Penguins: (Sorry, no gold jerseys :()

f2860f3bc4049f1bb20ad659e91c1b97.png

579b08e6ce65ea3d1bad43b3749cedab.png

8924d9e30923e4a4b787bafda80a7880.png

Rangers:

1341a6aa7870d76731ba3cd25856c70e.png

83b9c7db799872d8c2f3894894d1617c.png

31c282831333328bb95c426746ebeb81.png

Currently no confirmed goaltenders for either side.

Stats:

35c99018c073b45ea5a53b971a1e2203.png

9e6fc4639f0fcdaf78124f0d02d647a3.png

a573f41964efd03f8c14ec9f95fb8e95.png

Unfortunately cannot embed the game recap thanks to the dumb new nhl website. You can find it at this link: https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/recap-nyr-2-pit-5/t-277443734/c-43489803

Preview: (Per nhl.com)

After days of analyzing the Pittsburgh Penguins' goaltending situation, a bulk of the attention has now turned toward the New York Rangers' crease.

The Penguins starting goaltender for Game 2 on Saturday remains unknown, but a 5-2 win secured by Jeff Zatkoff on Wednesday has helped alleviate some pressure. New York, on the other hand, will enter Saturday having lost to Pittsburgh's third-string goaltender and with its own instability in net.

Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will be a game-time decision Saturday after leaving Game 1 following the first period after sustaining an eye injury.

A day after New York coach Alain Vigneault said Lundqvist needed to practice Friday in order to play Saturday, Lundqvist did just that. He was a full participant in the Rangers' Friday practice at Consol Energy Center. "I'm just very happy," said Lundqvist, who had some swelling around his eye. "I feel lucky that nothing bad happened [to his eye]."

With 48.2 seconds remaining in the first on Wednesday, New York defenseman Marc Staal inadvertently poked Lundqvist in the eye with his stick blade. After dropping to the ice for a few minutes and skating to the bench, Lundqvist returned to the crease and surrendered the opening goal to Patric Hornqvist 17.6 seconds before the intermission.

"I feel for him," Zatkoff said. "And I hope that it's nothing serious and that it was maybe just something short-term."

Goalie Antti Raanta replaced Lundqvist and allowed three further goals in a frustrating Game 1 loss for the Rangers.

New York controlled much of the first period, but couldn't crack Zatkoff, who stopped each of the 12 shots he faced in the period. Hornqvist's late goal gave Pittsburgh a spark it carried into the second period and to a 1-0 series lead.

The Rangers are in danger of dropping two games behind early in this series, facing a situation similar to the Penguins a few days ago.

"[Lundqvist is] our leader," Rangers forward J.T. Miller said. "We need him to be healthy … It was a scary moment. You definitely don't want to see that."

Rangers team scope: Lundqvist has started 111 consecutive Stanley Cup Playoffs games for New York dating back to April 26, 2006, against the New Jersey Devils. His 112 playoff appearances with the Rangers are tied for the fifth most by a goalie with one franchise in NHL history, behind Martin Brodeur with the Devils (205), Patrick Roy with the Colorado Avalanche (133), Billy Smith with the New York Islanders (132) and Roy with the Montreal Canadiens (114). Defenseman Dan Girardi, who did not practice Friday, will not play after sustaining an undisclosed injury in Game 1. Defenseman Dylan McIlrath could make his playoffs debut after playing 34 games in his third NHL season. McIlrath was paired with defenseman Keith Yandle in practice Friday.

Penguins team scope: Injured forwards Evgeni Malkin (upper body) and Bryan Rust (lower body) each practiced Friday and skated on the same line. Malkin participated in a full-team practice for the first time since sustaining his injury March 11, which was expected to have him miss six to eight weeks. Friday marked the end of the fifth week since his time of injury. Center Nick Bonino remained between left wing Carl Hagelin and right wing Phil Kessel, Malkin's former linemates, during practice. Left wing Conor Sheary joined Malkin and Rust. Malkin also worked on Pittsburgh's top power-play unit with Sidney Crosby, Patric Hornqvist, Kris Letang and Kessel. Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury skated for a fifth time this week, including during the morning skate on Wednesday, but did not update his status. Malkin, Fleury, Rust, forward Beau Bennett and goalie Matthew Murray each remain day-to-day, Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. Before making his Stanley Cup Playoffs debut on Wednesday, Zatkoff received a text message from Fleury on Tuesday night, informing him he would start Game 1. Zatkoff said he would welcome a similar text to let him know whether he will play Saturday, but will be prepared to start regardless. "We'll see if we hear anything or what happens," Zatkoff said. "But if not, I'm just going to prepare like I'm playing and kind of have that same mindset, incase the team needs me to go and I can get the job done."

Let's Go Pens!!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are the Pens having a morning skate before this game? I'm assuming not but I'm curious to see if we'll see any lines before the actual game starts.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Are the Pens having a morning skate before this game? I'm assuming not but I'm curious to see if we'll see any lines before the actual game starts.

They usually don't have a skate on afternoon game days. Coaches do their pre-game pressers two hours before puck drop ... doubt that HCMS will offer anything up, but you never know.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I really dont think we will be able to "Zatkoff" them for another game. We need MAF for this one.

Especially since our best player, Girardi, is out of the lineup.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am guessing that Lundqvist and Fleury will be back. But that each are going to have issues. I can't imagine after two days that Lundqvist's injury will not still effect him to a degree. Fleury will need to shake the rust off.

I also doubt that we get dominated in the first period as we did in game one. Nor do we get on the short end of the overall possession numbers again. That was a one off for the Rangers and they did not take advantage.

Would you limit Malkin to maybe the power play and a handful of shifts to ease him back, assuming that he is back?

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
Pens in 4. Hornqvist is a badass. So much better than softy James Neal. Its crazy how much firepower this team has now, I feel like every guy is capable of scoring a goal.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Pens in 4. Hornqvist is a badass. So much better than softy James Neal. Its crazy how much firepower this team has now, I feel like every guy is capable of scoring a goal.

The Rangers are a much better then they showed in game 1. We won't take them in 4. I hope we just keep momentum and get these 2 at home.

Just look at their line up, they are a good team.

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh
Something tells me Rangers will try to up the physicality today. Unlike previous years, I think this team has the ability to keep a level head in situations where the game becomes chippy. Pens take game 2.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
this game has all of the writing of a letdown game, not so more effort rather the result. Everyone in PGH is already in LSC Finals, hope Sully can keep this under control:

Sid's line has been crap no matter how crazy sounds they scored 4 goals, Bonino line is trending down big time, however we still have big time puck luck and great PDO, it will even out eventually:

Rangers 4:2

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
this game has all of the writing of a letdown game, not so more effort rather the result. Everyone in PGH is already in LSC Finals, hope Sully can keep this under control:

Sid's line has been crap no matter how crazy sounds they scored 4 goals, Bonino line is trending down big time, however we still have big time puck luck and great PDO, it will even out eventually:

you seem like you would be fun at parties

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh

*fills glass with bourbon*

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore

Um, we played like heated dog s**** for most of game one and put up a five spot. The Rangers should hope that the Pens don't kick it up two notches now, especially if Rust and Malkin are back.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am guessing that Lundqvist and Fleury will be back. But that each are going to have issues. I can't imagine after two days that Lundqvist's injury will not still effect him to a degree. Fleury will need to shake the rust off.

I also doubt that we get dominated in the first period as we did in game one. Nor do we get on the short end of the overall possession numbers again. That was a one off for the Rangers and they did not take advantage.

Would you limit Malkin to maybe the power play and a handful of shifts to ease him back, assuming that he is back?

Sheary-Malkin-Rust affords Sully the opportunity, from a time management perspective, to take it as it goes. Malkin could play 8-10 or 16-18 from this position. I think it just depends, from Sully's perspective, on how Malkin feels and looks out there.

Take it by ear, which is what I think Sully will do.

mrcshlbrstrm*

Pens drop the hammer today. Statement game. Feeling no letdown at all.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Something tells me Rangers will try to up the physicality today. Unlike previous years, I think this team has the ability to keep a level head in situations where the game becomes chippy. Pens take game 2.

They'll try to hit and cheap shot Sid. I assume they'll target Malkin and specifically his left arm.

Could be a let down and you're not wrong that the Pens aren't playing their best hockey. And, you worry that Malkin coming back traditionally has meant some other guys say 'okay, we can take our feet off the throttles'. But, I think they know Malkin is limited, I'm almost certain Sully will keep the team focused in a way Bylsma or Johnston never did, and I think Malkin's return would provide a constructive emotional pop for the team.

Let down is a possibility, but I actually wouldn't be surprised by a beatdown of the Rangers.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Your attitude is trending down big time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thinking that Schultz is going to play over Lovejoy is a fantasy.

Much as we wish that weren't the case.

Yeah, seeing as they barely played Schultz outside of PP2, Malkin bumping Daley to PP2 would mean Schultz to the pressbox first.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The Caps and several others have tried that with this team and it did not effect the game at all. The Pens avoided it, hard to take a cheap shot on someone you can not catch (teams have been trying that on Sheary all year) and the Pens skated away for the most part instead of the stupid responses in the past.

Malkin is the wild card in this, it is to be seen if he has bought into the skate away, take the 5 or 6 PPs, and point to the scoreboard thing as the rest of the team seems to have.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Lundqvist is fine... it was likely all precautionary. Ive been hit right under both eyes with sticks and pucks before when i was younger... you get a heck of a shiner and swelling and it feels like crap
He probably pitches a shutout on us or something....

Now that he is probably back... back to the Lundqvist jokes:

We have finally solved the complicated equation of how to chase Lundqvist from the net... "Lundqvist gets Hit + Lundqvist gives up a goal= Lundqvist doesnt play anymore

There is no "I" in team... now there is no "I" in Lundqvst either...

He actually wanted to change his name to Henrk Lundqvst, but they wouldnt let him cause he still has one "I"...

Hornqvist's goal on Kng Henry wasn't Lundqvst's fault... he had no Eyedea it was coming... he never even saw it..
.. I know that one is a little Corny(a)

Fortunately for Lundqvst, Staal had plenty of leftover eyepatches to loan him...

There is probably no truth to the rumor that Marc Staal graffitied Lundqvist's locker with "all ur eye are belong to me" but its highly probable...

If the rangers end up with many more one eyed players they are going to have to change their team name to the Pirates... with their stanley cup record they'd probably be better off playing baseball anyhow

How about all that time he used up before getting back in the net... he was obviously Staaling....

The team voted who would start the second period... Yes for Raanta... No for putting the injured Lundqvist back in.... ultimately, the "Ayes" had it....

What do you get when you cross a crying baby throwing a tantrum with Henrik Lundqvist? Answer: a more mature version of Henrik Lundqvist...

Henrik Lundqvist walks into a bar.... he woulda seen it first but Marc Staal got him...

Marc Staal is lucky he didnt get an "(h)Eye Sticking" penalty there...

As soon as Lundqvist went back in after the injury (soon is a relative term)... Sullivan, channeling the spirtit of famous generals past, ordered his team not to shoot till they saw the Puffy Red of Lundqvist's eyes

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Huh Rust seemed tentative about getting back this soon, I'd really almost rather see

KCH
Sheary - Gene - Fehr
HBK
Kuhn - Cullen - Rust

think those groupings work better together and would be easier to manage Rust's minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad