Pre-Game Talk: Game 2/82 -Saturday, October 14th, 8 pm -VAN@EDM - Ok let’s not do that again

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I thought it was time we’d move on from the post-game thread from last time around.

IMG_1956.jpeg

Sounds like our Viking is ready for battle.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I thought it was time we’d move on from the post-game thread from last time around.

View attachment 752281

Sounds like our Viking is ready for battle.

Thank f***ing god the coaching staff isn't going to continue trying to jam a round peg into a square hole with the Nurse - Bouchard pair.

To start this game I am looking for more assertive play in the offensive zone than anything else to start. When this team is flying north-south and directing pucks at the net on o-zone entries everything falls into place. When they dick around at the blue line and try and slow down to create a cycle we end up flipping pucks over and the problems start in the d zone off the transition the other way.

On Wednesday the top 6 forwards as a whole were absolutely abysmal to say the least across the board. It's on them to bring the energy and tilt the ice early. We absolutely can't start the game with multiple shifts in our own end.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers only play 8 games in all of October. 7, if you count them not showing up on Wednesday. Gonna feel like a slow start to the season and not many games for a long while. Our schedule sure isn't front loaded. No marquee type games either. Sleepy October on the schedule.

That said all the teams we get in October will be playing us hard, and its increasingly easy to take liberties against the Oilers once again.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Oilers only play 8 games in all of October. 7, if you count them not showing up on Wednesday. Gonna feel like a slow start to the season and not many games for a long while. Our schedule sure isn't front loaded. No marquee type games either. Sleepy October on the schedule.

That said all the teams we get in October will be playing us hard, and it’s increasingly easy to take liberties against the Oilers once again.
How so?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kane is no longer taking dances, we don't have Kostin anymore. Nurse has turned into not that imposing a figure, and leaving basically Desharnais to answer bells. The Oilers were targeted with lots of heavy hits in game 1 and I expect we see a lot of that this season, and not a lot of answer back. I mean even Peterson belts Ceci and nobody answered that. Instead the Oilers big guns, hit constantly in the game, get frustrated and take penalties.

The Oilers were on the wrong side of the physicality department.

Even a guy like Pulju would at least hit, and occasionally fight.

This is a team that can get bullied, and I suspect opponents will target that.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Kane is no longer taking dances, we don't have Kostin anymore. Nurse has turned into not that imposing a figure, and leaving basically Desharnais to answer bells. The Oilers were targeted with lots of heavy hits in game 1 and I expect we see a lot of that this season, and not a lot of answer back. I mean even Peterson belts Ceci and nobody answered that. Instead the Oilers big guns, hit constantly in the game, get frustrated and take penalties.

The Oilers getting bullied is such a myth. Losing 7 minute man Kostin didn’t just transform the Oilers into some butter soft team.

JP lol stop.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Physicality takes effort and the whole team save for 2-3 players (one of which fought) chose to exert zero effort in Game 1.

I wouldn’t look very far into it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers getting bullied is such a myth.
Yeah, despite Vegas doing it in the spring.

Even Vancouver doing it on Wednesday. They were finishing a lot of hits. Meanwhile on the Oilers its our star players, McD and Drai, having to stand up for themselves because nobody is even taking that on.

McDrai were not just frustrated at the score. They were being belted all game. Not an easy game for either. By third period they'd had enough of it.

Kane was worse than a passenger in this game.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, despite Vegas doing it in the spring.

Even Vancouver doing it on Wednesday. They were finishing a lot of hits. Meanwhile on the Oilers its our star players, McD and Drai, having to stand up for themselves because nobody is even taking that on.

McDrai were not just frustrated at the score. They were being belted all game. Not an easy game for either. By third period they'd had enough of it.

Kane was worse than a passenger in this game.
How did Vegas bully us? I actually think our aggressive responses to them was part of the problem.

I can’t defend last game but you are taking way too much away from it. 1 game dude.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How did Vegas bully us? I actually think our aggressive responses to them was part of the problem.

I can’t defend last game but you are taking way too much away from it. 1 game dude.
Yeah. The game did leave a sour taste. But people know I wasn't too enthused with where the team is at for this season. The last few seasons I've felt better than I do entering this one. I don't see the right mix or roster here.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Nuge is a better tough guy than Pulju. No joke.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah. The game did leave a sour taste. But people know I wasn't too enthused with where the team is at for this season. The last few seasons I've felt better than I do entering this one. I don't see the right mix or roster here.
I will agree we need some grit in the bottom 6 though. Hopefully that gets addressed at the TDL.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

It was one game. Stop reaching for something that isn't there. EDM as a collective team just did not show up. Plain and simple. You could pick out anything that night and have been disappointed. These games happen to every single team through out the course of a season. The players know how they performed. Better to get it out of the way now early on then down the stretch or in the playoffs. They will be better tomorrow and moving forward. We all know when this team starts actually skating and working hard they are very hard to stop. And we will see it very soon. ♥

I'm still frustrated that Gleason did not make the team. lol

Reactions: frag2 and ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad