GDT: Game 2: Coyotes @ Senators - 10/18/16 - 4:30 PM

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They really don't deserve to have only lost by 2 based on the last period and change.

No, and before someone says I'm overreacting to one loss, we looked like a mess most of the game in our one win as well, soo...

Year two of rebuild. Bad roster. Backup goalie. Overacheiving. Excuses Blah blah blah

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Geezus, turn the game off at 6-3, and see the game ends 7-4. What the hell, man....
Anyways, you might not agree, but this was a winnable game, if you take away the brain cramps.
Hanzal giving the puck away, not fighting off the Sens player on the rebound....poor Domingue, coming into a game like that.
They better tighten it up for the next game.

Hope Smith is alright, and not hurt too seriously. Coyotes need him.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
run the next game with Dauphin sitting. See if Strome and Dvorak can handle the load. If not the easy choice is to send Strome down. Outside of the assist he looked pretty bad.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
No, and before someone says I'm overreacting to one loss, we looked like a mess most of the game in our one win as well, soo...

Year two of rebuild. Bad roster. Backup goalie. Overacheiving. Excuses Blah blah blah

Even I think you're overreacting a little :P.

I'd encourage everyone to take a look at the NHL scores page. Lots of crooked numbers being put up.

How they just basically gave up in the third? Yeah that's a problem. But the general defense issues in both games before that point I'm not as worried about yet. If they are still looking like that in a couple weeks we can push the :scared: button repeatedly.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Ryan White is this year's Steve Downie.

Goli and Schenn have had two tough performances to start the year. I hope they turn it around ASAP, especially at 4mil Goli.

McBain and KCon are not NHL dmen. Not even #7s. I hope Mike Stone can help and he's 100% when he returns. Not sure Mr. DeAttitude or Z down in Tucson are better options than these two, but I'd like to at least see. I said it earlier, I really think our D are the story and will be all season. Specifically the bottom 4. We know what we have in OEL and Murph.

Hopefully a better effort Thursday night.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There was some crappy puck luck.

I can't put my finger on exactly what the problem is defensively. First, we have some bad luck not being able to find the puck on one of the goals. Then, we give up a shorty. Then, we look like we lost all of our poise, and can't clear the puck once Ottawa started to forecheck. Then, it's not our defense, but lackadaisical play from Hanzal after Domingue comes in.

I am still somewhat convinced that Playfair is not a good in-game manager. Some of the players on D looked like a deer in headlights once the Sens 3rd and 4th lines started to press us. I don't know what is or isn't said in the locker room, but I feel like we snowball into poorer and poorer play as the game moves on, and there is a lack of adjustment specifically on defense. Players are either not covering their man, or they are over-aggressive and get themselves out of position. I hear the players talking on the ice, but it is like each is speaking a different language.

Anything to like about this performance? Martinook. Pre-injury Smith. We looked like the better team for most of the 1st period, and then the play from almost everyone just degraded so much.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Missed the first two periods and turned on in the 3rd period. The Coyotes were playing worse than they were during the tank for McDavid season.

Ugly.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Goli and Schenn have had two tough performances to start the year. I hope they turn it around ASAP, especially at 4mil Goli.

McBain and KCon are not NHL dmen. Not even #7s. I hope Mike Stone can help and he's 100% when he returns. Not sure Mr. DeAttitude or Z down in Tucson are better options than these two, but I'd like to at least see. I said it earlier, I really think our D are the story and will be all season. Specifically the bottom 4. We know what we have in OEL and Murph.

Hopefully a better effort Thursday night.

I agree. KConn might've been rusty because he was hurt, but Chychrun looked better than him. KConn can be a decent 7 for sure.

It blows my damn mind that Z was waived and McBain wasnt. I just don't get it.

Wasn't expecting much from as gen when we signed him. But he had some pretty Schenn like turn overs this game.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Even I think you're overreacting a little :P.

I'd encourage everyone to take a look at the NHL scores page. Lots of crooked numbers being put up.

How they just basically gave up in the third? Yeah that's a problem. But the general defense issues in both games before that point I'm not as worried about yet. If they are still looking like that in a couple weeks we can push the :scared: button repeatedly.
I think I'm in a mood today. This didn't help ;)

"Execute" and "compete" come out tops on the GMDT "Post-Game Speak and Say"...

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Geezus, turn the game off at 6-3, and see the game ends 7-4. What the hell, man....
Anyways, you might not agree, but this was a winnable game, if you take away the brain cramps.
Hanzal giving the puck away, not fighting off the Sens player on the rebound....poor Domingue, coming into a game like that.
They better tighten it up for the next game.

Hope Smith is alright, and not hurt too seriously. Coyotes need him.

I agree even with most of the team looking like they have no chemistry for most of the game it was close until the injury.

But there are some things that need fixing. McBain has to go. I'd rather have Z. He atleast is good on the PK. A

And I don't want both Dauphin and White in the game. Having them on the same line results in nothing. I'd rather keep Dauphin in, he's good on the PK. For an energy guy White has disappointed. Crouse has done a better job at that IMO.

The Domi/Hanzal/Vrbata line has done nothing. Last year Hanzal did well with Domi because Duclair was also there. Without him on it it's not good. When Domi and Duclair were together tonight they looked pretty good.

I'd like the lines to be something like this for next game.

Domi/Hanzal/Duclair
Dvorak/Strome/Vrbata<- Maybe put Dvo at C with how poor Strome was at FO.
Nook/Richardson/Doan
Crouse/Dauphin/Rieder

For the D McBain has to go. I wouldn't mind seeing Chych playing LD with Goli on RD. Kconn and Schenn on the third pairing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, those lineup changes worked out pretty well.
To let an opponent who's on his 2nd night of a back to back score 7 is pretty generous.
Really Tippetts. That was obvious. What the heck were you thinking...are we tanking again?

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Stone can't come back soon enough. If we don't fix this we're in for a long year.

At least Domi looked better. Tried to carry the team on his shoulders. Needs to be more greedy

Yep. Domi and Duclair need to hold the puck. When that happens we generate offense.

Spot on.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well if things do get bad enough I could always make an updated version so we'll have that to maybe look forward too :biglaugh:

How many years can we have consistent problems with "executing" and "compete level" before one can question the coaching staff without being called a crazy know-nothing? Is it always the roster's fault?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Strome was brutal on the FO. Looked pretty good otherwise and made smart plays on both sides of the ice. Looked fast than in preseason and sure sees the ice well. Tip played him in situations he normally wouldn't trust a rookie which was encouraging. Too bad the kid couldn't get possession from the face off...

Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata wont work. Domi and Vrbata just don't mesh. I like the idea of Strome centering Vrbata as they both know how to slide into spaces and create space. Throw in Rieder to cycle and hound the puck.

McBain has to go. Schenn needs to be out of the top 4 for the rest of the year. Whether that means Stone comes back and takes his spot or DeAngelo does if there is an injury. He just can't be taking that many minutes. I don't mind him and like some of what he brings but he is out there way too much and I think is weighing down Gogo (Gogo seems to like to pass it to his partner to begin generating a rush - Schenn gets said puck and makes a dumb AF pass). I think KConn will be fine but horrible first game back. But put in Chychrun until he is more comfortable.

Goligoski hasn't looked great. It could be partly because he is playing with human pylon Luke Schenn. But we have seen this many times when a defenseman (especially a puck moving one) comes into a new system. It takes some time to adjust. I thought he looked alright on the PP, has looked great in the offensive zone and transition on 5v5 and kind of meh in his own end. Again, I think he needs a partner to help him break out of his zone.

I think we need two third lines. Martinook-Richardson-Doan and McGinn-Dvorak-White. Put a little more skill on that 4th line and see what happens. Both lines should be able to cycle well and pot in a fair amount. If White continues to be a black hole see what Fischer can do. Crouse has been pretty good but I just think he is better off in junior.

Bad game, hope Smith is alright. Hope the team plays pissed on Thursday and that this isn't signs to come. It would be nice if this was the inverse of last year and the team continues to gain chemistry and get better as the season goes on, rather than just start off hot again.

plgilbert

Apr 10, 2012
Quebec city
What I would do ?

SCratch Connauton,Schenn and McBain, they were terrible.
Scratch White who is dumb and play like ****.
Martinook is a beast out there he is the most intense Coyotes out there.
Dress Dvo and bench Strome. Strome was ok at times and make some dumb plays also. I think Dvo is more nhl ready right now.

Here is what I want:

Domi-Dvo-Duke
Vrbata-Hanzal-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
McGinn-Dauphin-Crouse

OEL-Murphy
Goli-Stone
Chych-Michalek

Smith
Domingue

P.S: Vrbata and Goligoski signing looks really questionnable after two games.
I hope Smith injury isn't too serious or we're screwed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad