GDT: Game #2 Sharks vs Ducks - 7:30 PM PDT CSN-CA

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
comparing Neito to Kennedy is wrong. They're nothing alike. Kennedy is more like a Seto or Brown - shoot from the goal line with no regard to make a play for a better shooting angle.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Nieto is not a scorer. Never has been. Never in college. Never in the minors. Never in the NHL. Never scored 20 goals at any level.

He will be someone the Sharks will looks to move or let leave given that there are more talented players in the system.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It is humorous how comparisons to Kennedy are derided. Kennedy has had a pretty good career. Nieto would be fortunate to follow that path.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Seems like were just looking for someone to dump on since old fart scored a couple of goals. Nieto isn't a goalscorer, but isn't a liability on the ice at all and has had more chances for than against. He's been fine. If they can trade him, though, I wouldn't be upset.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Nieto is not a scorer. Never has been. Never in college. Never in the minors. Never in the NHL. Never scored 20 goals at any level.

He will be someone the Sharks will looks to move or let leave given that there are more talented players in the system.

This.

He seems to be a player that gets a lot of his praise around here because of his story. Hope he proves me wrong.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Seems like were just looking for someone to dump on since old fart scored a couple of goals. Nieto isn't a goalscorer, but isn't a liability on the ice at all and has had more chances for than against. He's been fine. If they can trade him, though, I wouldn't be upset.

Except this dumping on him has been going on for a full season and now the start of season 2.

He is not a player that you look at and say oh crap we need to get him off the team now. He is a player though that you look at and ask how can we make him fit into the team.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's only 2 games in and he's played fine. He seems to fit fine on his line. He's hasn't hit pay dirt, but he's had chances and I can't recall him having many if any chances against his line.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Nieto needs to work on his shot. He's too slow to get it off, and when he rushes it, he doesn't have the puck settled and it just flutters aimlessly.

He actually has a solid shot when he can get it off. He should watch videos of Kessel all day and night.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Well I've said my piece. I'm not dumping on him. But imo if he's not scoring we should look to move him (if we look like we can make a real run).

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Lol, I can't believe the Nieto hate. He was one of our best players on the ice last night and had 2 great scoring opportunities.

I'm not even gonna bother arguing, though, after half the season when his luck goes back to normal you will all be talking about how lucky we are to have such an elite 3rd liner.

LOL @ Smith over Nieto. Just lol.

Yea I don't understand it either. I thought he played very well and created opportunities where nothing was available simply with his speed. He may never be a 30 goal scorer but he is an impactful player. Results will follow.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think it'd be a total mistake to move Nieto this year. He's an incredibly useful role player that pushes the pace. I'm generally more down on Wingels honestly.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think it'd be a total mistake to move Nieto this year. He's an incredibly useful role player that pushes the pace. I'm generally more down on Wingels honestly.

Wingels would be great on the 4th line, I don't really like him on any line above that. I don't understand why he's on the 2nd powerplay unit with Ward, that seems redundant. Plus he's an offensive black hole.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wingels would be great on the 4th line, I don't really like him on any line above that. I don't understand why he's on the 2nd powerplay unit with Ward, that seems redundant. Plus he's an offensive black hole.

I thought he was becoming a clean version of Raffi Torres last year with his hot start and general physicality and forechecking but that fizzled out pretty hard by the halfway mark.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

This is where i agree. I think our depth is a little overrated at this point. It's not so good that we can afford to move him. Maybe next year it's a different story.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
He need's a new stick...

:sarcasm:

edit: Don't trade him. Every time I trade him in EHM, be becomes a 70pt scorer afterwards, so I guess we're stuck waiting for that to happen

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nieto needs to work on his upper body strength. Too often good scoring chances are halted because a stick check from the opponent makes his shot very weak on net.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Two games in, yeah yeah; but that 3rd period play while holding leads is already reigning superior to what we saw last season.

chart.0.jpeg

chart__1_.0.jpeg

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Cool charts, but the fact that the Sharks color isn't consistent between them (they switch from blue to black) is totally driving my mild OCD into overdrive

;)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This is where i agree. I think our depth is a little overrated at this point. It's not so good that we can afford to move him. Maybe next year it's a different story.

Personally I think guys like Nieto and Wingels and Karlsson are pretty safe this year. Next year might be different with Goldobin and Meier gunning for roster spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad