GDT: Game #2: Coyotes @ Devils - 7:00 P.M - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
100%. He’s a rookie, he oozes skill and potential and he’s showing some really good things, but he’s going to do some mistakes and clean them up, and it’s ok.

I remember one play in particular, I think @JimEIV and @My3Sons brought it up and maybe they can refresh my memory, I forget exactly how the play unfolded, but the puck got sort of cleared by Arizona and Luke back checked like an absolute madman to go back to the puck and get to the ARZ player who beat our other D-man that got flat footed at the ARZ blue line. I remember being very impressed. His skating is already top 3 on the team.
I know which one you're talking about.

I don't remember us having a a defenseman since Nieds who could just chase someone down like a cheetah out there.

he looked like Darrell Green in the mid 1980s

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Holtz may be doing the little things better but he isn't doing what he actually NEEDS to do - get scoring chances and take them. You can get any fourth liner to do little things and not score. Holtz isn't good enough at the little things to justify playing him for that if he can't find a scoring touch here.
I sooooo want to like this guy, but he's making it difficult.

It doesn't help that I thought Lazar had a great game 1 and probably is the fast forward time machine version of Holtz... A first round pick that got lost in the wilderness and is now putting a game together around hustle and things he can actually do.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Luke is also playing his offside.

Not sure if that's where they intend to play him forever or not?

Is that where he always played in college? I don't follow prospects as much as I used to, so maybe he always played that side in college?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think I would swap Timo and Palat. Mercer and Timo would both have the puck a little more with those lines.

We always have the option to drop Bratt to another line if need be, Jack and Jesper will cook regardless of linemates.

I'm not a fan of breaking up what's working well, to help fix what's not working well. It's just unfair. Those other players need to just get their head out of their ass. When Bratt and Jack start cooling off, then maybe consider it.

Reactions: Mgd31

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
gotta be positive!

last year we started 0-2 , this year we start 1-0-1 and both years we looked sloppy out the gate

until this team ends a game with zero points from it, its hard to be mad!
I don't think we looked this bad out of the gate last year, though the home opener against Detroit we may have.

I clearly remember us being the better team in the first game against the Flyers, but that game was clearly on the guy that got sent to San Jose. Vitek certainly didn't play as well in his season debut last year as he did this year.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't think we looked this bad out of the gate last year, though the home opener against Detroit we may have.

I clearly remember us being the better team in the first game against the Flyers, but that game was clearly on the guy that got sent to San Jose. Vitek certainly didn't play as well in his season debut last year as he did this year.
The Philly game was pretty bad

So was the Anaheim game the first two period

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Luke is also playing his offside.

Not sure if that's where they intend to play him forever or not?

Is that where he always played in college? I don't follow prospects as much as I used to, so maybe he always played that side in college?

He definitely played his offside in his freshman year. I think sophomore year he played more on his strong side, but I can't remember.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Philly game was pretty bad

So was the Anaheim game the first two period
I honestly didn’t think the Philly game was that bad. I even think we outshot them (maybe some of that was score effects) by a bit but the goaltending was particularly weak in that game for us.

We had a poor 1st period against Anaheim, but I also remember you know who allowing at least one bad goal in the 1st that game and I think we went down 2-0 in the 1st and the team was booed off the ice into the 1st intermission.

Reactions: Guadana

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think our "bad" play is being overexagerated
Definitely not playing their best, but I think so too to a certain extent. Not playing their best but the boys found a way to get 3 out of 4 points either way. Good sign imo.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah those have not been good, but people are acting like we are playing like a bottom feeder and I don't buy it.

I think Arizona is pretty bad but their major issue is going to be depth and they had a healthy roster last night.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm just flat out not concerned long term about this team and I don't think there is reason for it either.

That’s mostly because of how talented the players are. When they get rolling they are a test for any defense and Jack can single handedly make an opponent look silly. The coaching so far hasn’t impressed me but I understand that the players want to play for Ruff and that’s the short term future. The players also look like they have not gotten untracked yet.

Reactions: Guadana and Dialamo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That’s mostly because of how talented the players are. When they get rolling they are a test for any defense and Jack can single handedly make an opponent look silly. The coaching so far hasn’t impressed me but I understand that the players want to play for Ruff and that’s the short term future. The players also look like they have not gotten untracked yet.

In the arena a lot of it just looked like mental and chemistry errors. Passes into skates, over passing to make the pretty play instead of the more obvious shot. All stuff that will be ironed out.

Nico and Timo aren't suddenly scrubs now either, that too will pass soon enough.

Some of the defensive stuff is just Ruff's system and the team wanting to do a full rush out of the zone at the expense of taking the easy clear. That's not going to wholesale change, but enough of it should be cleaned up that will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad