GDT: Game 2 | Columbus vs. Carolina | 10/5 7PM

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Weird, I thought they played it pretty even with the Canes, much of it in their end. Just not very good shooting. A lot of shots into C-Mac's chest or a foot wide. Meanwhile the Canes rip it in off the post. And the powerplay sucked.
Panarin used "stupid shooting" in his interview. "We have to shoot more, but not just do stupid shooting."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Panarin used "stupid shooting" in his interview. "We have to shoot more, but not just do stupid shooting."

He at least hit the post, if I remember correctly. A lot of guys just were shooting all over the place. Clendening actually had two of the better shots, actually.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Went to the game as well.

Crowd had next to nothing to cheer for.

Bob was terrible ... needs to save 2 out of the 3 considering the viewpoint he had on them.

Credit to the Canes, quick to move the puck out of the zone anytime we got into it.

Can’t help but laugh that Bob wanted to play hardball and then has sh*t the bed ever since his comments at the beginning of camp.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Also, the delay was a real buzz kill. The crowd was nearly dead by puck drop (which is bad on the fans and the game ops), and I could do without the club atmosphere style introductions that they've went to over the past few years.

The first line looked dead. Werenski-Savard is the only D pairing worth a damn (although I thought Kukan and Clendening individually were OK), and other than Anderson, Dubinsky, and Duclair our forwards haven't looked dangerous at all.

Reactions: CBJSTH

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Also, the delay was a real buzz kill. The crowd was nearly dead by puck drop (which is bad on the fans and the game ops), and I could do without the club atmosphere style introductions that they've went to over the past few years.

The first line looked dead. Werenski-Savard is the only D pairing worth a damn (although I thought Kukan and Clendening individually were OK), and other than Anderson, Dubinsky, and Duclair our forwards haven't looked dangerous at all.

Murray and Nuti looked good to me.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

^^^^^ this. to a tee.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
also did anyone else catch the post game interviews.

Panarin was asked about his teammates (Cam and co.) continuing to try and persuade him to sign... he replied (thru his translator) ... “It’s awkward... [20 second pause/mumbling] ... funny”.

The whole interview was super weird.

Also Torts was asked post game by Lori Schmidt what his thoughts were on Bob and Panarin’s ovations... he said in a pissed off tone “I couldn’t even hear them.” Lori Schmidt replied, “well, they were the loudest ones.” And Torts sighed audibly and said “great for them” sarcastically, then proceeded to walk out of the interview room.

I’m with @Johansen2Foligno, until any of this with Bob and Panarin is resolved, I feel like this is going to cause a burden to the lockerroom and weigh it down throughout the season. Honestly. Just not getting good vibes at all from the team/their chemistry right now.

Nah...the pollyanna's have assured us it isn't, and won't be, a distraction. If in NY or Philly, sure it would be but this here is middle America. This kind of stuff is totally ignored.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I could not disagree more on the defense pairings. I think they all looked pretty good. We just couldn't make space in the offensive zone consistently enough.

Reactions: major major

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As to the D, I thought they played ok. 6 looked much better than 53. Nuti and Murray looked fine except for confusion on one score (and Dubi was the bigger culprit on that play). At this point the problem is the offense and the PP. (To paraphrase The Who: “ Meet the new PP, same as the old PP”).

Assuming Bob and Korpi can combine for a 1.90 GAA, we have the makings of a good season.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
At this point the problem is the offense and the PP. (To paraphrase The Who: “ Meet the new PP, same as the old PP”).
Can we tune in "It will get better, it can't be that bad for so long" last year hit song already? Or too soon?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nah...the pollyanna's have assured us it isn't, and won't be, a distraction. If in NY or Philly, sure it would be but this here is middle America. This kind of stuff is totally ignored.

"Oh my god, the horror, an awkward media session!" - Is it possible that these guys just care a whole lot more about winning than any of that crap? I'm just putting myself in their shoes, and I don't see why any of the media stuff would change anything for them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"The Hurricanes play so quickly and with such active sticks that it looks as if they continually have too many men on the ice."

- I had this exact feeling last night. Too many red jerseys.

At this point the problem is the offense and the PP. (To paraphrase The Who: “ Meet the new PP, same as the old PP”).

Yes, the two differences last night were PP and shooting. Territorially it was an even game, and they had a lot of chances in front of the net. They should have picked up a PP goal and shot better to pick up another.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This was from Dom season prediction article on Athletic.

Columbus was absolutely woeful in PP department last season with a 17.2 per cent efficiency that ranked 25th in the league. Giving this duo(Wennberg&Foligno) a heavy dose of power play time likely didn’t help last year as both only managed paltry points per 60 rates well south of two and were among the league’s worst on the power play. With those two on the ice, Columbus only scored 3.62 goals per 60 with the man advantage. Without them, they were a much more respectable 6.71 (and the problem really seems to be Foligno). They should rebound based on their previous success, but with how bad last year went there’s no guarantee they even get big minutes again (lol riiight), not with Dubois knocking on the door at least.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
In all fairness, it was a stupid question from Schmidt. Our media folks ask way too many dumb questions about “the fans” and “the crowd”. “How bout that crowd, eh??” (Jody, in every single post win interview) I’d have been annoyed by it if I were Torts.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Meaning...

I don’t have an actual point so I will name call people who disagree with an opinion I share.

EDIT: I mean to say ‘the chicken littles’ don’t have a point...

In all fairness, it was a stupid question from Schmidt. Our media folks ask way too many dumb questions about “the fans” and “the crowd”. “How bout that crowd, eh??” (Jody, in every single post win interview) I’d have been annoyed by it if I were Torts.

Bingo. Portzline and Schmidt need freshened. They are uninteresting and uninterested.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sticks. That’s what I noticed most. Canes poke checking and deflecting and in passing lanes. And ready to do something when presented with the puck. Yes, that involves quickness and some hockey IQ but fundamentally it was just active sticks.

Frustration built up by the third for the home team, from its inability to navigate the forward 2/3 of the play.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It sure seems like this thread is making Carolina , a much better team than they actually are . I know preseason predictions can be dicey , but they are predicted near last in the Metro , they lost Skinner , and they were playing with a goalie they claimed off waivers , early in the week . Absolutely no excuse , to get dominated at home , for the season opener , against this team . Our team speed has looked very suspect in the first 2 games , our shooting has been atrocious, and many times they are overpassing .

Reactions: DJAnimosity

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It sure seems like this thread is making Carolina , a much better team than they actually are . I know preseason predictions can be dicey , but they are predicted near last in the Metro , they lost Skinner , and they were playing with a goalie they claimed off waivers , early in the week . Absolutely no excuse , to get dominated at home , for the season opener , against this team . Our team speed has looked very suspect in the first 2 games , our shooting has been atrocious, and many times they are overpassing .

I watched the Carolina-Islanders game Thursday night, and thought this is going to be brutal. They absolutely mauled the Islanders. They just couldn't score, and the Islanders won in OT. Which is exactly how most of our games against Carolina went a year ago.

You don't feel good about your team after playing Carolina. I suppose you could say it's an especially bad day when they take better shots than your team does.

I don't agree with any characterization of that game as domination. In the mid-third the Jackets got frustrated and had too many one man rush kind of plays, but prior to that they had oodles of chances in front of the Canes net, more than the Canes usually give up. They had more scoring chances than the Canes had.

What prognosticators say about Carolina is that they are a great team if they get goaltending. They got it last night. And I have to add that losing Skinner isn't that big of a hit, in fact they're much more dangerous now with Svechnikov, Necas, and Zykov.

Reactions: MinJaBen and Viqsi

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL

The way you beat these teams are with one time shots with traffic in front and speed/transition game. Instead we tried to stick handle through 2-3 defenders, wait for the perfect shot (hint: this allows them time to get in position to block shots), and get up ice before they do with a numbers advantage.

We routinely are unable to get past teams that pressure us on power plays and on defense. Torts needs to scheme around these teams.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The way you beat these teams are with one time shots with traffic in front and speed/transition game. Instead we tried to stick handle through 2-3 defenders, wait for the perfect shot (hint: this allows them time to get in position to block shots), and get up ice before they do with a numbers advantage.

"Speed/transition" isn't really an option when they gum up the neutral zone. That's the point of gumming up the neutral zone.

We routinely are unable to get past teams that pressure us on power plays and on defense. Torts needs to scheme around these teams.

I agree about the pressure on the PP. They seem to wilt when teams get aggressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad