GDT: Game #2 Sharks vs Ducks - 7:30 PM PDT CSN-CA

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Just following the Sharks now with Deboer as coach.

You are all remarking about the Sharks intensity has heavily increased. That will occur all season. This team is a cup contender with Deboer at the helm, I have no doubt. Deboer took a pretty good team (not elite, just good) in 2012 to the cup finals.

The Sharks are more talented than that Devils team, you guys have a good opportunity for the cup. I know it's early, but Deboer's system is perfect for this type of a team. It's what the Sharks have been missing for a long time.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
Time to bring back Burish. Trade Hertl or Mueller for him even if he is FA.

tumblr_n2a69fqK991t0uurro2_r1_500.gif

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah last year sucked. But last year the team was 2-0 after 2 games too with a better goal differential. Lets wait for a little bigger sample size before planning Cup runs.
I believe most of us are more excited about the style of play/construction of the team than simply the results.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Burish and his agent were right... Now that he is off the Sharks, he is getting the minutes he deserved in the NHL.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
So many things going right for the Sharks. Last year felt like a hangover the entire year.... and really it was for me, a lot of other fans and the team. While I liked TMac, it was obvious someone else needed to speak. PeterD might be a good coach, but circumstances have played out were the team was ready for anyone.

I predicted Marleau would have a rebound year. He has consistently had bad years before a coach change. I don't know if that is a cause or a symptom at this point, but he found his wheels again last night and played a 2-way game again. Good for him! (Good article on his play last night: Link)

Team looks reborn and as fast as I've ever seen them play. Impressive win defensively taking away space for the whole 60 minutes. I don't know if they played a 60 minute game last year. I definitely know they didn't play that kind of tight defense last year.

I've never been comfortable with any Sharks goalie except Irbe for one season. All the others you had a sense they would let in one soft goal a game. Nabby made big saves, but he was never a Kiprusoff.... a guy who could get hot an carry a team. Until Jones (short sample I know), Belfour was probably our best goalie (.... where's the mouthwash.)

I'm not ready to anoint Jones the next Patrick Roy, but he's pretty impressive thus far!

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I only have 2 wishes this year: Sharks go deep in the playoffs, Kings end up being the 1st pick in the draft.... And Carolina selects Mathews.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I may be one of few, but I thought Nieto had a good game.

His speed got into to some great scoring opportunities. But he definitely needs to get the puck in net (though given Anderson was playing great yesterday).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

His speed got into to some great scoring opportunities. But he definitely needs to get the puck in net (though given Anderson was playing great yesterday).

Nieto hasn't been able to score against nhl starters, nhl back ups, ahl starters or any goalies for that matter. The guy is the perfect 4th line defensive forward and nothing more.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

Yeah don't get me wrong - I like him. I just see him as a 4th liner because you need to have someone with Hertl who can finish. The only problem I have with Nieto on the 4th is his bad physical play and being weak on the puck. I can see him being trade bait tbh.

Ultimately he needs to develop that scoring touch. Otherwise it's hard for me to pinpoint where he belongs on this team.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
nieto without scoring isnt a 4th liner. hes an AHLer at that point. hes too small to play if hes not going to score and defensive prowess isnt enough alone.

ward is pretty much cementing his spot for better or worse, so we may see nieto scratched for goldobin at some point.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
nieto without scoring isnt a 4th liner. hes an AHLer at that point. hes too small to play if hes not going to score and defensive prowess isnt enough alone.

ward is pretty much cementing his spot for better or worse, so we may see nieto scratched for goldobin at some point.

Nieto is excellent defensively.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back

Will be interesting to see whom gets the bump when Karlsson ready to step in. Karlsson and Goldobin will make for some pressures to perform. Which is a very good thing to say the least.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Smith should be playing over Brown. Smith knows he's better than him and he's probably not happy.

I know it's only two games, but unless they're showcasing Brown why play him both nights?

The only explanation I have is that it's the Kings and Ducks.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Smith should be playing over Brown. Smith knows he's better than him and he's probably not happy.

I know it's only two games, but unless they're showcasing Brown why play him both nights?

The only explanation I have is that it's the Kings and Ducks.

First, let me say I completely agree Smith should be playing over Brown.

Second, it is not uncommon for coaches to play a goon against physical teams such as the Ducks, Kings, Blues, Flames, etc.

Third, I think between Dillon and Wingels, there is enough toughness. We are not built to be a bruiser team, but a fast, skilled team.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I'm just happy we have so many players in the depth chart not only to compete for spots, but also to fill in later in case of injury. Nobody really with top-level skill, but it's still a way better scenario than years past where our best call up was Ferriero.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Nieto is excellent defensively.

Where did I say he wasn't? Just said its not enough by itself to warrant a 4th line spot. Imo if we want to roll 4 lines that is. I guess he seemingly helps drive possession but I'm starting to think he is suffering from Kennedy syndrome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad