Post-Game Talk: Game #2: Rangers @ Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Would you say in football it's important to "Establish the run" like all coaches/announcers tell you?

You can either establish the run or establish the pass. One of the two will force the defense's hand. In this day and age, you hear establish the pass more than establish the run.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You can either establish the run or establish the pass. One of the two will force the defense's hand. In this day and age, you hear establish the pass more than establish the run.

Yet teams mix their strategy completely wrong. You want your yards per attempt while running to equal your yards per pass attempt in order to be unexploitable. Since no teams do this defenses can solely focus on defending the pass (YPA always > YPC) and it will be a correct strategy until a team makes an adjustment. This is obviously only applicable in close game situations not near the ends of halves where time effects are a factor.

And additionally all 2 point conversion opportunities and 4th down opportunities team pass on because it's "too early" despite EPA/WPA proving that completely wrong.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yet teams mix their strategy completely wrong. You want your yards per attempt while running to equal your yards per pass attempt in order to be unexploitable. Since no teams do this defenses can solely focus on defending the pass (YPA always > YPC) and it will be a correct strategy until a team makes an adjustment. This is obviously only applicable in close game situations not near the ends of halves where time effects are a factor.

The problem with looking at it like that is you fail to look at what the defensive schemes become. Establishing the pass generally takes a LB off the field (or even a defensive lineman). Establishing the run generally leaves you with man coverage every play and a safety in the box.

You're not getting them to focus solely on one aspect. You are getting them to push their focus to one aspect as much as possible.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Just one game though, only game 2.

Brassard really needs to pull his head out of his ****ing ass. This isn't new. He didn't look great in preseason either.

Really nice to see Duke get on the scoresheet.

I'm assuming Miller played bad from the reactions here, I guess I'm in the minority but I want to give him time. This is his spot now. We have no other choice. We have to deal with growing pains, better now than when we are in the playoff push.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The problem with looking at it like that is you fail to look at what the defensive schemes become. Establishing the pass generally takes a LB off the field (or even a defensive lineman). Establishing the run generally leaves you with man coverage every play and a safety in the box.

You're not getting them to focus solely on one aspect. You are getting them to push their focus to one aspect as much as possible.

But teams have been using the same/similar strategies for a while yet ypc typically hovers around 4.0 and ypa is typically in the low 6's. This makes it so your expected value from any given passing play is always higher than a running play so other than situations where you want to run out the clock there's no point to run until you force the defense to make an adjustment. Once YPA=YPC then you will be indifferent between running and passing and the defense will not be able to cheat or make an educated guess on what type of play you will be running.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought Miller played really well, overall. Hard on the puck, caused some turnovers, made some good defensive plays.

He certainly wasn't worse than Brad Richards had become.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I thought Miller played really well, overall. Hard on the puck, caused some turnovers, made some good defensive plays.

I thought he got stronger as the game went along but he didn't have a great game. But it's only 2 games and we've played two good teams. He should get better.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm assuming Miller played bad from the reactions here, I guess I'm in the minority but I want to give him time. This is his spot now. We have no other choice. We have to deal with growing pains, better now than when we are in the playoff push.

His line was the best line. He was much better than the poster's reaction there. AV thought so too since AV doubled Miller's icetime in the 3rd when compared to the 1st 2 periods.

Miller flubbed two passes and a bandwagon of frenzy took place, while Brassard shat the entire game, Hagelin was made to be useless and Zucc took a beating.

Zucc himself said their line was bad, not just tonight either, but after the game.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I ****ing hate this groupthink mentality that HF has adopted.

Let me know when Miller is capable of 50 points and QBing our power play.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

HFBoards' trademark is groupthink. Where have you been? :laugh:

I think the last sentence is an oversimplication. He got 50 points, but he provided nothing else, ran out when it mattered the most, and became a flat out liability late in the year. "Certainly can't be worse than Richards" is an exaggeration for sure. But he plays a game that Richards didn't, hell, a game NONE of our centers play. And he has upside. I'd certainly rather him now to Brad Richards.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Miller our best possession forward tonight (followed by Duclair and Stempniak). Zuccarello -4.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Miller was good.

Brassard is hardly noticeable. Hoping he's just off to a slow start.

Glass less noticeable tonight

Kreider is a beast

Hags needs to be moved off brassards line...

Stepanstones*

Players are paid to play the game. Not to analyze the game.[/QUOTE]

Analysis all you want bud, but without teammates sticking up for other teammates an getting eachothers back you don't win Championships it's a brotherhood and you show your brother you got his back end of story.

Whiskers*

Derek Stepan please help

We are spending way to much time in our end and we are not making anything happen in the offensive zone. I hope he comes back and rips it up.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
How Miller is getting the brunt of this is kind of bizarre.

Outside of stretch passes from Staal and McDonagh, there is no sweet sync'ng between out defense and our offense. Our transition game is looking so old school. Chip to the forwards and hope they get a clean offensive zone entry. Looks exactly like the start we had last year. I have a feeling everything listed above is a result of this.

Brassard, Zuccarello, Hagelin line doesn't look good at all. Zuccarello had his best shifts away from them with Stempniak and Moore. Which leads me to...

...someone please wake up Brassard. It's such an obvious given for him: when he plays on the perimeter he's completely ineffective.

The NYR right now are a one line team, until they can break up Nash, Kreider, St. Louis, and get on of them on a different line, hopefully adding a scoring touch somewhere.

This experiment of St. Louis at center needs to stop. It's too much scoring talent on one line, when we need it elsewhere as well, and we can't afford to start without possession 3 of 4 faceoffs that they take.

The forwards are having a hard time finding and picking up their man in the offensive zone. Two games in a row with opponents getting too many shots from the ******* slot. Lundqvist made up for that nonsense, Talbot didn't.

D. Moore was really quiet this game. No heady plays that made me take notice.

Talbot has continued his mediocre play from preseason into his first game.

Glass was the sole cause of his line losing possession almost every shift they had the puck through the first two periods. Watching that was absolutely insane.

The Good:

Staal looked good. He's been way more involved in the play compared to last year. His pinches have been smart, and he's helped extend possession on a few occasions in both games. His skating looks really good.

Kreider is playing like a bull in a china shop. North/South, speed, shoot first. He looks primed to have a good season.

Nash is scoring.

St. Louis has good legs, and is creating offense.

J. Moore and Klein have been solid as 3rd pairing guys.

Stempniak is noticable at least every other shift for good stuff.

McDonagh is making some really smooth plays but his pairing has been wonky through 2 games. I don't know what it is, just out of sync.

The Duke has great instincts and great tools. Let's see if the hockey IQ is there to blow his instincts and skill set through the roof.

Wolfy*

According to media they think teams are going after Zucc because he was our lead scorer last season, and they're trying to neutralize him. If that's the case he has a problem.

They also say the Rangers are simply too soft, something is wrong when top 6 players like Kreider and Zucc have to fight. Instead they should be protected by bottom line players who can handle the necessary police job.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I ****ing hate this tendency to react only viscerally and not think about what someone might have meant that seems to be the norm around here. For one thing, you've been on here long enough to know that I'm anything but a participant in groupthink. For another, read what I wrote.

What Richards became was a liability at even strength. That's not how he started the year last year, but it's where he was much of the time down the stretch and in the playoffs. In the final 45 games of last year, playoffs and regular season after the Olympics, Richards had 21 points. That's a 38 point pace. Only 12 points at even strength over that stretch... that's a 22 point pace at even strength. Richards just faltered at the end of the year. I'm not even criticizing him. Just saying that Miller is already making better things happen. They need to translate into points, sometime, but right now I'm happy with what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad