GDT: Game 2: Anaheim Bathtubs @ Arizona Toasters | 10/6/18 6:00 p.m. PDT |FS-A

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We can move to Houston where there’s a rich owner willing to spend to the cap, friendly tax rates to attract players, and the worst big city in America where more people live than anywhere other than New York, LA, and Chicago, but nobody actually WANTS to live there. Haha. That should be fun for contract negotiations. :)
Nothing wrong with Houston. Great city, great state.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can understand any booing. One side is being paid and won't score a single goal. The other side is paying to see a game with no goals. Getting shutout 2 games in a row in the middle of a mediocre season is one thing, but to end one season on a shutout and begin the next with two more consecutive shutouts. You have a fan appreciation night, and don't score. Then you have opening night with all the hype, and get shutout again. The fans are obviously upset. That is a serious problem. The good feeling the team had during the 2nd half last year is gone. This team is mentally weak.
After two games I think it's the fans who are mentally weak. Time to chill guys, let's give the team a break here. They were in both games and maybe deserved a better fate. RT is giving Stepan the treatment that superstars like McDavid ect. get. It happened last year and it's continuing this year with TOI he is getting.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This team is mentally weak.

Last year, yes. This year, we don't crank out twice as many shots as the other team if we are mentally weak. We have seen mentally weak - that was players going outside of the system far too often. There was even a small period of time when it happened in the Dallas game. We are still a very young team.

I do think we need to establish who we view as our enforcer/guardian. So far, we really haven't been physical enough at times. I feel like there is a thought that a Rinaldo is still on our team, but we again kind of lack a response, at times.

One other thing that no one has said yet - we still don't have our complete team. Of course, we are not the only team with this predicament, however, our lineup choices or more out of necessity as opposed to being able to pick and choose as easily. Considering we are missing the goal-scorer that we need for the PP, it is not like we are in a terrible world of hurt yet. Shots will hit the net more often. When you go this long without a goal, everyone is gripping the stick a little tighter and trying to will the puck in. We'll get there.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I looked at getting tickets mid week. There were only a few decent seats available and they were way too expensive (more than I wanted to pay anyway). You could tell there were a lot of empty seats watching it on TV but there weren't a lot not sold that's for sure.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
1 person in particular?

No. I see plenty of examples (including what comes out of D.C.) Those who think they can lob complaints and then get offended when someone disagrees with them.

It’s social media.... if you’re going to dish it out have thick enough skin to be prepared to take it. And if you don’t like that then set your account private so only your inner circle of pals can enjoy it.

I’m not condoning what Jake said. He came back later and apologized for it and said he just wants to see the team succeed. There’s obvious frustration there. I understood it. If we were in Philly (where Jake grew up) the entire arena would probably have booed this team off the ice after one. But Arizona fans aren’t Philly fans. In some respects I’m still trying to figure out what this fanbase actually is. I’ve been to games at GRA where Arizona fans got seriously offended by fans of opposing teams simply cheering for their team. As if some sort of commandment was broken.

I only got to watch the first period of the replay last night but I liked what I saw in respect to how hard they played. I agree with several others here that the lack of finish is what’s killing them offensively.

Reactions: Mosby and Naych_PHX

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Last year, yes. This year, we don't crank out twice as many shots as the other team if we are mentally weak. We have seen mentally weak - that was players going outside of the system far too often. There was even a small period of time when it happened in the Dallas game. We are still a very young team.

I do think we need to establish who we view as our enforcer/guardian. So far, we really haven't been physical enough at times. I feel like there is a thought that a Rinaldo is still on our team, but we again kind of lack a response, at times.

One other thing that no one has said yet - we still don't have our complete team. Of course, we are not the only team with this predicament, however, our lineup choices or more out of necessity as opposed to being able to pick and choose as easily. Considering we are missing the goal-scorer that we need for the PP, it is not like we are in a terrible world of hurt yet. Shots will hit the net more often. When you go this long without a goal, everyone is gripping the stick a little tighter and trying to will the puck in. We'll get there.
Crouse is our only hope in terms of physical response. He’s a rookie, though. And he’s not very good at fighting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Funny...refs can be booed, the opposing team can be booed, but not the darling Coyotes.
It just doesn’t make any sense. They’ve been dog shit for six f***ing years. Let’s boo when they’re outworking the other team and not getting any lucky breaks? Feel free to boo. It’s just stupid in this case. Feel free to be stupid. I usually am.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm generally pro booing. Booing means they care.

It used to be relatively common up through the Gretzky years to hear boos on a random bad power play here. Don't hear that so much anymore.

Reactions: Yandover

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The team played well last night and would've scored a few goals against most teams. Coyotes caught Gibson when he was turned up to 11. He was a wall last night. As such I wouldn't boo but I don't blame anyone that may have. They set aside a night of their life and paid for tickets and didn't like the result.

The players can handle and should expect it at times.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we hold our opponent to 20 shots and get 40 shots of our own, we will win most games. Both games so far came down to our Vezina goal tender being outplayed. Relax and lets see what happens, it's still early.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we hold our opponent to 20 shots and get 40 shots of our own, we will win most games. Both games so far came down to our Vezina goal tender being outplayed. Relax and lets see what happens, it's still early.

You would think. It was like we had a team of Rieder's. Our shot quality has to improve, and I expect it will.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The team played well last night and would've scored a few goals against most teams. Coyotes caught Gibson when he was turned up to 11. He was a wall last night. As such I wouldn't boo but I don't blame anyone that may have. They set aside a night of their life and paid for tickets and didn't like the result.

The players can handle and should expect it at times.
Gibson was a wall because we made him look like a wall.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You argued with Cobra and I about the D, as so far you are right, but I believe they will settle down. I agree with everything else you said. Why they don't put Crouse in front of the net like preseason is beyond me. Stepan had 9 shots and about 2 were NHL quality.
Boy are you right about Stepan's wrist shot. We always had a joke when we played about soft shots. We'd say you couldn't break a plane of glass with that shot. I don't think Stepan could crack glass. weak little wristers. Nothing like OEL. that dude has a wrister as does Perlini.

Reactions: Jakey53

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Gibson was a wall because we made him look like a wall.
Give him credit he's a big goalie who makes the save look easy because he's in such good position.
But where was the dirty goals? Just shots and nobody really at the net. Perimeter players, way too much on the Yotes.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's not like the fans wanted to boo. They had no reason to want to cheer either.

That team didn't deserve a sell out, considering the product last year. Plus, they marketing for the game was all about nostalgia with the old jerseys and Roenick doing the puck drop, with a loyal season ticket holder there to show him appreciation. Why should anyone support this current team? Last year I got an email from the Coyotes offering 2 free tickets to the Bruins game, and I knew better than to even waste my time traveling there. Coyotes lost 6-1. Not even worth seeing for free.
Let me tell you the Pepsi four pack was a nightmare. 4 lower bowls with a pepsi/hotdog.
We lined up to redeem them in the first intermission. We waited in line for 20 minutes or so while a real old lady didn't know how to work the cashier. She kept needing help. When we finally got to her she said they were out of hot dogs. So we headed to another concessionary because the kids were hungry. We waited in line behind a cashier who did not know how to use the cash register (im not kidding). When we finally got to him he said , you guessed it, "we're out of hot dogs". So I paid for some other items and headed to the Duncan donuts stand because my daughter wanted a desert. Guess what? They were out of donuts. This was in the first intermission. We got back to our seats with 2 minutes left in the SECOND period.
Never have I experienced such bush league amenities at a major league facility in hockey, football, or baseball.
Guess who will never buy another promotion like that?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Martinook keeps on scoring for the Canes. Kind of weird he -and other assets - has been turned into Hinostroza.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I guess on Saturday night I'll cheer as if we just won the Stanley Cup, regardless of outcome. I'll be the one they take out in a straight jacket.

Good. Keep that thought. When you boo, you boo on the whole team. Do you want to tell Raanta he should never have come over the pond? Do you want to tell Hjalmarsson he should have been a defensive defenseman in Sweden? No? Then don't boo.

This is your team. For better or for worse.
Except there is no divorce in hockey. Ever. Even when there is a lot of worse. :arr:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Let me tell you the Pepsi four pack was a nightmare. 4 lower bowls with a pepsi/hotdog.
We lined up to redeem them in the first intermission. We waited in line for 20 minutes or so while a real old lady didn't know how to work the cashier. She kept needing help. When we finally got to her she said they were out of hot dogs. So we headed to another concessionary because the kids were hungry. We waited in line behind a cashier who did not know how to use the cash register (im not kidding). When we finally got to him he said , you guessed it, "we're out of hot dogs". So I paid for some other items and headed to the Duncan donuts stand because my daughter wanted a desert. Guess what? They were out of donuts. This was in the first intermission. We got back to our seats with 2 minutes left in the SECOND period.
Never have I experienced such bush league amenities at a major league facility in hockey, football, or baseball.
Guess who will never buy another promotion like that?

That's on the concessionaire (Levy) who's people obviously weren't prepared to handle the load.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
On that note, was D&D coffee (hot. I do recall a price difference between hot and cold) $5 last year? And, where was the brisket? It was not outside 115/116.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
They did do one new thing right in the concessions, at least in the one behind 215-216. A single point of entry to the queue, so no playing "shortest line" roulette...of course, we weren't trying to do this during intermission, so I didn't notice how it went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad