Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Pens vs. Sens (Friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Great now you're on our board too. This team isn't winning **** unless Fleury rebounds and plays like he did in 09.

Why can't vokoun do it again? Why do people think this is some run of the mill backup that is going to implode at any minute.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
What the...

It’s easy to forget that Crosby can mix it up physically. Teammate Matt Niskanen remembers having a fight with Crosby three years ago when Niskanen was a member of the Dallas Stars.

Niskanen was astonished by The Kid’s strength.

“He rag-dolled me pretty good,” Niskanen said. “Threw me around like I was a little kid.”

When he first joined the Stars in 2007 as a rookie, the Finn said little, and people thought it was because he didn’t know English.

“I sat in my stall and kept my mouth shut for the first four months,” he says.

The Pittsburgh defenceman has more to say now. He entertained reporters for about 20 minutes after the Penguins optional skate Wednesday.

Matt Niskanen is from Minnesota. :help:

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/powerhouse-pens-a-work-in-progress

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Heard Grover on the X today. He's totally baffled why they're putting 14 back with 87, pointing out that 14 and 71 combined for a goal in Game 1. So it's not just us dumb internet fans saying it.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Heard Grover on the X today. He's totally baffled why they're putting 14 back with 87, pointing out that 14 and 71 combined for a goal in Game 1. So it's not just us dumb internet fans saying it.

Eh...I heard the same interview. He said he thought it was curious but he also said that he's sure there's a reason for it and that DB has forgotten more about NHL coaching in the past week than Grove has ever known. And he said that lines switch up so frequently during the game that he doesn't particularly concern himself with what the lines at practice are.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Eh...I heard the same interview. He said he thought it was curious but he also said that he's sure there's a reason for it and that DB has forgotten more about NHL coaching in the past week than Grove has ever known. And he said that lines switch up so frequently during the game that he doesn't particularly concern himself with what the lines at practice are.

Yeah he was very diplomatic but you could tell he didn't agree with the move. He says "I'm sure DB has his thinking." Subtext: "I have no idea what the hell that thinking could be."

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah he was very diplomatic but you could tell he didn't agree with the move. He says "I'm sure DB has his thinking." Subtext: "I have no idea what the hell that thinking could be."

That's really not the impression that I got at all, but it's not uncommon for people to take different things away from the same interview.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Funny article in the Trib today. It was about how all the line juggling and never having a consistent D pairing is actually a really good thing (in the minds of the coaching staff). It keeps the other team guessing! They can change lines around to respond to any possible matchup! Etc. Funny the article said nothing about getting used to line mates' tendencies. Whatever.

The takeaway is that the coaching staff seems to think that changing the lines every shift is a really good strategy. I'm just trying to save all of us hours of time by pointing out that speculating about lines will likely be a completely useless endeavour. As if you all didn't already know that... ;)

I can't post it because I'm on my phone, but the title is "Penguin's depth allows for fine-tuned, strategic lineups in playoffs". So, be aware that when Crosby centers a line of, say, Adams and Glass, it is actually a fine-tuned, strategic line that we mere mortals simply cannot comprehend.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Funny article in the Trib today. It was about how all the line juggling and never having a consistent D pairing is actually a really good thing (in the minds of the coaching staff). It keeps the other team guessing! They can change lines around to respond to any possible matchup! Etc. Funny the article said nothing about getting used to line mates' tendencies. Whatever.

The takeaway is that the coaching staff seems to think that changing the lines every shift is a really good strategy. I'm just trying to save all of us hours of time by pointing out that speculating about lines will likely be a completely useless endeavour. As if you all didn't already know that... ;)

I can't post it because I'm on my phone, but the title is "Penguin's depth allows for fine-tuned, strategic lineups in playoffs". So, be aware that when Crosby centers a line of, say, Adams and Glass, it is actually a fine-tuned, strategic line that we mere mortals simply cannot comprehend.

It is a terrible fluff piece. Yohe is actually better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad