Pre-Game Talk: Game #2: LEAFS vs. SENS | Sat, Oct 6 @ 7 PM | CBC HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So do you want to see more of Ron Hainsey in a shutdown role if the Leafs are leading by 1 or 2 goals late in the 3rd period?
no, I'd rather see Dermott and Ozzy or Zaitsev try to develop as shutdown guys. Rielly and Gardiner will be better if he puts them in a position to use their strengths, and so will the team

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I'd rather see all of our defensemen develop into players that keep the puck out of our net and be able to put it in our opponent's

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
no, I'd rather see Dermott and Ozzy or Zaitsev try to develop as shutdown guys. Rielly and Gardiner will be better if he puts them in a position to use their strengths, and so will the team
That is a good point, however wouldn't it help develop Rielly and Gardiner's game even more if they are also able to shutdown the other teams?

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I just want to see better effort all around. Let's figure out the D zone exits and play like the offensive juggernaut that was hyped all off season.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Can we actually play our best players significantly more than our worst for once?
Who got more ice time than they should of? Hainsey?
On forward Mitch, Tavares and Matthews had the most total ice time and on defense Zaitsev, Gardiner had the most. (Just noticed Dermott actually got 17:58 last game)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Who got more ice time than they should of? Hainsey?
On forward Mitch, Tavares and Matthews had the most total ice time and on defense Zaitsev, Gardiner had the most. (Just noticed Dermott actually got 17:58 last game)

Hainsey is definitely the new Polak now. He would excel in a role that is similar to what Polak was given but he's playing way above his head and the fact that he plays so much on the PK will certainly bite us this year just as it did last year when he was gassed but kept being trotted out.

member 262271

Hainsey is definitely the new Polak now. He would excel in a role that is similar to what Polak was given but he's playing way above his head and the fact that he plays so much on the PK will certainly bite us this year just as it did last year when he was gassed but kept being trotted out.
He'd never live up to that icing quota, no chance.

Reactions: Pi

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Likely won't be seeing this one. Spending Thanksgiving weekend up at the cottage and my dad doesn't like to run the generator until it gets dark, which is right when the game ends. I'll be doing some data roaming to keep tabs on the score.

Anyone know if there will be any beach/medicine balls for this one?

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

member 262271

Likely won't be seeing this one. Spending Thanksgiving weekend up at the cottage and my dad doesn't like to run the generator until it gets dark, which is right when the game ends. I'll be doing some data roaming to keep tabs on the score.

Anyone know if there will be any beach/medicine balls for this one?
Ooooooooof what a tire fire in Ottawa.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It totally is a systems thing that hasn't worked in some time. Surprised they went back to it.....maybe with the players who ended up on the team, they thought it was best?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

To me this is the we need some guys to be capable of playing the role Hainsey does,so I don't have to play him 20+ a night. If that is the case I am all for it, even if their offensive output takes a hit.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Really need a bounce back 5v5 game from the team and looking at the stats, Kadris not getting enough love.

For all the talk about 5v5 issues in the opener, with Kadri on the ice, the Leafs had 13 scoring chances and only 2 against. Even with the perception that Brown was a passenger on that line, he must have been doing something right. Solid debut for Leivo/Kadri/Brown. Our worst C was arguably Matthews when it came to 2 way play but dat shot is a difference maker and hes getting used to 2 new linemates, one of which is not even close to Nylander quality.

For defense at 5v5, Dermott was a possession beast. Leafs lost the possession battle 57-43 and yet Dermott rocked a 62%. Solid two way game from him. Zaitsev was tops among dmen for scoring chance differential (13-7, 65%) despite being buried in defensive zone faceoffs. Hope they can keep it up until the other guys find their legs a bit and Oz gets more acclimated to the league.

Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
These lines are really bad.

We have one first line, then two third lines and a fourth line. Sorry I love Matthews and Kadri but they're not elite to the point they're going to make Marleau/Ennis/Brown/Leivo be considered legit top six lines.

Until Nylander is signed I don't understand why Babcock isn't running Matthews-Marner, then Kadri-Tavares. Marleau 3C.

Not only do we lack a true 1B/2 line, you have your two best play makers on one line. Marner has more chemistry with Matthews than he has with Tavares. Tavares doesn't need Marner.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
These lines are really bad.

We have one first line, then two third lines and a fourth line. Sorry I love Matthews and Kadri but they're not elite to the point they're going to make Marleau/Ennis/Brown/Leivo be considered legit top six lines.

Until Nylander is signed I don't understand why Babcock isn't running Matthews-Marner, then Kadri-Tavares. Marleau 3C.

Not only do we lack a true 1B/2 line, you have your two best play makers on one line. Marner has more chemistry with Matthews than he has with Tavares. Tavares doesn't need Marner.
Babcock seems really mediocre at getting the most out of a team. In what world is playing a 4th liner on his off wing supposed to help our superstar center? He makes so many questionable personnel and system decisions

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Babcock seems really mediocre at getting the most out of a team. In what world is playing a 4th liner on his off wing supposed to help our superstar center? He makes so many questionable personnel and system decisions

I don't really follow minor hockey but Kadri played with Tavares on the Knights right?

So instead of having two first lines, that both have chemistry, we're dressing a team with zero chemistry and one first line lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't really follow minor hockey but Kadri played with Tavares on the Knights right?

So instead of having two first lines, that both have chemistry, we're dressing a team with zero chemistry and one first line lol
I'm not sure either, but they definitely looked dangerous in the few shifts the had together with the leafs. Babcock values average/bad players way more than he should

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad