GDT: [Game 2] April 15: Flames @ Ducks - 8:30pm MT (TV: CBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Okay so I have been thinking.

I think we have been the better team through 2 games. I think our undisciplined play has completely ****ed us over. That said, it does leave me with a glimmer of hope. If the Flames can stay out of the box I think they can win game 3, then if they can carry it over to game 4 it's a whole new ball game. Should the Flames pull their heads out of their ass and win games 3 and 4, then I actually like our chances. Carrying that momentum into game 5 I think would put the Flames in a good position to take the series.

100% agree. The Flames have proven through two games that they can hang with the Ducks even despite Ponda Center ********.

They can absolutely win the next two and if they play like they played in games 1 and 2 there's no way that they lose all 4 games in Anaheim.

Also, RE: lineup changes. I like the lineup the Flames have right now, including Bouma, Brouwer, and Bartkowski. Realistically, the Flames have been as good as or even better than expected through 2 games, but they just have nothing to show for it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the Flames can be that close to beating the Ducks in games where they have absolutely boneheaded errors and in a hostile environment, then I have to believe they've got more than a slim chance to head back to the Honda Center tied 2-2.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
So annoyed. Woke up at 6:30am in the UK to watch the game on replay... but didnt realise that the game could still be going. So I make some coffee, get into the zone and press play. Only to watch **** Ducks post game show and some fans yelling "Cant win here!" and the score in bog bold letters on the screen.

Well at least I didnt have to spend 2.5 hours watching a game that would not end well.

Damn the Ducks. My hatred for them has reached Oil/Nucks level.

On the positive. Our team core is young and at this point is not expected to win the cup. This kind of adversity and experience will go a long way in building strong players that can one day (hopefully) truly challenge in the post. Wonder how long Gio can keep up with the kids? His leadership is instrumental to the team D and overall, would love for him to be around when/if we do make a longer run.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I didn't hear it, but a friend told me that Gulutzan was ripping into the refs post game (off Fan960). From what I gathered he basically said that they let most go until 6 minutes in the 3rd then called a chincy call on Hamilton and Brodie.

I said the same thing hours ago (before I heard Gully), but they were letting both teams play physical and hard, then call a holding the stick penalty? Like really, Perry runs right into Hamilton for some interference and Hamilton holds his stick for a second to throw it away and that's a penalty? In the neutral zone away from the puck? In a 2-2 game with 5 minutes left? **** right the **** off you muppets.

And if they can't see that Kesler dove from the Brodie "cross check" then they shouldn't be in the league. Call the cross check, it it's a cross check, but call the embellishment because that is just embarrassing.

Like you have to credit the Ducks because they get away with everything, interference, diving twice a shift, fluky/lucky goals, yet have been outplayed in both games.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
brouwer won't be scratched, but would be my choice. Lazar likely won't play a game. Frustrating , just like this incomprehensible curse.

The Flames management fully deserve whatever they get if they keep playing him and dont expose him in the expansion draft. I dont feel sorry for them or this *******. Softest "big" man in the league. Horrible signing

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the Flames can be that close to beating the Ducks in games where they have absolutely boneheaded errors and in a hostile environment, then I have to believe they've got more than a slim chance to head back to the Honda Center tied 2-2.

The Flames played well enough to lose and the bad luck may not just go away.

But you are right, they are young and competitive. I am not even mad, hopefully they can keep improving. A few small changes, mainly on the defense and probably a better goalie and they will contend for years to come.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why can't Dougie Hamilton played more aggressive? He has the size, play more like Pronger Dougie.

The Flames are really missing that aggressive defencemen, someone like Regher.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Other teams have star players who control the pace of the game and seem larger than life. Johnny is supposed to be ours but just hasn't really been all season. Pretty disappointing to watch as a fan. Any chance we could turn him into Tavares this off season?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Other teams have star players who control the pace of the game and seem larger than life. Johnny is supposed to be ours but just hasn't really been all season. Pretty disappointing to watch as a fan. Any chance we could turn him into Tavares this off season?

Johnny was fine. He was just looking to pass too much.

Still can't believe that was a no goal call. Just a horrible, horrible call. No two ways about it.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Okay so I have been thinking.

I think we have been the better team through 2 games. I think our undisciplined play has completely ****ed us over. That said, it does leave me with a glimmer of hope. If the Flames can stay out of the box I think they can win game 3, then if they can carry it over to game 4 it's a whole new ball game. Should the Flames pull their heads out of their ass and win games 3 and 4, then I actually like our chances. Carrying that momentum into game 5 I think would put the Flames in a good position to take the series.
I agree with this sentiment. As upset as I am about how the series has gone so far, the only thing we can really blame ourselves for is a lack of discipline. That, and the flukiest goal I think I may have ever seen (or at least, in a long time) cost us last night. That being said, the refs totally changed the standard of what was called last night (as JPeeper mentioned), which is frustrating as all hell.

Regardless, game two was better than game one. The fact that we are going to be at home now - assuming we can keep improving on the discipline aspect of our game - gives me hope that we can definitely come back in this series. I'm not going to say we're in the grave unless we lose game three. Right now, we're stumbling towards the hole, but we don't have one foot in just yet.

Sir, I'm going to need to ask you to calm down, or I'm going to have to call (United Airlines) security to have you re-accommodated.

Nah, but in all seriousness, Johnny was okay last night. He wasn't that great in the first period, but he got better as the game went on (and miles better than game one, imo). He just needs to shoot the puck more instead of trying to look for the pass or making the fancy play.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
The Flames are done in my opinion. I don't see any way they take 4 out of 5, they really needed to split these 2 games. Another poor start and undisciplined play cost them again.

Far from done, win 2 at home with momentum and it's a different story.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's really upsetting that we didn't get a W in Anaheim, because I feel like we deserved a better fate. However I totally agree with some of the posters above that no one should be counting us out, yet. The Flames are a dangerous and deep team and the Ducks know it. In all honesty, they are lucky to be up 2-0, because had we played more disciplined they would probably be down 0-2. Screw next year, were in it this season, I believe in this team and our players.

I think Brodie played well again and I'm also liking what I'm seeing from Bennett. Backlund had a great game to. I love this team and our players, I just want to see us have some luck go our way, I'm proud of the job the coaches have done. We need to play on the line, but just do it better which the Ducks are masters at.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
FWIW, hated the late calls and you guys are getting the same chintzy calls we are seeing in our series. You played well. You'll rebound at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad