Post-Game Talk: Game #2: Rangers @ Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This experiment of St. Louis at center needs to stop. It's too much scoring talent on one line, when we need it elsewhere as well, and we can't afford to start without possession 3 of 4 faceoffs that they take.

I think the bigger problem with MSL at center right now isn't about a top heavy team and isn't about how many faceoffs he loses.

At the moment, he's still trying to figure out what he's supposed to be doing in the defensive zone as the center. That's led to multiple extended shifts where the Rangers all look like they're running around back there, including one shift tonight where the Blue Jackets 4th line kept them pinned for a good 30-35 seconds. For a line with that much talent on it, those shifts are particularly brutal, because... well, because possession.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think the problem is that MSL is centering, I think the problem is that he's centering Kreider and Nash. Our 3 best forwards are all on one line.

NYRCSKA*

Brassard seems to blossom later in the season every year. I'm fine with him ******** his pants now if he performs in the playoffs like he has in the past. Not worried about him.
MSL needs to stay on the wing.
I want Malone on the fourth line instead of Fast.
Bring in McIlrath, this would be excellent for his development, even if he sucks, the season is young so it doesn't matter as much. Much better asset management than Hunwick.
Bring in Lombardi to motivate Hayes

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Duke should really be playing opposite Nash. Those two have great chemistry and make something happen every time they are paired together.

NYRCSKA*

Also, I love what Kreider did. That's how you make a statement to not screw with his teammates. Nobody hate Bryan Berrard for jumping Roenick. Good work Kreider. I wish Malone was there to do that.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I didn't get to see all that much of the game, but that was a nice play by Duc before getting the puck back to Nash.

I can live with a 1-1 start, but I wish they had shown a bit more tonight. We could definitely use Step back. The parts of the game I did see didn't look so hot.

But, to be fair, I'm not that shocked. We're out a top-4 d-man and our #1C (who also happens to be one of our best defensive forwards). Talbot was the unfortunate victim of some mistakes (committed by both the team and himself). What can you do, though?

The season is young. It'll get sorted.

Onward!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also, I love what Kreider did. That's how you make a statement to not screw with his teammates. Nobody hate Bryan Berrard for jumping Roenick. Good work Kreider. I wish Malone was there to do that.

I'm less impressed. If it were a dirty hit. Or even a borderline dirty hit. Kreider put the game at risk by reacting to something that didn't happen. I'd prefer players to be smarter about picking their spots. Like the sentiment, don't like the timing.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Not shocking.

I take it you also wouldn't be shocked that Klein had the best corsi of any defenseman on the team tonight. And was tied for second best dman in the STL game. Cuz 1-game corsi samples are useful.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Also, 100 % ok with what Kreider did. Always better - in my mind - to have teammates who stick up for each other than teammates who just watch guys get mauled. I could see how Kreider thought the hit was an intentional cheap shot - at speed, it certainly looked that way. Would even venture to say it's possible it was on purpose -- I've seen plenty of guys pull the "oh didn't see him there" crap when its clear they knew perfectly well what they were doing. Not saying Skille did that, but if there is enough of a question, I'm fine with a guy on the team making an opposing player answer the bell.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I take it you also wouldn't be shocked that Klein had the best corsi of any defenseman on the team tonight. And was tied for second best dman in the STL game. Cuz 1-game corsi samples are useful.
I didn't say Miller was our best forward in general, was just pointing out that while he was on the ice, our team had a great shots for/against ratio. Corsi isn't the be-all-end-all, and neither is the eye test, but at least one is quantifiable and unbiased.

Last edited:

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Duclair MSL Nash
Kreider Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes Stempniak
Glass Moore Fast

I don't think miller has been terrible but you have to give hayes a look before sending him down

I agree. Don´t seem like Hagelin fits very well with Brass and Zucc. If AV don´t want to break up the line with Kreider, MSL and Nash, Put Duke with Brass and Zucc and see how it goes. As of now that line is garbage.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I didn't say Miller was our best forward in general, was just pointing out that while he was on the ice, our team had a great shots for/against ratio. Corsi isn't the be-all-end-all, and neither is the eye test, but at least one is quantifiable and unbiased.

Yea, I was being a pain in the butt toward Ail - carrying over the Klein discussion from a different thread. Don't care if you point corsi out, just when it's used blindly to fit an agenda.

Also, according to the tool I use to grab game-by-game corsi stats, Miller (and his linemates) had an insane offensive zone start % in both games. So much so that I'm wondering if it is messed up... but if not, according to the tool, Miller had 100 % offensive zone starts in the STL game and 60 % against CBJ. That's pretty high, and I would guess would skew that corsi just a little bit, eh? Also makes sense - AV is not going to give a line with two rookies on it a ton of defensive zone starts, especially when one of those rookies is "Just Turnovers." ;)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yea, I was being a pain in the butt toward Ail - carrying over the Klein discussion from a different thread. Don't care if you point corsi out, just when it's used blindly to fit an agenda.

Also, according to the tool I use to grab game-by-game corsi stats, Miller (and his linemates) had an insane offensive zone start % in both games. So much so that I'm wondering if it is messed up... but if not, according to the tool, Miller had 100 % offensive zone starts in the STL game and 60 % against CBJ. That's pretty high, and I would guess would skew that corsi just a little bit, eh? Also makes sense - AV is not going to give a line with two rookies on it a ton of defensive zone starts, especially when one of those rookies is "Just Turnovers". ;)
No, you're completely right. They're our new 3rd line, so they're going to be getting the easiest match-ups of the scoring lines; Even considering that, comments like "He sucked" are grossly exaggerated, and those are what I'm really addressing.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
No, you're completely right. They're our new 3rd line, so they're going to be getting the easiest match-ups of the scoring lines; Even considering that, comments like "He sucked" are grossly exaggerated, and those are what I'm really addressing.

Sure. Agreed. I don't think he sucks. I think he has been underwhelming and a bit disappointing. And while it hurts me to say it, so far I'm not even sure he has been a replacement for Richards.

But it has also only been 2 games, so we shall see. Here's to hoping he figures it out this year.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I don't think the problem is that MSL is centering, I think the problem is that he's centering Kreider and Nash. Our 3 best forwards are all on one line.

I dunno, I've played wing for quite some time and to all of a sudden get put to center - you get what happens in our zone tonight when Marty was out there.

Center is a different beast than wing, no matter how long you played the game primarily at one position.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of talks about lines, but make no misstake, the part of our team that struggled tonight was our blueline that whiffed when pressured.

Someone above said that our transition game was old school and only circled around shipping the puck out. Ehh no, but that's how we played tonight and that was the problem. Way to many low quality plays from our Ds...

Also, AV keeps playing left handed Ds as right Ds. It is NOT working. Nobody is playing up to any kind of standard, it looks like crap. When a team like CBJ ships the puck in along the board, we wan Hunwick to turn the back to the ice and collect the puck with his backhand, then turn up ice, then make a play. There is NO time for that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Glad I didn't watch this game. I knew Talbot was going to come back down to earth. I remember when all of you wanted him to replace hank.. What a disaster that would have been.

The thing is, I think our back-ups play way too few games to be game ready. I mean, wasn't this Talbots first full game of the year ? Or second. I think that is pretty remarkable.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
We are not going to last if guys like Zuccarello and Kreider are the ones taking fighting majors
That is for sure
Our number 10 pick needs to be brought up and thrown into the fire. He can get sheltered third pairing minutes and add an element we need while learning to play in the big boys club

Go with

Duclair St.Louis Nash
Kreids Brass Zucc
Hags Hayes/Miller Stemp
Malone Moore Fast/Glass

For now

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

BztXf1MIQAA8_qH.jpg:large

…..Kreider come off the bench?

thenumbersdonotlie*

"I want Malone on the fourth line instead of Fast"

Why? When Glass is one of the most useless, low IQ hockey players I've ever seen. Malone is slow. The fourth line should be

Fast-Moore-Hayes.

Let McIlrath take the 6th defenseman spot and police the game when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad