GDT: Game 2: Seattle Kraken(0-0-1) @ LA Kings(0-1-0) - 7:30 p.m. PT / 10:30 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Another power play.
Just don't do something stupid, try to create something and, at the very least, get those two minutes off the clock.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's pretty clear that we have more weapons this year that other teams must pay attention to. More teeth to worry about.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They didn't have a ton of energy on the back to back but it says something about the upgraded talent of this team that they still got it done. And Jones was better than Quick.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And just like that we leave southern California with three points against divsiion rivals, which was a huge problem last year.

Also, it seems both of those teams are potential rivals for the future with the stuff after the game going a bit off the rails. :laugh:

This may be the most complete game I have seen our team play in its young history. Solid game overall.

Yeah, it was a solid, structured game from start to finish against a pretty good team.
Jones also had a very good game and looked very calm throughout, which helps the team.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
And just like that we leave southern California with three points against divsiion rivals, which was a huge problem last year.

Also, it seems both of those teams are potential rivals for the future with the stuff after the game going a bit off the rails. :laugh:

Yeah, it was a solid, structured game from start to finish against a pretty good team.
Jones also had a very good game and looked very calm throughout, which helps the team.
A great win. 4 goals and a great performance in the net by Jones.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Solid win, and great to see the team upping their physicality

Jones was good and very calm. Grubauer makes great saves, but when he does, he often makes it look extremely difficult, which does not have the same effect as your goalie making everything look easy.

I think Driedger was a more steady net presence last year, and the team seemed to be calmer in front of him too.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Something I really liked last night was Will Borgen’s game. He really looked every bit the NHL player out there. If he plays like that all season, the Kraken will be tough to beat.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Something I really liked last night was Will Borgen’s game. He really looked every bit the NHL player out there. If he plays like that all season, the Kraken will be tough to beat.
Loved Borgen's game last night. He handled McDavid relatively well in the final preseason game too FWIW. Consistent and physical 3rd pairing defensemen are hard to come by - hope this continues.

Reactions: The Marquis

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Loved the game last night! This could be a fun year.

Also: happy one-year anniversary to the franchise's first victory.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Loved Borgen's game last night. He handled McDavid relatively well in the final preseason game too FWIW. Consistent and physical 3rd pairing defensemen are hard to come by - hope this continues.
Yeah. I do like the way Borgen has played early this season (and pre-season). One of the big issues with him is taking ill-timed penalties but that seems like an epidemic on our team, so there is that.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Borgen is looking solid overall but he is a step behind at times and thus takes some dumb penalties. Still, for a third pairing guy he's been pretty good and he stands up physically and will scrap so he's valuable for sure.

Solid win. Jones better than expected (my bar was low with him). Bjorkstrand and Berekovsky have really elevated the offense (along with Beniers of course). This is a much better team than last year. How much better remains to be seen.

My only real complaint is the PP. Who on earth though 2 guys behind the goal line with a 5 on 3 was a good plan? That was ridiculously bad. Wasted opportunity. We need net front presence in there. But aside from that, good game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My only real complaint is the PP. Who on earth though 2 guys behind the goal line with a 5 on 3 was a good plan? That was ridiculously bad. Wasted opportunity. We need net front presence in there. But aside from that, good game.

I don't really know if I like that 5 on 3 setup but FWIW it is very common in a 5 on 3.

It's frustrating because it's not a scenario that has practice time devoted to it, so the golden opportunity often looks like a mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad