Pre-Game Talk: Game 2/82 -Saturday, October 14th, 8 pm -VAN@EDM - Ok let’s not do that again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was one game. Stop reaching for something that isn't there. EDM as a collective team just did not show up. Plain and simple. You could pick out anything that night and have been disappointed. These games happen to every single team through out the course of a season. The players know how they performed. Better to get it out of the way now early on then down the stretch or in the playoffs. They will be better tomorrow and moving forward. We all know when this team starts actually skating and working hard they are very hard to stop. And we will see it very soon. ♥

I'm still frustrated that Gleason did not make the team. lol
I had most of these concerns before the game and season started. This is not a physical club. I had concern its steadily becoming an older and slower club. Nucks skated circles around us and hammered us.

Of course I don't expect to see CC in game two but the concerns on the lack of physicality and jam in this lineup is ongoing. its a flawed roster veering to topsix talent without any other need being addressed in offseason.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
It was one game. Stop reaching for something that isn't there. EDM as a collective team just did not show up. Plain and simple. You could pick out anything that night and have been disappointed. These games happen to every single team through out the course of a season. The players know how they performed. Better to get it out of the way now early on then down the stretch or in the playoffs. They will be better tomorrow and moving forward. We all know when this team starts actually skating and working hard they are very hard to stop. And we will see it very soon. ♥

Only reason Gleason didn't make it was cap issues. He'll be with the big club this season at some point.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

problem is numbers on the D

I liked what I saw in Gleason as well and I would not be shocked to see in up and Broberg down(I belive Broberg is still waiver exempt)
Vinny D is our number 7 guy and come in and out of the line up quickly. Broberg needs to play.

Gleason has only played 4 nhl games and I think the oilers want to see how does on the farm a little more

Reactions: Duke74

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Take 2.

pepgif.gif

• Haha

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Can't wait for the season opener. Feels like it's later than usual this year. Weird that the season is only 81 games this year, too.
These 9 game preseasons are a joke, what’s the nhl thinking

Kane is no longer taking dances, we don't have Kostin anymore. Nurse has turned into not that imposing a figure, and leaving basically Desharnais to answer bells. The Oilers were targeted with lots of heavy hits in game 1 and I expect we see a lot of that this season, and not a lot of answer back. I mean even Peterson belts Ceci and nobody answered that. Instead the Oilers big guns, hit constantly in the game, get frustrated and take penalties.

The Oilers were on the wrong side of the physicality department.

Even a guy like Pulju would at least hit, and occasionally fight.

This is a team that can get bullied, and I suspect opponents will target that.
Puljujarvi would occasionally fight? He wasn’t intimidating anyone or anything.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I had most of these concerns before the game and season started. This is not a physical club. I had concern its steadily becoming an older and slower club. Nucks skated circles around us and hammered us.

Of course I don't expect to see CC in game two but the concerns on the lack of physicality and jam in this lineup is ongoing. its a flawed roster veering to topsix talent without any other need being addressed in offseason.
You’ve also continually been proven wrong about how this is some old club

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I don't like the idea of a B2B to start the season as I didn't think either team would win 2 straight. Still don't. Oilers win on Saturday.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thank f***ing god the coaching staff isn't going to continue trying to jam a round peg into a square hole with the Nurse - Bouchard pair.

To start this game I am looking for more assertive play in the offensive zone than anything else to start. When this team is flying north-south and directing pucks at the net on o-zone entries everything falls into place. When they dick around at the blue line and try and slow down to create a cycle we end up flipping pucks over and the problems start in the d zone off the transition the other way.

On Wednesday the top 6 forwards as a whole were absolutely abysmal to say the least across the board. It's on them to bring the energy and tilt the ice early. We absolutely can't start the game with multiple shifts in our own end.
Watch Woody put Desharnais with Nurse.

• Wow
Reactions: Duke74

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thank f***ing god the coaching staff isn't going to continue trying to jam a round peg into a square hole with the Nurse - Bouchard pair.

To start this game I am looking for more assertive play in the offensive zone than anything else to start. When this team is flying north-south and directing pucks at the net on o-zone entries everything falls into place. When they dick around at the blue line and try and slow down to create a cycle we end up flipping pucks over and the problems start in the d zone off the transition the other way.

On Wednesday the top 6 forwards as a whole were absolutely abysmal to say the least across the board. It's on them to bring the energy and tilt the ice early. We absolutely can't start the game with multiple shifts in our own end.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had Bouchard with Nurse because of some old dinosaur belief like Bouchard needs to play with a veteran.

Basically some of the usual smartest person in the room stuff.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wouldn't be surprised if they had Bouchard with Nurse because of some old dinosaur belief like Bouchard needs to play with a veteran.

Basically some of the usual smartest person in the room stuff.
Personally I think they were going to use the pre-season as a means to experiment with their top 4 d-men. Trial and test a Nurse and Bouchard pairing while giving Ekholm some big minute ice and tutelage with Broberg. Play around with a Kulak Ceci bottom pairing. It went out the door with Ekholm's injury. However I believed when the regular season started it would be back to Ekholm Bouchard.

Bouch is emerging as an elite offensive and PP d-man but his own zone play and its consistency is still developing. Ekholm has years and years of experience with young d-partners and a stable, consistent game that mitigates learning moment mistakes (especially on a Cup window wanna-be). A Nurse veteran stabilizing partner is the big roster piece to be acquired at trade deadline.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
That last game was terrible by everybody. I also noticed they kept putting out their first pp unit after running up the score (Which they are entitled to do).

I hope Edmonton remembers that and I hope my $400+ bucks don't go to waste lol.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Woody just using 200 IQ. He doesn’t want Tocchet to know Nurse is with Bouchard again :p so he can game plan

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Little blog post on the oilers site with this quote from Holloway: BLOG: Holloway hoping to continue having a positive impact | Edmonton Oilers

“It was my bad wrist,” Holloway said on Friday about his injury scare. “I had two surgeries on that wrist, and it kind of caught me right in the bone, which is close, and it hurt a lot. I just thought I messed it up again.

“But thankfully, the X-ray showed no break. It's a little sore, but it's nothing that'll keep me out.”

No break!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Little blog post on the oilers site with this quote from Holloway: BLOG: Holloway hoping to continue having a positive impact | Edmonton Oilers

“It was my bad wrist,” Holloway said on Friday about his injury scare. “I had two surgeries on that wrist, and it kind of caught me right in the bone, which is close, and it hurt a lot. I just thought I messed it up again.

“But thankfully, the X-ray showed no break. It's a little sore, but it's nothing that'll keep me out.”

No break!
Lucky on a unnecessary play :/

Reactions: ZJuice

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Oilers only play 8 games in all of October. 7, if you count them not showing up on Wednesday. Gonna feel like a slow start to the season and not many games for a long while. Our schedule sure isn't front loaded. No marquee type games either. Sleepy October on the schedule.

That said all the teams we get in October will be playing us hard, and its increasingly easy to take liberties against the Oilers once again.
Let's just hope they aren't October graduates.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its all about buy in. Getting players to commit to a system.
Aside from the lack of quality on defence that is far and away the biggest issue with this team

The Canucks dont have an overly big team (and certainly not more talented than the Oilers) but they played with intensity and commitment to Tocchets system..
When you see players consistently putting their sticks in passing lanes and consistently hustling to mark their man and perimeter players like Pettersson blowing up an Oilers defencemen that is all about 100% buy in.

I would like to see a little of that from this team for long stretches (and develop the rep as a hard team to play) and not just when the spirit moves them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad