GDT: Game 2: Stars @ Avs | October 10th, 7PM MT/4AM Finnish | Salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well now that's more like it. We can all breath a little easier.

So happy Roy went with Landy-MacK-Tangs in game 1, and didn't panic after the loss and kept them together. I've been waiting for them to play together for over a year now. They had one pre-season game together last season and by all accounts had amazing chemistry according to teammates and fans, but Roy for some reason decided to break them up after that and never re-unite them. They are clearly a great trio.

Another thing that's clear is Nathan MacKinnon is never going back to the wing.

Some sloppy moments in this game, even as they were inching back in it, but if we were doubting the mental side of this young team, they had every bit of adversity tonight to overcome, and didn't wilt. Terrible loss in game one, and give up a goal in the first 20 seconds.

It also seems like two of the biggest concerns going into the year, the PP, and scoring in general, seem to be a strength. That's a sigh of relief.

Comeau another outstanding game. That's pretty much all through pre-season and two games in a row. He gets in on the forecheck so quickly and really does a great job gaining possession for his linemates. I didn't realize how hard he hits either, he's a beast out there.

Another outstanding game from the captain, and Iggy with two in two. He might hit 40 if he gets off to a good start, and finishes with his usual strong finish. I've been calling Landy as the point leader this season, and he's off to a good start. He's finally settle into himself as captain, and can just play his game. He's gonna have a monster year.

That 4th line is basically the 3rd line already. They really work well together and it allows Mitchy to handle the puck as much as he wants while McLeod and Skille forecheck. Skille has been outstanding to. Same as Comeau, he's been good since day one of pre-season. He just has so many second and third efforts on his puck battle in the offensive zone, and with his quickness he really creates a lot of chances for his linemates. Cody plays his normal role of forechecking hard and standing in front of the net for screens, tips, and rebounds. Just a great 4th line.

EJ picking up right where he left off last year. Scoring pretty much every game. Beauch has been such a great compliment to his offense. Really puts the puck on his tape with time to let a bomb go.

Thought Mikko looked better as the game went along. He looks like he's finally settling in. Probably a bit overwhelmed with the setting of regular season. Three or four great passes, and some good instincts for when to jump in and help his linemate along the wall. That's what he showed in pre-season, and if Soderberg could just get his head out of his ass, their line might be able to get some good chances too.

Varly had a tough one. I thought he was just fine against Minny but he sounded like he took that loss hard afterwards. Looked pretty shaky all game but battle through it. That's good to see.

Barrie looked a little better to me, and was making some good outlet passes, but early on he was all over the D zone, and in a bad way. I keep seeing him end up trying to block shots at the point, while forwards are covering for him downlow like Parise's goal last night after the Landy hit, and the second Dallas goal tonight from Eakin. Not sure what's going on there.

Weak spots tonight for me were Guenin, Duchene again, Soderberg, a few sketchy shifts from Zads, though he did start to look more comfortable as soon as they took that dead weight Guenin off his pairing. Stuart better be in for Guenin next game, there really is no excuse for him being in the lineup now.

I think I was one of the few that thought Holden played pretty well last game, and I think he did again tonight. Much more aggressive which keeps his head in the game I think, rather than his usual passive approach.

If they're going to keep Zads with Barrie than Stuart needs to replace Guenin with Holden. Only reason Guenin was playing ahead of Stuart was because he had familiarity playing on the left with Barrie. Stuart should be playing 10 times out of 10 ahead of Guenin as Holden's partner on the right side.

Grigo should slot in for Rendulic next game too IMO. This will allow Mikko to shift back to the right side where he may be more comfortable. They can see how he looks at LW later in the season. I'd rather he start where he's been playing the most the last year or so.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well now that's more like it. We can all breath a little easier.

So happy Roy went with Landy-MacK-Tangs in game 1, and didn't panic after the loss and kept them together. I've been waiting for them to play together for over a year now. They had one pre-season game together last season and apparently looked great according to teammates and fans, but Roy for some reason decided to break them up after that and never re-unite them. They are clearly a great trio.

Another thing that's clear is Nathan MacKinnon is never going back to the wing.

Some sloppy moments in this game, even as they were inching back in it, but if we were doubting the mental side of this young team, they had every bit of adversity tonight to overcome, and didn't wilt. Terrible loss in game one, and give up a goal in the first 20 seconds.

It also seems like two of the biggest concerns going into the year, the PP, and scoring in general, seem to be a strength. That's a sigh of relief.

Comeau another outstanding game. That's pretty much all through pre-season and two games in a row. He gets in on the forecheck so quickly and really does a great job gaining possession for his linemates. I didn't realize how hard he hits either, he's a beast out there.

Another outstanding game from the captain, and Iggy with two in two. He might hit 40 if he gets off to a good start, and finishes with his usual strong finish. I've been calling Landy as the point leader this season, and he's off to a good start. He's finally settle into himself as captain, and can just play his game. He's gonna have a monster year.

That 4th line is basically the 3rd line already. They really work well together and it allows Mitchy to handle the puck as much as he wants while McLeod and Skille forecheck. Skille has been outstanding to. Same as Comeau, he's been good since day one of pre-season. He just has so many second and third efforts on his puck battle in the offensive zone, and with his quickness he really creates a lot of chances for his linemates. Cody plays his normal role of forechecking hard and standing in front of the net for screens, tips, and rebounds. Just a great 4th line.

EJ picking up right where he left off last year. Scoring pretty much every game. Beauch has been such a great compliment to his offense. Really puts the puck on his tape with time to let a bomb go.

Thought Mikko looked better as the game went along. He looks like he's finally settling in. Probably a bit overwhelmed with the setting of regular season. Three or four great passes, and some good instincts for when to jump in and help his linemate along the wall. That's what he showed in pre-season, and if Soderberg could just get his head out of his ass, their line might be able to get some good chances too.

Varly had a tough one. I thought he was just fine against Minny but he sounded like he took that loss hard afterwards. Looked pretty shaky all game but battle through it. That's good to see.

Barrie looked a little better to me, and was making some good outlet passes, but early on he was all over the D zone, and in a bad way. I keep seeing him end up trying to block shots at the point, while forwards are covering for him downlow like Parise's goal last night after the Landy hit, and the second Dallas goal tonight from Eakin. Not sure what's going on there.

Weak spots tonight for me were Guenin, Duchene again, Soderberg, a few sketchy shifts from Zads, though he did start to look more comfortable as soon as they took that dead weight Guenin off his pairing. Stuart better be in for Guenin next game, there really is no excuse for him being in the lineup now.

I think I was one of the few that thought Holden played pretty well last game, and I think he did again tonight. Much more aggressive which keeps his head in the game I think, rather than his usual passive approach.

If they're going to keep Zads with Barrie than Stuart needs to replace Guenin with Holden. Only reason Guenin was playing ahead of Stuart was because he had familiarity playing on the left with Barrie. Stuart should be playing 10 times out of 10 ahead of Guenin as Holden's partner on the right side.

Whats the goal streak at now for EJ? In his last 10 games dating back to last season hes gotta be close to a goal per game right?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just got done watching postgame. Rycroft is the best when he's fired up. He put together a compilation of some of the best hits of the night. That's exactly what they are going to have to do, good to see them getting rewarded for playing hard. Tbh it's the afterglow of wins I enjoy the most, being able to carry this happy feeling for four days is my drug.

4 points for Landy, love that he's leading the way. And as someone said it's the guys who "need" to score who for the most part are doing it. The way MacK scored that first one, that's how the best finish their chances. Picking the top corner is nice too but one on one and beat the goalie you have to finish. Great first goal for him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whats the goal streak at now for EJ? In his last 10 games dating back to last season hes gotta be close to a goal per game right?

Yea, I thought he had a bunch before he was shut down for the year too, but after looking he didn't have a goal in his last six. That streak of four games in a row came in late December.

He's looking just as confident in these first two games as he did then though. Great to see after another knee injury, and some missed pre-season games. He had every reason to start the year slow, but just like the other leaders on the team like Landy and Iggy, he's kicked it into OD to make sure the team has a good start.

Really like how the leadership core has started the year. Tanguay too, I thought he worked his ass off tonight, as did Comeau, and Beauch. You can tell Roy has challenged the leadership group on this team to lead the way.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
That Mackinnon/Iginla cross-crease looks like it’s going to be dangerous for the opposing teams (Mack almost feeding him another assist at the end of the 2nd on the PP).

The Beauchemin-Johnson pairing is going to work wonders for us and I liked seeing Barrie playing with Zadorov. Good stuff ! I thought Zadorov was more visible in this game compared to the Wild game.

I have a feeling Mackinnon is going to have a monstrous year. Just as “trip trancid” says, I have a feeling that the Landy/Mack duo is going to be one of the best duo’s in the NHL.

Rantanen made some very good interceptions and some very nice passes. More noticeable than in Game 1.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just got done watching postgame. Rycroft is the best when he's fired up. He put together a compilation of some of the best hits of the night. That's exactly what they are going to have to do, good to see them getting rewarded for playing hard. Tbh it's the afterglow of wins I enjoy the most, being able to carry this happy feeling for four days is my drug.

4 points for Landy, love that he's leading the way. And as someone said it's the guys who "need" to score who for the most part are doing it. The way MacK scored that first one, that's how the best finish their chances. Picking the top corner is nice too but one on one and beat the goalie you have to finish. Great first goal for him.

I really like that Roy has seemingly made a point to get them to start playing more physical, and be harder to play against. That's been missing for almost 15 years now since Hartley was coach.

To me, the best teams always finish their checks as a way to wear down opponents and get them to think about something other than how to score, rather than do a fly by and hope to block passing lanes all the time.

So far that's what the Avs are doing, and I think we saw the results as this game went along with the Avs playing on their toes while the Stars ended up on their heels. Especially the puck over the glass call when the D man knew Comeau was about to hit him hard, because he'd been doing so all night.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just finished watching the game. Not a great performance overall but I'll definitely take the result. Very happy to see them rally after going down 3-1 and come out on top.

MacKinnon looks incredible out there. Landeskog had a great game as well.

Even with all the goals scored and solid offensive play from different guys, my favourite part of the game was probably Zadorov getting pissed at Roussel. First he goes after him when Roussel is shoving Rendulic, then he gives him a shot after the whistle as Varly froze the puck, and finally he rushes in near the end to get a few more shots in on him. Comeau dropping Roussel was great too.

Glad to see Roy put Zadorov and Barrie together and limit his dynamic duo, who were once again pretty awful early on. Now just limit them even more by sticking them in the press box.

Rantanen still needs more ice time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Agree with those saying Rendulic should probably sit. Maybe give Grigorenko a shot there first. If that doesn't work, it's time to bring up the Everbeast and let him play his simple yet effective game along side Soderberg and Rantanen.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015

I guess I should change my name to Someone.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Agree with those saying Rendulic should probably sit. Maybe give Grigorenko a shot there first. If that doesn't work, it's time to bring up the Everbeast and let him play his simple yet effective game along side Soderberg and Rantanen.

At the very least Roy should swap Rantanen and Comeau to spread the youth and give the 3rd line a solid presence, while giving Mikko more minutes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Cliche, McAllister, Koci, Zanon....

Cliche is probably the worst.

Disagree. Cliche was decent defensively. Although ... I think I DO have the general beat ... Francois Leroux!!!!

Well I dunno...Peter Worrell was so bad at skating I can still remember Eric Belanger making fun of him and earning himself an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at Frozen Fury in Vegas. But I always feel like "worst all time" discussions should never include goons, because of course the worst player on the team is the goon.

I do believe Cliche centered the worst 4th line in the league last year, and Guenin was the league's worst d-man last year. Who is worse? Well...I think Cliche possibly since he still managed to stink up the joint horribly despite very sheltered and sparing usage. Guenin was thrust into a top-four role he was and still is horribly suited for, and that made his sucky play look even suckier. And people here know how much I hate Guenin as a player. I have no ill will toward Cliche though. Dude was a waiver wire pickup meant to shore up a terrible PK, which he did. Too bad Winchester's concussion forced Roy to keep him well past his expiration date.

Anyway, back to the game...I'm actually surprised at how much speed Zads has. I knew he had the size, strength, and hands, but didn't realize he had the wheels too. I'm not trying to say he's going to be elite already or anything like that, but his skillset is even more complete than I had realized.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It makes too much sense to put Grigorenko in over Rendulic. Soderberg is getting abused in the Faceoff circle, and Rendulic hasn't looked right. It will also get Rantanen on his natural wing, if they keep the lines the same.

Zadorov and Barrie worked pretty well together. I do wonder if they'll stick together next game or if Roy was just giving it a try. I hope they do stay together and just limit whoever is on the 3rd pairing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The only tough choice is Grigorenko or Everberg. Other than that it's an easy choice between "Golden" and "Stuart Gormley". Rendulic also hasn't quite cut it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That Mackinnon/Iginla cross-crease looks like it’s going to be dangerous for the opposing teams (Mack almost feeding him another assist at the end of the 2nd on the PP).

The Beauchemin-Johnson pairing is going to work wonders for us and I liked seeing Barrie playing with Zadorov. Good stuff ! I thought Zadorov was more visible in this game compared to the Wild game.

I have a feeling Mackinnon is going to have a monstrous year. Just as “trip trancid” says, I have a feeling that the Landy/Mack duo is going to be one of the best duo’s in the NHL.

Rantanen made some very good interceptions and some very nice passes. More noticeable than in Game 1.

Yea they have that play on lock already you can tell. All Nate needs is a split second where that pass is about a foot open, because he fires the puck across the ice with the quickness, and right on the tape. Iggy meanwhile doesn't fumble it, or miss it, he hammers it in stride like Brett Hull.

With Nate's quick first two steps he's gonna create a passing lane all by himself taking that puck from up high at the blueline to the half wall, and break down the PK box. It's a great play for the two of them.

Also creates that second option that seems almost as dangerous, where Nate just takes the shot himself from the top of the circle instead of passing to Iggy. He's almost scored twice on that.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
71rdd4.png

****. Yes.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm happy for the team and for the Colorado fans on hfboards.com, we needed this. ;-)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm happy for the team and for the Colorado fans on hfboards.com, we needed this. ;-)

Ain't that the truth. I'm glad I was too busy to post much after game 1, but from reading everyone else, I think we collectively almost gave up. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad