GDT: Game 2: Anaheim Ducks vs Carolina Hurricanes - 5:30 PT (Home Opener)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
TOI for defensemen

Fowler - 23:03
Drysdale - 22:06
Lacombe - 21:37
Mintyukov - 18:11
Lybushkin - 16:38
Gudas - 16:27

Skewed by the Gudas penalty, but a lot of time for the youngsters.

Only thing I’d like replaced is Gudas taking more of Lybush’s minutes and Minty more of Fowler on PP. I know Gudas’ penalty skews things. Fowler should get the most ES minutes with JD. Lacombe-Gudas most PK. Minty and Drysdale most PP minutes IMO. The two D won’t last on the second PP unit once Killorn and Leo are back.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Eakins had the Ducks 3rd in the Pacific when Verbeek took over, with rookies Z and Drysdale. Manson went on IR during all-star break when Verbeek took over and PV did nothing to help add talent.

You don't need graphs for that fact.

Last year's roster was shit. I called it out before the season started b/c I know of charts and graphs and things. Eakins didn't construct that roster, Verbeek did. Now, I didn't think Verbeek was going to extend Eakins either after taking over as GM. Yet, Eakins actually made us start winning until the TDL happened again. Everything fell apart again.

Ducks2022-23
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82 (TDL)
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Good thing Verbeek pulled the plug at the TDL so that we could get a chance at Bedard, but ended up with Carlsson.

But hey, you can keep with you rhetoric, though.

Only stat that matters in sports…. Wins/losses. He’s never been in the playoffs. He’s a bad coach, his record shows that, and I’m not the one spinning rhetoric.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The blue line consisted of five new players, Drysdale included.

Fowler - Drysdale
LaCombe* - Gudas
Minty* - Lyubushkin

* = rookies
Orange color = new to team compared to last season

We also had a few players improve over the summer such as Leason, Carrick's hips, Mac, and Vatrano. I like tonight's version of Strome and hope to keep him.

Big kudos to head coach Cronin and assistant coach Thompson! Those x's & o's matter here.

Mintyukov is probably still a bit green for the NHL so we'll see how it goes down the road but so far so good. I like that new Ducks defense. Gudas has always been a favourite of mine. It's not without risk to ice this many young and new players on defense so props to the organization for doing it. I think it helps if you can add young players who got a rather mature game already like Drysdale or LaCombe. Btw, the LaCombe feed to Mintyukov was something else.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I’m gonna wait till the honeymoon period is over to have a definitive statement on this defense. Two games in though it feels good to see my team playing good hockey for once in several seasons. (Welcome to ducks fans mindsets however remote that island may be)

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Was at the game and I have to repeat what others have said, the environment was amazing. I haven't enjoyed a game like that in several years. Still don't have high hopes for the season, but if they play like this all year I'll love every minute of it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
This kid just dngaf in an scenario once he's one the ice. His dangle in the offensive zone cutting from the halfwally to the center of the ice was something I haven't seen since maybe Montour in terms of it just excuding confidence in his game. Now, Montour had obvious faults, and so does Minty at this age but you love to see it.
Not only that, at least three times he drove to the net from the wing before making a backhand centering pass to the slot. High risk play for a dman since the slot is covered and that's an instant outnumbered counterattack if you miss but it creates havoc when it works.

Beyond that he just seems to be able to disrupt plays and get inside when he needs to. Has a knack for it. Really fun player to watch.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
At the game and I have not seen that environment in a long time. The impact of the coaching is dramatic IMO.

Good
Team was super Physical - Johnson Leason Lacomb Gudas Minty (which was awesome) made a huge impact. We are actually a big team, they just never played like a big team
Young D - Wow - Lacomb Minty and Drysdale going to be fun to watch for a while
Dostal - Saved a few great shots

Not so good
Fowler - Still plays too safe with the puck - Cant stand when he sits behind the net then makes a bad pass
Terry-Zegras-Rico - Looked out of sort and not very dangerous, Seemed to be playing with the puck too long or trying to make a great pass
Silf - just looks pretty slow
Jones - needs to step up a bit

When Lundestrom, Kilhorn and Carlson enter the fray, this team will be a bit less physical, but fun to watch.

Reactions: Static
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
"We knew they were going to come in the third," Cronin said. "To me, the big positive in that is we kept them to the outside and we had a lot of blocked shots and we won the game, so that's going to be a lot of third periods. Obviously, it's a style in the NHL, people throw everything at you, and I thought we did a good job weathering the storm."
Seems like that 3rd period momentum shift was expected and maybe deliberate?

Also this:
"LaCombe's assist on Mintyukov's goal marked the fifth time in NHL history that a defenseman has scored his first NHL goal off an assist from another defenseman who recorded his first NHL point." Wow. I was wondering who'd get that puck, since it was also Strome's 400th point. They should saw it into 3rds or something.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Minty and Frankie were clearly the stars of the night but I was also thoroughly impressed by Lacombe. His combination of physicality and offensive prowess is what our D corps has been lacking for years.

As others have said, it was one game (against a good team that looked out of sorts). But there were signs last night that the vision is starting to come together. Cronin has definitely made an impact on the psyche of this team. They played like they believe.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Was also at the game with the kid and wife, the atmosphere was awesome. I know there's a lot more hype for a home opener than the usual midseason Ducks game, but going up 3-0 in the first the arena was bouncing.

Biggest standout to me was LaCombe. Obviously not a lot can be determined after two games, but he looks very physical and confident out there. Great positioning and knows when to pinch up and when to play conservatively. Some great passing as well from him. Uses his bigger frame really well to make guys uncomfortable on the puck. The sequence on Minty's goal where he whipped the pass down low, moved in towards the net and then whipped another through the seam to Minty was super clean.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Found out last night that I will not be getting a hockey spot in a vom this year despite requesting one. Honestly kinda pissed about it. Couldn't request one last year because I started only a few games into the 2021-22 season rather than working the full one, but was hopeful I'd get one this year. Oh well.
Sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure who calls the shots now, but when I was there if you requested a vom for the season you'd be guaranteed not to get one.

Season seat holders went out of their way to tell my supervisors they'd want me in their section and I still got turned down. Finally, after being there for 3 years and seeing new hires get spots, I said f*** this place and quit.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure who calls the shots now, but when I was there if you requested a vom for the season you'd be guaranteed not to get one.

Season seat holders went out of their way to tell my supervisors they'd want me in their section and I still got turned down. Finally, after being there for 3 years and seeing new hires get spots, I said f*** this place and quit.
Yep this is the thing that gets me irritated about it, many people that started after me have gotten voms for this season after requesting one. They encourage everyone once the season ends to email and ask for the spot they want and I did back in august, they immediately replies saying they’d discuss it with the supervisors when they meet to set the spots. No clue why they didn’t give me one, but I told a supervisor that used to tell me back last season that I should’ve requested one last year despite being newer and I probably would’ve gotten one, he said he’d see what he could do but I’m not expecting anything

Reactions: Captain kahruinch

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Yep this is the thing that gets me irritated about it, many people that started after me have gotten voms for this season after requesting one. They encourage everyone once the season ends to email and ask for the spot they want and I did back in august, they immediately replies saying they’d discuss it with the supervisors when they meet to set the spots. No clue why they didn’t give me one, but I told a supervisor that used to tell me back last season that I should’ve requested one last year despite being newer and I probably would’ve gotten one, he said he’d see what he could do but I’m not expecting anything
Not sure if this would apply in your situation, but I got the impression that if they knew you were a hockey fan they'd make sure you didn't get a spot because they'd want you to focus on your responsibilities rather than the entertainment.

Could just be my cynical way of viewing things, but it certainly seemed like it was the case when I was there.

I just hope you don't have to deal with the 14 hour shift for Women of Faith. Unless you're into that sort of thing...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Only stat that matters in sports…. Wins/losses. He’s never been in the playoffs. He’s a bad coach, his record shows that, and I’m not the one spinning rhetoric.

Sure, if you don't have context. Eakins has always been brought in with a rebuild team. With the Ducks, we intimately know it was a rebuild as we kept taking away more and more talent for a few seasons.

=== Let's play KelVarsen rules ===

Here's one for you. If you're only about end results without context. We drafted a defensemen in the first round.

D-1: -36 rating
D+0: -24 rating

Why in the hell would we draft a defenseman that can't defend? According to your microscopic angle, we never should have drafted this defenseman, let alone draft him in the first round.

That defenseman is Shea Theodore. His pre-draft team rosters were terrible. His post draft teams accrued more talent.

D+1: +19
D+2: +17

Maybe roster construction is a significant part of improved play. Again, Eakins has always been involved with rebuilding teams. Rebuilding teams don't often win.

==========================

I'm good with the fuller version of Eakins. Never said he was the greatest. When given a better roster, then apparently he wins. Unfortunately, the rosters he's been given haven't been great, especially when we're sellers at the TDL.

Now here's the kicker. I have stated Eakins should be gone after the 2021-22 season b/c new GM's want their new head coaches. GM Verbeek didn't construct a worthwhile team for the 2022-23 season and brought Eakins back. The 2022-23 season was going to be abysmal before it even started, not because of Eakins, but because of roster construction. We had only one top-4D last year on our blueline. Verbeek didn't go out and grab a potential top-4D to replace the loss of Drysdale last year to help the team... like when Verbeek didn't help out the Ducks who were 3rd in the Pacific when he took over and discovered that Manson has just been put on IR. That's not on Eakins b/c Eakins does not control the roster. Whoever was gonna coach the team last year was purposely doomed to fail.

I see Eakins for what he did and didn't do. I am fine moving on from him. I was fine moving on from him last off-season. But I won't be purposely ignorant of what transpired under Eakins' watch, including what was beyond his control.

Eakins set a good foundation for the next coach. During the whole rebuild, no one quit (except for Comtois... Comtois quit). And when someone did quit, then Eakins left him a lifeline to redeem himself - which was Rico's situation. Eakins has been deploying pinching D-men with rotating forwards scheme, which is highlighted by Fowler had career production years in the past two seasons as well as Drysdale putting up 32 points in his rookie season.

With new HC Cronin, he's also utilizing that same offensive scheme of pinching D with rotating forwards, but with more X's and O's. The returning forwards should acclimate to Cronin's level of detail since the foundation has been laid down. With the defense, Cronin's has been given six new D-men that weren't here for most of last year, which includes Drysdale. Also, three of those defensemen with offensive instincts in LaCombe, Mintyukov, and Luneau.

The Red Wings were already in rebuild mode (2016-17) when Yzerman took over in 2019 and they're continuing that rebuild to this day. You're not gonna be a playoff team if you're in rebuild mode. Our rebuild and reset rebuild netted us top end prospects and players to eventually give the Ducks a more talented roster. Eakins has always been a rebuild coach; but for a brief moment when he had a talented roster, he had him in a playoff position.

Reactions: branmuffin17

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
"We knew they were going to come in the third," Cronin said. "To me, the big positive in that is we kept them to the outside and we had a lot of blocked shots and we won the game, so that's going to be a lot of third periods. Obviously, it's a style in the NHL, people throw everything at you, and I thought we did a good job weathering the storm."
Seems like that 3rd period momentum shift was expected and maybe deliberate?

Also this:
"LaCombe's assist on Mintyukov's goal marked the fifth time in NHL history that a defenseman has scored his first NHL goal off an assist from another defenseman who recorded his first NHL point." Wow. I was wondering who'd get that puck, since it was also Strome's 400th point. They should saw it into 3rds or something.
Just get one of those bagel cutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad