GDT: Game 2: Anaheim Ducks vs Carolina Hurricanes - 5:30 PT (Home Opener)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_4608.jpeg
IMG_4609.jpeg

Anaheim Ducks vs Carolina Hurricanes
5:30 PT - Game 2
IMG_4603.gif

IMG_4560.gif

Carolina Hurricanes
IMG_4610.jpeg

Michael Bunting -- Sebastian Aho -- Seth Jarvis
Teuvo Teravainen -- Jesperi Kotkaniemi -- Martin Necas
Jordan Martinook -- Jordan Staal -- Jesper Fast
Brendan Lemieux -- Jack Drury -- Stefan Noesen

Jaccob Slavin -- Brent Burns
Brady Skjei -- Brett Pesce
Dmitry Orlov -- Tony DeAngelo

Frederik Andersen
Antti Raanta

Scratched: Jalen Chatfield
Injured: Andrei Svechnikov (knee)

Anaheim Ducks
IMG_4600.jpeg

Adam Henrique -- Trevor Zegras -- Troy Terry
Frank Vatrano -- Mason McTavish -- Ryan Strome
Max Jones -- Bo Groulx -- Jakob Silfverberg
Ross Johnston -- Sam Carrick -- Brett Leason

Cam Fowler -- Jamie Drysdale
Jackson Lacombe -- Radko Gudas
Pavel Mintyukov -- Ilya Lyubushkin

Lukas Dostal
John Gibson

Scratched: Tristan Luneau, Urho Vaakanainen

Injured:

Brock McGinn (undisclosed), Alex Killorn (upper body)

IMG_4612.gif

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
I'll try and watch this one. We will see how I feel after game 1 of the Texas World Series. Last night was at least entertaining to watch despite the final score.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So we get Stanley Cup champions, then one of the best regular season teams over the past 5 years in Carolina, and then nexxt one will be Dallas who many have noted as sneaky contenders. All that while having a new coach and a few missing players :laugh:

Dostal should get a game, looking forward to it

Reactions: robbieboy3686

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Gonna write my thoughts about last night's game here...

- Looks like lots of comments and people jumping the gun already. Probably the excitement of the new season, sorta funny to see.
- F Line 1 - Z and Terry look generally solid and often threats to score. Clearly separate themselves from teammates in terms of being dangerous. Z also putting more effort at D (not that I felt he didn't before honestly). Henrique looked ok usually. I do feel if we signed him for another couple of years at a lower value he'd still be a functional player for us.
- F Line 2 - Agree McT was sorta absent first period. My dad and I were watching together and we both commented that he was the least noticeable on his line in the first. But overall that line was quite good, Strome even picked up his play in the 2nd half and was active, maybe the first time since he has worn a Ducks uniform that I liked his play. I've liked Vatrano since he got here, hard effort the entire game and I don't get the people that want him gone.
- F Line 3 - Silf looked better in general than pretty much all of last year. Looks like he might finally be fully healed. Still not really dangerous offensively. I've been wanting Groulx to succeed since his first game. Maybe he just needs better teammates but maybe also he might only ever be close to replacement level. At least he seems responsible defensively. Jones IMO was like McT first period, sort of invisible, but picked up his physicality later. I've always liked him. Good penalty draw also, gotten by pissing people off XD
- F Line 4 - I continue to love Carrick. His stat card doesn't look great, but man did he get screwed with the calls. Glad he didn't get a game misconduct, pretty obvious he wasn't meaning to hit head and pulled up.

- D Line 1 - Cam def didn't have a good game. I still think some people underrate him in the bigger picture, but I agree on taking him off the 1PP unit, at least while we have some more dynamic quarterbacks. But I think in general he'll usually have solid games. Glad Drys wasn't shying away from hits...definitely took more than he gave physically, but he was mobile and active, and hoping that translates over the long term to becoming the top line D we've been hoping he would be. Don't like this pairing either, but given the other pairs, probably necessary right now.
- D Line 2 - Gudas is a beast. In my mind (outside of the end of first blip, but come on, Cam should have stepped in to back him up) he's already earned his contract. We 100% needed a player (or two) like him. And outside of LaCombe's mishandle for that Stone steal and almost-goal, that guy is so smooth under pressure...uses his body so well to shield the puck, and is fun to see jumping up and being an offensive threat. If he plays like this regularly (which I think he does), he stays.
- D Line 3 - Holy crap Minty's and Bush's stat cards are awful. My eye test maybe failed here? I wasn't paying a ton of attention to Bush but he looked generally responsible. Minty though, he was physical, he was energetic, I liked his decisions on when to jump up. I think he's going to be awesome. I like his willingness to shoot, but think he might need to settle down a bit in that respect and choose some better times on that. But very pleased with his play.

- Side notes - Glad Gibby didn't give up. Looked pretty solid. Hoping to see Luneau but feel he definitely needs an extra year of seasoning. Can't wait for Leo to be here.

Overall, despite the disparity in shots, I felt this game wasn't nearly as bad as the score indicated, and I'm pleased with the direction of the club. Thinking Cronin is what we needed.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Found out last night that I will not be getting a hockey spot in a vom this year despite requesting one. Honestly kinda pissed about it. Couldn't request one last year because I started only a few games into the 2021-22 season rather than working the full one, but was hopeful I'd get one this year. Oh well.
What does vom mean?

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Found out last night that I will not be getting a hockey spot in a vom this year despite requesting one. Honestly kinda pissed about it. Couldn't request one last year because I started only a few games into the 2021-22 season rather than working the full one, but was hopeful I'd get one this year. Oh well.

The setup is a pain in the ass, I went for preseason. They send you on a trek all the way around instead of cutting through the main entrance

EDIT: thought you were talking about parking, never mind

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Mctavish went from looking like our worst forward to looking like our best all within the same game. That quick of a turnaround is definitely pretty peculiar. Expecting a great game from him. I do wonder if he ends up becoming the 2nd most impactful of our big 4 over the years.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Mctavish went from looking like our worst forward to looking like our best all within the same game. That quick of a turnaround is definitely pretty peculiar. Expecting a great game from him. I do wonder if he ends up becoming the 2nd most impactful of our big 4 over the years.
Mase during the 1st intermission when Cronin explained this is not preseason anymore

tumblr_n53e36oWd61tq4of6o1_500.gif

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Zegras seems to have more upside so I’d still bet on him but it’s close at this point

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
It's short for vomitory--the entrance/exit to the seating areas in an arena. The only time I've heard this word is at Ducks games during the arena announcements before the games. Yeah, this isn't the first thing I think of when I hear that word.
Related though... IIRC comes from the Latin word meaning "to spew" or something like that. Because it spews people into the arena

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Zegras seems to have more upside so I’d still bet on him but it’s close at this point
Nobody ever doubted Zegras' upside...however, I'm starting to get frustrated with his learning curve...or lack thereof. Why do you think it's close? I can tell you that. Because McTavish is making progress while Zegras is not.

When Zegras entered the league we were all amazed by his impact, by how good he was. Now he's a very valuable player and I may have too high expectations but he's entering his 4th NHL season and he's yet to get stronger, better against the puck or win a somewhat decent share of faceoffs. When Getzlaf retired I wrote ahead of last season that this is Zegras' team now. His big season to show what he's all about. Now if you're being honest with yourself...did he meet your expectations? He wasn't bad but it's also not like he took over from Getzlaf or anything close from that. If you look at his usage, the insane amount of offensive zone starts he's getting, especially relative to the rest of the team...this leaves you wanting way more from Zegras. Still only 22 years of age and development is hardly ever linear so maybe the progress is gonna come eventually but unlike with McTavish, I'm certainly not liking the trend very much.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Nobody ever doubted Zegras' upside...however, I'm starting to get frustrated with his learning curve...or lack thereof. Why do you think it's close? I can tell you that. Because McTavish is making progress while Zegras is not.

When Zegras entered the league we were all amazed by his impact, by how good he was. Now he's a very valuable player and I may have too high expectations but he's entering his 4th NHL season and he's yet to get stronger, better against the puck or win a somewhat decent share of faceoffs. When Getzlaf retired I wrote ahead of last season that this is Zegras' team now. His big season to show what he's all about. Now if you're being honest with yourself...did he meet your expectations? He wasn't bad but it's also not like he took over from Getzlaf or anything close from that. If you look at his usage, the insane amount of offensive zone starts he's getting, especially relative to the rest of the team...this leaves you wanting way more from Zegras. Still only 22 years of age and development is hardly ever linear so maybe the progress is gonna come eventually but unlike with McTavish, I'm certainly not liking the trend very much.
McTavish was a 3rd overall pick dude

He had very high expectations. It’s still very much in question with the 2.

Both guys have a ways to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad