GDT: Game 2: Coyotes @ Senators - 10/18/16 - 4:30 PM

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yep. Domi and Duclair need to hold the puck. When that happens we generate offense.

Those guys are still playing "ammader" hockey. They have to learn to play defense. The 7th goal was all on Domi's half-assed effort. If we give them more ice time or play them together, we'll lose 10-5 instead of 7-4. It'd be dreadful, trust me. Do you want to be the Oilers? Do you?!

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
White has been useless so far. Goligoski needs to not suck also. Rough game for pretty much everyone, strome had a great first period, not a ton after that. Overall every coyote, even oel, had some big mistakes tonight, we just looked awful top to bottom.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
Did you become physically ill at having paid to watch that?

no lol, I got a pair of $190 each tickets free from work.

thoughts:
-no puck luck
-Hanzal mailed it in ugh....
-the one pass too many game in the offensive zone
-GoGo third star of the game
-Strome looked a bit lost
-Smith looked like he hurt his left hip flexor
-who is that White guy....send him back where ever he came from
-Duclair looked like he was in another time zone
-I kept waiting for them to start skating faster and Ottawa not being able to cope-nope didn't happen
-no obligatory Doan smoking Turris into the boards

Edit- attendance 11,601

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
P.S: Vrbata and Goligoski signing looks really questionnable after two games.

Not really concerned about either after 2 games. Vrbata looks like Vrbata. We needed a winger. Goligoski has had a solid, if unspectacular career. I think he'll settle into that. Similarly, White is an energy, sandpaper guy being asked not to play his game by the same coach who has neutered every player we bring in for that role (Carcillo, Biz, Downie, Scott, et al). I'm not sure why we bring in this style player if we don't want hitting because it takes you out of position and don't want fighting because you might get an extra penalty.

I'm not even going to argue the merits of that, because I think there is a happy middle ground, but I strongly question why we keep signing these guys and expect them to change their game and be successful.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I thought Strome looked okay.

I don't understand the Gogo comments. Thought he looked fine both games.

I'd like to see Dvo and Chych in next game in place of White and KConn.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I thought Strome looked okay.

I don't understand the Gogo comments. Thought he looked fine both games.

I'd like to see Dvo and Chych in next game in place of White and KConn.

Dvo will play in place of Strome. But I agree. KConn needs to sit and Chyc needs to play.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
Thoughts On Anthony Duclair's Performance?

nothing was happening for him, and he looked out of sync with the team. He didn't drive any plays or possession. I agree he needs to be with Domi. The most impact he had was when he and Strome collided at centre ice. That just about said it all.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What I would do ?

SCratch Connauton,Schenn and McBain, they were terrible.
Scratch White who is dumb and play like ****.

Especially Schenn. McBain is getting a lot of deserved hate in this GDT, but Schenn has been a horrible 2nd-pairing guy in both games now. He can't make a decent outlet pass to save his life. Reminds me of Yandle in his first season, minus the offensive promise. How he has lasted 500+ games at the NHL level is beyond me.

Here is what I want:

Domi-Dvo-Duke
Vrbata-Hanzal-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
McGinn-Dauphin-Crouse

OEL-Murphy
Goli-Stone
Chych-Michalek

Smith
Domingue

Looks reasonable, but you'll have to wait for a couple of them to get healthy. In the meantime, you're stuck with some tough choices.

As for Vrbata, we're seeing the same Vrbata who Canucks fans were not enamored of last season. The third time here might not be such a charm.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Too many basic mistakes all over the ice killed us tonight, simple as that. It's not one specific player just the general sloppy play with the puck and assignments in the D zone. Loui coming in cold cost us a few goals but not the reason we lost.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I saw Turris challenged Strome and Strome backed down. That pretty much represented the night.

You saw wrong, considering that weenie Turris wasn't going to do anything more than stick fight.

This team needs Stone badly. And Chychrun back in. Kconn probably gets waived in the hopes someone claims him.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
White kills that fourth line. He gets the puck and just turns it over, even if there is empty ice

This was one of GMJC's first signings..please tell me there is more. I agree he has been putrid, stupid and slow. He has to sit next game. In fact, none of GMJC's signings has looked good so far.

Wow. Well, say what you will about our terrible record the past few years, but Dave Tippett always has this team ready to play.

DT definitely has to take some of the blame for the first two games. The team has not been ready to play. No team speed, poor execution, lackluster effort. Last year the team was flying out of the box. I am concerned since we have so many rookies that DT is not sold on having them just play or play at all. Consequently, they and everyone else is on pins and needles. The lineup experiments aren't working either. Team needs continuity.

Not really looked good anywhere.

Gogo has really looked bad even in preseason. He wore the "A" for Dallas last year and was one of the top minute munchers on the team. Dallas has always been a fast team. Gogo wouldn't have had the "A" and minutes if he couldn't keep up. He just needs to play his game. I expect him to step up game big time. In fairness, despite his goals, OEL has made some bad mistakes and has looked lackluster at times too. If OEL wants to be serious Norris contender, he needs to show up every game for 60 minutes.

Hard to believe both KConn and McBain are better than Z in the eyes of the coaching staff.

(And yes, I know you guys are talking about DeAngelo)

And GMDT's favourite "bottom of the lineup" player twists the knife a little further over his employee evaluation.

I agree. No idea how they keep KConn and particularly McBain over Z. Z has earned the right to start up with big club as a 7 D. Heck..he just played for a competitive team Czech.

No, and before someone says I'm overreacting to one loss, we looked like a mess most of the game in our one win as well, soo...

Year two of rebuild. Bad roster. Backup goalie. Overacheiving. Excuses Blah blah blah

This is supposed by Coyotes 2.0. Maybe need to call it 1.5?

run the next game with Dauphin sitting. See if Strome and Dvorak can handle the load. If not the easy choice is to send Strome down. Outside of the assist he looked pretty bad.

Dauphin, along with Martinook, lone bright spots on team tonight. I did like some of what I saw from Crouse but real small sample size. And White on that line made both of them seem worse. I'd like to Seen Martinook, Dauphin and Crouse line.

no lol, I got a pair of $190 each tickets free from work.

thoughts:
-no puck luck
-Hanzal mailed it in ugh....
-the one pass too many game in the offensive zone
-GoGo third star of the game
-Strome looked a bit lost
-Smith looked like he hurt his left hip flexor
-who is that White guy....send him back where ever he came from
-Duclair looked like he was in another time zone
-I kept waiting for them to start skating faster and Ottawa not being able to cope-nope didn't happen
-no obligatory Doan smoking Turris into the boards

Edit- attendance 11,601

What's up with attendance in Canada capital? Everyone at Jays game?

Caught some Tip interview. Summed it up nicely. No compete and execution and many players need to follow Martinook lead.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Thoughts On Martin Hanzal?

Other than his usual blind-backhand-pass-across-the-ice-in-front-of-his-own-goal that ends up in our net.... meh.

What's up with attendance in Canada capital? Everyone at Jays game?

Caught some Tip interview. Summed it up nicely. No compete and execution and many players need to follow Martinook lead.

Discussion about that in BoH currently. They didn't sell out the opener either, but CTC has a 19K+ capacity too.

Only caught the game from the shortie on when it was 3-1, but I agree with Tip's assessment. We looked unorganized, sloppy and other than Martinook, played like we didn't care. But we were also chasing the game by then.

Hoping Smitty's injury isn't serious, but I doubt he comes back this road trip.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
This was one of GMJC's first signings..please tell me there is more. I agree he has been putrid, stupid and slow. He has to sit next game. In fact, none of GMJC's signings has looked good so far.

Gogo has really looked bad even in preseason. He wore the "A" for Dallas last year and was one of the top minute munchers on the team. Dallas has always been a fast team. Gogo wouldn't have had the "A" and minutes if he couldn't keep up. He just needs to play his game. I expect him to step up game big time. In fairness, despite his goals, OEL has made some bad mistakes and has looked lackluster at times too. If OEL wants to be serious Norris contender, he needs to show up every game for 60 minutes.

I agree. No idea how they keep KConn and particularly McBain over Z. Z has earned the right to start up with big club as a 7 D. Heck..he just played for a competitive team Czech.

Dauphin, along with Martinook, lone bright spots on team tonight. I did like some of what I saw from Crouse but real small sample size. And White on that line made both of them seem worse. I'd like to Seen Martinook, Dauphin and Crouse line.

Agree with your analysis of a lot of the players here. White is kind of just Chipchura. Goligoski can be so much better. McBain is not very good.

Crouse was faster than I expected, made some good hits, that line had one shift where they were causing havoc on the forecheck and almost scored. Dauphin isn't bad. Martinook continues to impress.

I would slightly disagree with some of those ripping on Schenn, though. He's slow, yes, but his decision making when it comes to handling the puck and making outlet passes has not been thatttttt bad. I don't know about his defensive game because I honestly haven't been paying attention to it as much, but he's a decent 3rd pairing defensive defensemen and at his best he plays with more snarl than Z. All of that said, he is depth. With Stone back, we don't need him as much, and we'd be a faster team with Chycrun in more of a permanent role.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The problem with Schenn is the minutes he is logging because Stone is out, imo. You can survive having perhaps two of KConn, McBain, Schenn, or Z in the lineup. Three of them playing with only 6 dmen means we're going to be bad.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The problem with Schenn is the minutes he is logging because Stone is out, imo. You can survive having perhaps two of KConn, McBain, Schenn, or Z in the lineup. Three of them playing with only 6 dmen means we're going to be bad.

Yeah exactly. And we knew going into the season he was going to be getting more minutes than he should. I wonder if Goligoski's play will improve a lot more with Stone as his partner

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Just finished the game. Smith getting injured sucks.

I like Schenn's game quite a bit.

I was depressed to watch Strome's game. Kid needs an offeason of pure weightlifting. Lift, eat, sleep, lift, eat, sleep under Powers. He looks like a baby. His game will be a lot stronger when he's stronger. And looked star-struck.

Max Domi is awesome. Crouse looked good. Mcginn should help make some offense on the lower lines.

chychrun looked way better than Kconn...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Judt watched the presser. Game 2 and Tippet bemoans the lack of 'execution'.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I think Schenn is actually doing his job and has been a pleasant surprise for me. I expected him to be clueless in the offensive zone but he knows to get it on net and generally when to pinch. Problem is, like you say, having him log regular 2nd pairing minutes.

Some stable lines and pairings should cure a lot of what ails the team. Crouse can go back when McGinn is ready. Dauphin can go down as well, or move to wing. I think putting two tenacious puck hounds with Strome will probably cover up his struggles. White can sit if he is going to take dumb penalties, although I liked him in the first game.

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Martinook - Strome - Rieder
McGinn - Hanzal - Vrbata
Dauphin - Richardson - Doan

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Chychrun - Schenn
K.Conn

This year was always going to ride on goaltending and the two big rookies. Just didn't think it'd be Domingue and their faceoff ability.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah I don't understand why everyone is down on schenn. He's made a few mistakes but overall has been adequate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hard to believe both KConn and McBain are better than Z in the eyes of the coaching staff.

(And yes, I know you guys are talking about DeAngelo)

And GMDT's favourite "bottom of the lineup" player twists the knife a little further over his employee evaluation.

KConn is LD. As far as McBain, he is a much better skater than Z, and I don't think it would really matter which one we had on the third pairing. By the end of the year I'm hoping DeAngelo grabs that spot.

Gogo and Strome both literally fall all by themselves. Un****en real.

Strome did that in rookie camp also. Last year he owned the dot, this year just the opposite.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome was brutal on the FO. Looked pretty good otherwise and made smart plays on both sides of the ice. Looked fast than in preseason and sure sees the ice well. Tip played him in situations he normally wouldn't trust a rookie which was encouraging. Too bad the kid couldn't get possession from the face off...

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata wont work. Domi and Vrbata just don't mesh. I like the idea of Strome centering Vrbata as they both know how to slide into spaces and create space. Throw in Rieder to cycle and hound the puck.

McBain has to go. Schenn needs to be out of the top 4 for the rest of the year. Whether that means Stone comes back and takes his spot or DeAngelo does if there is an injury. He just can't be taking that many minutes. I don't mind him and like some of what he brings but he is out there way too much and I think is weighing down Gogo (Gogo seems to like to pass it to his partner to begin generating a rush - Schenn gets said puck and makes a dumb AF pass). I think KConn will be fine but horrible first game back. But put in Chychrun until he is more comfortable.

Goligoski hasn't looked great. It could be partly because he is playing with human pylon Luke Schenn. But we have seen this many times when a defenseman (especially a puck moving one) comes into a new system. It takes some time to adjust. I thought he looked alright on the PP, has looked great in the offensive zone and transition on 5v5 and kind of meh in his own end. Again, I think he needs a partner to help him break out of his zone.

I think we need two third lines. Martinook-Richardson-Doan and McGinn-Dvorak-White. Put a little more skill on that 4th line and see what happens. Both lines should be able to cycle well and pot in a fair amount. If White continues to be a black hole see what Fischer can do. Crouse has been pretty good but I just think he is better off in junior.

Bad game, hope Smith is alright. Hope the team plays pissed on Thursday and that this isn't signs to come. It would be nice if this was the inverse of last year and the team continues to gain chemistry and get better as the season goes on, rather than just start off hot again.

I was cooking up a huge, long post but now I don't have to. I can just say "This!". Thanks for that. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00