GDT: Game 2: Anaheim Bathtubs @ Arizona Toasters | 10/6/18 6:00 p.m. PDT |FS-A

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Martinook keeps on scoring for the Canes. Kind of weird he -and other assets - has been turned into Hinostroza.
Martinook had a bad first half of a season last year, like the rest of the team, but improved as the team did. I always have liked Martinook.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good. Keep that thought. When you boo, you boo on the whole team. Do you want to tell Raanta he should never have come over the pond? Do you want to tell Hjalmarsson he should have been a defensive defenseman in Sweden? No? Then don't boo.

This is your team. For better or for worse.
Except there is no divorce in hockey. Ever. Even when there is a lot of worse. :arr:
It won't be the first time Raanta, are any other player for that matter, was booed, and it won't be the last.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All the hot and sticky weather of my native Florida...and full of Texans. Hard pass. :laugh:

The one thing I’ll say for Houston is that it has a very large Vietnamese population, and lots of good places to eat as a result. That’s about all I can come up with.

Each to their own, but I find the people in Texas to be very polite, and it has a great business climate.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Crouse is our only hope in terms of physical response. He’s a rookie, though. And he’s not very good at fighting.

Yeah, I am more talking about our general demeanor. We have this counter-puncher's mindset with physicality, I feel like, but we don't know when that time to stand up is. Could be after the first punch, could be after the 5th punch that we decide to back ourselves up. We kind of saw that in the Dallas game. Fischer's knee had players swarming toward him, even with no perceived ill intention. When Oesterle got hit into the boards, it was still a rough play, but no one really knew how to respond or what the right response was. Neither had ill intentions, and the kneeing was far worse than the hit into the boards, but I just don't like the lack of response that we have taken. I am not saying that everything needs a response, just that we need to be unafraid of showing a little backbone out there.

As someone mentioned mentally weak - again I don't know if this is a sign of true mental weakness, or if we are just a slightly softer team since our "older" players are not built to have some enforcement behind them. Here are the players over the age of 25 on the roster - which would you feel comfortable with as any sort of enforcement role?

Grabner
Archibald
Connauton
Cousins
Demers
OEL
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson
Kempe
Oesterle
Panik
Richardson
Stepan

The only two guys with physical elements are Lyubushkin (likely to be a 7th D and pushed back to Tucson when Chychrun returns) and Crouse (whom I am not certain is guaranteed for the NHL either once players like Dvo and Galchenyuk come back). So more potential AHL players than anything else at this stage. Kind of hard to balance a lineup of scoring and toughness when from the looks of things, we have neither. The scoring will get there. Not certain if/when the toughness will get there as well, and this could be the one area where we are a little mentally weak, relative to everything.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Good. Keep that thought. When you boo, you boo on the whole team. Do you want to tell Raanta he should never have come over the pond? Do you want to tell Hjalmarsson he should have been a defensive defenseman in Sweden? No? Then don't boo.

This is your team. For better or for worse.
Except there is no divorce in hockey. Ever. Even when there is a lot of worse. :arr:
Well if they're feelings are hurt we got a little teddy for them and safe room.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let’s trade for Nick Ritchie. Maybe they’d take Perlini who’s got much better offensive upside and isn’t currently holding out. That’s a BIG L on paper, but we could certainly use what Ritchie brings.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Let’s trade for Nick Ritchie. Maybe they’d take Perlini who’s got much better offensive upside and isn’t currently holding out. That’s a BIG L on paper, but we could certainly use what Ritchie brings.

If it's a pointless forward you are looking for, why not try wrestling Kyle Clifford from the Kings? I mean, a proven 6-goal scorer.. o_O

rt

May 13, 2004
How is Nick Ritchie pointless? He’s a physical monster with an unreal laser beam of a shot. Guy goes toe-to-toe with the likes of Kassian and Clifford and is probably at least a 15g/season guy. Perlini could be a 20-25g/season type but he’s inconsistent and brings only goal scoring to the table. Ritchie is also well above 200hits per season. He’s a beast.

Ritchie-XXXX-Fischer
Crouse-XXXX-Cousins

Is a pretty tough but talented bottoms six.

Reactions: Mosby

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
How is Nick Ritchie pointless? He’s a physical monster with an unreal laser beam of a shot. Guy goes toe-to-toe with the likes of Kassian and Clifford and is probably at least a 15g/season guy. Perlini could be a 20-25g/season type but he’s inconsistent and brings only goal scoring to the table. Ritchie is also well above 200hits per season. He’s a beast.

Ritchie-XXXX-Fischer
Crouse-XXXX-Cousins

Adding Ritchie is fine, I'd welcome his style of play, I would want to get a small add or make a bigger deal out of this. Maybe Ritchie + 2rd for Perlini + 4th?

Reactions: Lilhoody

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Ritchie-XXXX-Fischer
Crouse-XXXX-Cousins

OK, I take that back. Seems not pointless at all.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Thankfully you're not the GM. Perlini is a blue chip prospect who will only get better. Guys like Ritchie could be had much cheaper.
I've said it before Chyka is an analytics kind of guy who needs to measure blood and guts more.
I agree we need a guy like Ritchie but giving up Perlini would be NUTS.

rt

May 13, 2004
Adding Ritchie is fine, I'd welcome his style of play, I would want to get a small add or make a bigger deal out of this. Maybe Ritchie + 2rd for Perlini + 4th?
I'm not sure the Ducks would bite. That said, we are taking the bigger risk. Ritchie is a hold-out. That's not good. Perlini could explode and be a big time goal scorer. Ritchie is much more likely to be 15-20g per year and not much higher at any point. That said, he's behind only Ryan Reaves and Tom Wilson for hits by forwards over the last two full NHL seasons. And he's not getting anywhere near the PP time over the last two years that Perlini has (something like 30second/gp for Ritchie and 1:45/gp for Perlini).

It sort of lines up with our deals involving other young, talented players. We tend to move upside for safety. Ducliar for Panik is obviously upside for steadiness. Domi was slumping and kind of all over the place in terms of upside, and is a real wild-card. Galchenyuk, though with his own warts, is a bit more proven and a safer bet to at least be a consistent 20ish goal goal year in and year out.

We probably wouldn't be willing to take a risk like that in the division. Moving Perlini to the Ducks only to see him transform into a 25-30g guy is too much to handle, probably. Also, from the Ducks side, do they really want to deal with a pissed off, and highly motivated to run around Ritchie in the division? I'm sure they'd hate to see him crushing their guys six times a year.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

This is interesting. I wouldn't do it for Perlini, but I like Ritchie. Maybe for Merkley+Pick? Not sure the Ducks wanna move an NHL guy for a prospect but that could depend on just how far apart they are with Ritchie right now.

Last edited:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm not sure the Ducks would bite. That said, we are taking the bigger risk. Ritchie is a hold-out. That's not good. Perlini could explode and be a big time goal scorer. Ritchie is much more likely to be 15-20g per year and not much higher at any point. That said, he's behind only Ryan Reaves and Tom Wilson for hits by forwards over the last two full NHL seasons. And he's not getting anywhere near the PP time over the last two years that Perlini has (something like 30second/gp for Ritchie and 1:45/gp for Perlini).

It sort of lines up with our deals involving other young, talented players. We tend to move upside for safety. Ducliar for Panik is obviously upside for steadiness. Domi was slumping and kind of all over the place in terms of upside, and is a real wild-card. Galchenyuk, though with his own warts, is a bit more proven and a safer bet to at least be a consistent 20ish goal goal year in and year out.

We probably wouldn't be willing to take a risk like that in the division. Moving Perlini to the Ducks only to see him transform into a 25-30g guy is too much to handle, probably. Also, from the Ducks side, do they really want to deal with a pissed off, and highly motivated to run around Ritchie in the division? I'm sure they'd hate to see him crushing their guys six times a year.
No way I do it if I'm the ducks, having Ritchie blast my team is not what I'd want to deal with.

I just went and looked at them on capfriendly, they have so little cap space and so many injuries. They may be willing to move Ritchie for an AHL contract and a 2nd, just not to us :laugh:.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Ritchie is holding out for more money. You really think the Coyotes owner would pay a guy? I think he's tapped out for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad