GDT: Game #2: Coyotes @ Devils - 7:00 P.M - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Or if Brendan Smith did not commit that dumb penalty, we win the game IMO.

Or if our Meier/Nico/Mercer line could get ANY production, we win that game.

That's low-hanging fruit, my friend.

Bratt did HIS PART (as did Jack).

It's the others that need to get with the program.
I'm not calling Bratt out. He had 2 goals yesterday and was great. I just meant that it was a big moment that could of potentially sealed the game.

Don't even get me started on Nico or Meier. It's only 2 games but they need to get on the ecotrdheet starting Monday.

Reactions: Guadana and glenwo2

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Of all the players to criticize this game, Bratt is at the very BOTTOM of the list. :shakehead

"That was killer", you said?

If Bratt doesn't score his 2 goals, Devils wouldn't even have gotten a point out of this game.

Let's stop with the nonsensical Takes, shall we?

The REAL cause of the loss is Brendan Smith.
I would include Schmid in there with Smith.

Camille the Eel

There was definitely some bad, but there’s some good in there too and showing resiliency when you don’t have your game to get points is a sign of a good team imo. When they get to their game as they’ve shown, it’s going to be even better.
High skill star players - and we have a bunch - will win you a lot of games. Jack Hughes, Bratt and Hamilton have scored 6 of our 7 goals in the 2 games and generated a ton more chances. Jack personally has points on 5 of our seven goals.

Another positive last night, Luke Hughes logging 20 minutes plus and some more stunning and effortless plays. I like that he’s concentrating on his defense and when he goes after a play in our own end most often he changes possession and gets things moving our way. What a talent.

Our power play finally looks elite too. Now just get the PK figured out.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
im not jumping off a bridge but 3/4 points against these teams isn’t “great,” it’s fine.

i don’t care about the points, i’m disappointed that 3 of the lines can’t generate offense and we get hemmed in our zone by inferior teams like it’s nobody’s business. last night we scored a 4v4, 4v3 and 5v3goal - we lost the 5v5 game and our pk has been abysmal.

not jumping off a bridge because that would be insane 2 games into the season, but my assessment of the first two games is hughes line + dougie-siegs pairing is awesome and the rest of the team looks like ass
The only concern I have that I think may be there all year will be the PK. The rest will be just fine — I expect to be one of the top 5 on 5 teams again, no real reason we shouldn’t be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thing is we just played marginal, at best, teams. Sure things are still being sorted out all around the league and two games in October that you picked up 3 out of 4 points mean little over 82 games...

But my view is if you're going to a serious team, a contending team these are the kind of games that you should be able to sleep walk through and still look good. They haven't looked good.
By the same token, the first ten games of the year is not when you want to play bad teams. You'd rather play bad teams in February after they know they're bad and good teams like us early when we're still in who cares mode.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
By the same token, the first ten games of the year is not when you want to play bad teams. You'd rather play bad teams in February after they know they're bad and good teams like us early when we're still in who cares mode.
I definitely agree with that. It takes to around Thanksgiving before things get sorted out.

But that win streak we had came early last year and it set the tone for the entire season... even when we hit a little rough patch in December it was a foregone conclusion we were going to make the playoffs because of that very early run.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Shit like this is infuriating. It changes the pace of the game.

I’m sure there were bad calls throughout, but the Siegs one allowed it to become 2-0 Arizona.

You'll feel a lot saner when you realize it is all fake. There are a few legitimate 'always penalties' and about 30 plays a game which are infractions by the rulebook, 0-6 of which will be called, depending on the time of the game, the home team's involvement, the number of penalties each team has incurred so far, and the score.

That Siegenthaler play should, IMO, always be a penalty - it is a very obvious deliberate pick. It would likely not have been called if e.g. power plays were 3-0 Arizona and they were up 1-0.

Oh please. People on here love to cite how the Devils used to 'come alive' in January after the pressure was off, when they'd long since left the playoff race. This is all made up, apart from the legitimate talent degradation that happens post-trade deadline selloff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You'll feel a lot saner when you realize it is all fake. There are a few legitimate 'always penalties' and about 30 plays a game which are infractions by the rulebook, 0-6 of which will be called, depending on the time of the game, the home team's involvement, the number of penalties each team has incurred so far, and the score.

That Siegenthaler play should, IMO, always be a penalty - it is a very obvious deliberate pick. It would likely not have been called if e.g. power plays were 3-0 Arizona and they were up 1-0.

Oh please. People on here love to cite how the Devils used to 'come alive' in January after the pressure was off, when they'd long since left the playoff race. This is all made up, apart from the legitimate talent degradation that happens post-trade deadline selloff.
January? It could be any month ..

Bad teams always come alive when when they're 20 points out of the last spot.

A lot of years our fate was sealed by Halloween

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
January? It could be any month ..

Bad teams always come alive when when they're 20 points out of the last spot.

See? This is all made up. What happens is that teams at the bottom of the standings usually aren't as bad as their record through 30 games. Almost every team besides the very worst go through a decent streak at some point. At some point a bad team will run off wins.

The Devils in 2019 finished 3rd worst in the league, but they won their first 4 games. The 2020-21 Devils finished 3rd worst in the league and opened up 3-1-1 or 6-3-2. It's all fake.

Arizona had 70 points last year, they had a 6-0-2 run in February and March.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
so the types of mistakes a 20 year old defenseman in the nhl makes and he very clearly has the tools to improve into an annual norris trophy contender?

church.
after fox, makar, heiskanen, dahlin, quinn, sanderson and power.

can we be patiently wait for him to
- establish himself as a nhl player
- work himself up in the lineup
- carry the first pairing
before we bring up luke in norris contention? or are we now going down to the level of habs and canucks fans?

I know it's early, but our PK looks like it could be a problem.

I don't think it's fair to Bahl that they threw him in the deep end with the experience he had coming into this season... I'm not sure he's up to 20 minutes a night with a big chunk of PK responsibilities. I don't think he looked good on the PK last night.

The team is leaning too heavily on Marino and Siegenthaler on the PK right now. And with the team taking a ton of penalties leaning heavily on two guys is a tough situation. Marino has averaged 4:33 of PK time over two games - that's kind ridiculous.

Normally you'd say it'll even out...but there is no one else to take those minutes.
pim is a cocern as well. i have not paid attention. is there a change in officiacating leading to a lot more pp and pk minutes?

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
after fox, makar, heiskanen, dahlin, quinn, sanderson and power.

can we be patiently wait for him to
- establish himself as a nhl player
- work himself up in the lineup
- carry the first pairing
before we bring up luke in norris contention? or are we now going down to the level of habs and canucks fans?

pim is a cocern as well. i have not paid attention. is there a change in officiacating leading to a lot more pp and pk minutes?
I think the officiating has been this bad for the last couple of years?

And I used to be one of those people that never questioned officials...figuring even bad calls are a part of the game and would all even out in the end ...

But the stuff we've seen over the last two years is just bush league

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think you keep it as is for 10 games then evaluate.

Work on game preparation and look to set the tone from the off.
i would like to see the hughes line against opposing top lines more and work in holtz a long side a combination of hischier/meier/mecer to give him more scoring opportunities.

if hughes can dominate opposing top lines, the devils have the depth to kill any other nhl team.

to please @My3Sons our third line could be palat-hischier-haula with meier-mercer-holtz getting the easier match-ups.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
im not jumping off a bridge but 3/4 points against these teams isn’t “great,” it’s fine.

i don’t care about the points, i’m disappointed that 3 of the lines can’t generate offense and we get hemmed in our zone by inferior teams like it’s nobody’s business. last night we scored a 4v4, 4v3 and 5v3goal - we lost the 5v5 game and our pk has been abysmal.

not jumping off a bridge because that would be insane 2 games into the season, but my assessment of the first two games is hughes line + dougie-siegs pairing is awesome and the rest of the team looks like ass
But Arizona isn’t that bad tho and Yzerman bruh.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
See? This is all made up. What happens is that teams at the bottom of the standings usually aren't as bad as their record through 30 games. Almost every team besides the very worst go through a decent streak at some point. At some point a bad team will run off wins.

The Devils in 2019 finished 3rd worst in the league, but they won their first 4 games. The 2020-21 Devils finished 3rd worst in the league and opened up 3-1-1 or 6-3-2. It's all fake.

Arizona had 70 points last year, they had a 6-0-2 run in February and March.
It's called ebbs and flows. Bad teams don't usually know they're bad the first month of the season, hence a lot of the Devils' fake first ten game runs when they had bad teams, then they go bad for a few months during the dog days of winter after reality hits, then they become 'pesky' when they start playing younger players and the season ending gets closer with no pressure (your examples being perfect illustrations of most of the above). More often than not this is exactly what happens in any sport.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember the play... I'm not a 100% sure but I think Luke was coming in for a change and the play got behind the change and Luke zoomed from the boards and caught the guy at the other side of the ice...but I could be mistaken... I sort of just have the memory of him skating across the ice to catch up to the play.

Edit: I'm getting a little antsy that he hasn't had a point yet :)

I think that’s the play he was referencing. Luke had to skate from one side all the way back and across the zone laterally as well. First time I saw him go all out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think that’s the play he was referencing. Luke had to skate from one side all the way back and across the zone laterally as well. First time I saw him go all out.
Yeah but I wasn't sure if he was coming on the ice from a change or the play just got behind him

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's called ebbs and flows. Bad teams don't usually know they're bad the first month of the season, hence a lot of the Devils' fake first ten game runs when they had bad teams, then they go bad for a few months during the dog days of winter after reality hits, then they become 'pesky' when they start playing younger players and the season ending gets closer with no pressure (your examples being perfect illustrations of most of the above). More often than not this is exactly what happens in any sport.

Not buying this at all. Bad teams don't usually know they're bad? Yes, bad teams are going to be worse post-deadline, but I guarantee you that this is false. Plenty of shitty teams start out terrible. Anaheim won their first game last year and went 0-6-1 in their next 7. The Devils in 2011 started out 2-7-1. Lousy teams get off to lousy starts, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad