better defensive asset because he can get the puck out of the zone, which is a riskier but far more effective form of shot prevention.

I think the thing that kills me most about Guenin is that when he was focused on flattening opposing forwards, he was halfway effective. When they changed his game and turned him into a floating shot-blocking zeppelin, he went from somewhat useful plug to worst d-man in the league. Roy wouldn't dare tell Cody McLeod to quit hitting people, not sure why he and the assistants told Guenin to do so.

What's most frustrating about Roy and his approach to Guenin is that he KNOWS Guenin is a liability on skates. He shelters him throughout the whole game and outright benches him when things get tight. Yet game after game there he is...now that there are obviously better options on the team, he's still there and I just don't get why Roy is making his own job that much harder by sticking with a guy he clearly knows is no good.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mack centering Landy makes him the 1C IMO. Landy's line will always get the minutes and match top lines. He's on the first PP unit and he PKs now. What's preventing him from being seen as the 1C? Of course it has to continue and I'm not putting it past Roy to shake things up but there seems to be a determination to give him this role and he's done well thus far.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
True, I expect MacK to pass him eventually, maybe even this season. But part of that is linemate quality. MacK has a much better LW this year (not knocking Comeau...but top line winger he is not). The other part is age....that 4 years is gong to catch up to Duchene at some point...he will plateau, and MacK will continue to improve for a few years. Plus MacK has a better overall game....Duchene can be just as good in one dimension, MacK will be much better in the others.

Duchene's my favorite Avs player but I think MacK has already surpassed him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
10 goals in two games with Duchene and Barrie playing like they have is good to see. Hopefully Duchene gets out of fishing/offseason mode soon. Barrie was better last night but still not himself yet.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Something that hasn't gotten much attention here because everyone seems to be focusing more on Duchene, but Varly has been disappointing so far.

Both games now I get nervous whenever the opposing team just enters the zone, not because of our defense which is normally the case, but because there is just that feeling of any shot can go in, which isn't the norm for Varly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not getting nervous or feeling like any shot can go in but I agree that Varly hasn't been at his best to start. Not too worried about him though.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Yeah, I know he will turn it around. He usually has a few slump games in a row, but for some reason to me this one just seems worse than his ones in the past.

But yeah, with Varlamov in net, if the worst thing I'm complaining about is goaltending, then things must be pretty good!

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not too worried about Varly. I agree he's having a rough start, but I'm confident he'll shake off the rust and get back to his normal beast mode form. He's been one of more consistent players over the last few years.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Duchene, Barrie and Varly will get hot at some point later.

Landy, Iggy and Mac will get colder at some point later.

It's just how things work. No point in being worried about someone or overly excited about someones production this early.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
Is it just me or does Mackinnon look significantly bigger than the 183 cm he is supposed to be according to wiki, eliteprospects and nhl.com. Maybe he is just so strong on the puck and so fast but is he not taller than 183 (6'0)?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Duchene, Barrie and Varly will get hot at some point later.

Landy, Iggy and Mac will get colder at some point later.

It's just how things work. No point in being worried about someone or overly excited about someones production this early.

Not worried about some of our best players struggling after two games but I am VERY excited about how MacKinnon looks early on. This is what I was expecting last season. He's going to be special.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Not worried about some of our best players struggling after two games but I am VERY excited about how MacKinnon looks early on. This is what I was expecting last season. He's going to be special.

Me too. Performance is one thing. Production a different thing. Too often we get them mixed up.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Im hoping the way Roy wants to group to play will give Matty more license to use his strength in a more aggressive manner. I think he gets engaged way more if he's doing some hitting, getting hit, and trying to put pucks on net and dig for garbage goals. Cause I think teams got his move down. In both games he's tried to do it and it got snuffed out. Its ok to get grimey Matt

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
very nice beating the stars..
Really nice

My 2 cents worth regarding Dutchy is he is nursing a bad leg,

He does not have the explosive jump that he showed in pre season....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad