GDT: Game 2 | Columbus vs. Carolina | 10/5 7PM

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Here’s the thing , the jackets have way too many stinkers, especially at home . Which is just flat out unacceptable .Nationwide has some of the worst game ops in the business , but so many nights , the jackets are absolutely brutal on offense . This is the same team , minus jones right now , adding Duclair , and Nash , that went 40 games struggling to score 2 goals . Your guys that can actually create offense on their own , Milano , Bjorkstrand don’t get the minutes needed under Torts , yet he will continue to play guys like Foligno 19 minutes a night , Wennberg 16 minutes a night , and get little to no production .

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here’s the thing , the jackets have way too many stinkers, especially at home . Which is just flat out unacceptable .Nationwide has some of the worst game ops in the business , but so many nights , the jackets are absolutely brutal on offense . This is the same team , minus jones right now , adding Duclair , and Nash , that went 40 games struggling to score 2 goals . Your guys that can actually create offense on their own , Milano , Bjorkstrand don’t get the minutes needed under Torts , yet he will continue to play guys like Foligno 19 minutes a night , Wennberg 16 minutes a night , and get little to no production .
It's also the same team that (minus Panarin) set a league record for number of wins in a row.

Oh, wait, I forgot - only the bad streaks count.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's also the same team that (minus Panarin) set a league record for number of wins in a row.

Oh, wait, I forgot - only the bad streaks count.

Granted the good streaks happen as well as the bad but I think another scoring drought is much more likely than a 16 game winning streak. And btw it wasn't a record, only second best. Pittsburgh won 17 in a row.

The point is that the team is off to a 1.5 gpg pace for 60 minutes. I know its only 2 games but...

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The shooting will turn around eventually.

I don't really blame Bob or the defense for last night... the team put up 1 goal on Curtis McElhinney in 30 shots and a bunch of power plays. They created chances but could not capitalize.

Honestly, stop putting Foligno and Milano in the top-6 and on the power play. Passing the puck to Foligno on the power play is almost a guarantee that the defense will recover and clear the zone.

I think maybe put Duclair or Anderson with Wennberg and Bjorkstrand. Duclair has to stop trying to go 1 on 5 every time he gets the puck, though.

Maybe call up Stenlund. Otherwise, I think the answer to having a secondary scoring threat outside of Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson lies outside the room.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Granted the good streaks happen as well as the bad but I think another scoring drought is much more likely than a 16 game winning streak.

The problem is threefold:
1) These suppositions are never backed by anything other than just pessimism,
2) Bad times happen to every team - or, rather, such phenomena are assumed to be isolated and independent incidents that only bring down the Jackets, and no allowance is ever given to bad things happening to other teams as well,
3) Even presuming that it's a problem to be solved, there's never a proposed solution that actually solves such a problem beyond "well, let's add so and so guys and maybe that'll do it" - succinctly put, it's used as a justification for what amounts to change for its own sake.

It's a crappy nonargument, in other words, and folks really shouldn't be using it any more than folks should be pointing to the winning streaks and saying "see? there's no problems at all, we're going to conquer the world." That was my point.

Reactions: seneca

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think our problems are anything that can't be solved with: 2 practices and 2 beers (nod to Lyle Odelein). 2 signings would be nice, but that's unrealistic.

Reactions: Viqsi

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It sure seems like this thread is making Carolina , a much better team than they actually are . I know preseason predictions can be dicey , but they are predicted near last in the Metro , they lost Skinner , and they were playing with a goalie they claimed off waivers , early in the week . Absolutely no excuse , to get dominated at home , for the season opener , against this team . Our team speed has looked very suspect in the first 2 games , our shooting has been atrocious, and many times they are overpassing .

They are built around their defense. They already had one of the best defenses in the league and then added Hamilton and DeHaan this offseason. I was at the game and the Jackets just looked like they didn't have a plan. They couldn't figure out how to beat the defense, which is a tall task, but with what seemed like a bit of lethargy on top of that certainly didn't help. Having to play from behind against them is tough.

We all here know Mac has good games. Inconsistency is his issue. He didn't flat out steal the win for the Canes, but he had a really nice game.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Granted the good streaks happen as well as the bad but I think another scoring drought is much more likely than a 16 game winning streak. And btw it wasn't a record, only second best. Pittsburgh won 17 in a row.

The point is that the team is off to a 1.5 gpg pace for 60 minutes. I know its only 2 games but...

That Dubinsky has been involved in 66.6666% of the goals is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->