GDT: Game #19 St. Louis Blues @ Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I didn't say it was a stupid question. I just don't really see how one could think Halak has a lot of value. Goalies in general don't have much value at all. I agree that the right deal is the one that helps bring us a cup. Would Miller make us better? Absolutely. But I highly doubt that the difference between Halak and Miller is what puts us over the hump to the cup. We're scoring right now, but that will most likely change. The same thing happened last year. The offense started off hot and then cooled off. There's no doubt that a scoring by committee strategy can be effective during the regular seiason, but during the playoffs you need that go to offensive player. Every team that has won a cup recently has had at least one, if not more go to guys. We're lacking that. So for me, it's not that I don't want Miller, it's that if we are going to give assets up, I feel like that one missing piece up front is more needed.

Great Post.

What Miller brings to the Blues will not put them over the cup hump. They cannot rely on goaltending. I don't even care who is playing goalie come playoff time. This team will need to score to win, and they will need to not rely on their defense and goalie. Any of Elliot, Miller, and Halak can get hot come playoff time and out perform each other, no matter the regular season.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think miller would be a slight improvement, and we should only trade for him if we get a killer deal.

Interested to see what happens up to the TDL as Armstrong has to be thinking of ways to improve this team. It's obvious we have most if not all of the tools to make a really strong run in the playoffs, but is there something out there that can all but guarantee we make a deep run. Is there a game breaker that can help us, or is there a way to get miller on the cheap. I just hope that whatever move he makes pans out for us.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
People need to keep in mind that we were in on Vanek. Granted we probably talked about Miller, but we were most focused on Vanek. That tells me Armstrong is looking for an impact offensive player.

BlueBob

Oct 21, 2013
Miller would make a measureable positive difference and I'd welcome a Halák + picks trade. The Blues 2014-15 #1 pick is going to be pretty high anyway and they already have decent quality youth on their side.

I don't dislike Halák as much as many on here do but he doesn't appear capable of being the reliable wall that this team would need to make it to the cup final. When play tightens up in the 2nd-onward rounds Blues scoring is going to drop off no matter how hot they are going in.

Miller would be a really fun experience - seeing him get a few days of much needed rest after the trade, put on a winning team's jersey rather than toil in Buffalo during their lowest point in, well, ever, and play at his 100% ability level. It would work out for everyone. I don't see it happening, though.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
We can't capitalize more than once on 47 shots and Halak's the problem?

No, the problem is we rely on Steen to score every night and carry the team, which is not sustainable long-term. Goals against -- even bad ones -- happen from time to time. They also happen to Miller, Brodeur and any other keeper you can think of.

I've said it before but I don't know that other team's fan bases rush to pin all our issues on our goalies as fast as Blues fans do.

illninofan*

We can't capitalize more than once on 47 shots and Halak's the problem?

No, the problem is we rely on Steen to score every night and carry the team, which is not sustainable long-term. Goals against -- even bad ones -- happen from time to time. They also happen to Miller, Brodeur and any other keeper you can think of.

I've said it before but I don't know that other team's fan bases rush to pin all our issues on our goalies as fast as Blues fans do.

It's a little hard to mount a comeback when your goalie gives up three goals on six shots, and two of those goals don't happen with simple rebound control.

illninofan*

Halak had a poor night, no doubts.

So did the offense. 1 goal on 47 shots isn't cutting it.

True, but Elliott proved that with semi-competent goaltending, the game is probably 1-1 going into OT.

And I'm a big Elliott critic too (didn't want use the word "hater" ).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's a little hard to mount a comeback when your goalie gives up three goals on six shots, and two of those goals don't happen with simple rebound control.

That doesn't cut it either. So just because Halak had a poor start excuses the offense for not doing it's job? No way jose. We lost because both failed last night. Three goals is most definitely not an insurmountable lead in this league. But when you rely on Alex Steen and David Backes to carry the offense night in and night out, bad things happen. I'm not bashing Steen and Backes. They are crucial to our success, but this team needs secondary scoring badly right now. Even your best players are going to have slumps or off nights. You need the rest of your team to pick up the slack. We haven't seen that.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
I also think that the blues fans turn their backs on players too early. I love Halak, I may be one of his biggest fans, I wake up at 2 am just to see him play. So I may be biased, but how can someone in here say he hasnt had a good game in weeks? what about the game in montreal? and the game against pittsburgh, what did he do wrong there? the game against PHX idk, I dont think you should blame him, the offense couldnt score again. I feel like 50 percent of people love Halak and the other 50 hate him even if hes doing just fine. yesterdays game was his worst I admit , but that happens to every goalie from time to time. I know you feel like it happens to him more often, that may be true, but I think the main problem is that you guys expect too much from him. Because of that magical playoff run , people now think he will stop every freaking shot he is facing which is not possible, he is just a human too. I think Miller is pretty similar to Halak and Im sure people would start bashing him too. I feel like the blues fans will never be satisfied. Unless Jaro has a shutout or makes plenty of ridiculous saves, he doesnt get appreciated. People should support the whole team, even when they are having a rough time. I dont get all that hate. But thats just my opinion

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I also think that the blues fans turn their backs on players too early. I love Halak, I may be one of his biggest fans, I wake up at 2 am just to see him play. So I may be biased, but how can someone in here say he hasnt had a good game in weeks? what about the game in montreal? and the game against pittsburgh, what did he do wrong there? the game against PHX idk, I dont think you should blame him, the offense couldnt score again. I feel like 50 percent of people love Halak and the other 50 hate him even if hes doing just fine. yesterdays game was his worst I admit , but that happens to every goalie from time to time. I know you feel like it happens to him more often, that may be true, but I think the main problem is that you guys expect too much from him. Because of that magical playoff run , people now think he will stop every freaking shot he is facing which is not possible, he is just a human too. I think Miller is pretty similar to Halak and Im sure people would start bashing him too. I feel like the blues fans will never be satisfied. Unless Jaro has a shutout or makes plenty of ridiculous saves, he doesnt get appreciated. People should support the whole team, even when they are having a rough time. I dont get all that hate. But thats just my opinion

Despite the calls for his head from some people, he really hasn't been as bad as some claim. His numbers look worse then they probably would because he faces so few shots. That I can handle. That said, he hasn't really done anything in my mind to run away with the starting job. I wanted more out of him this year. We've all seen what he's capable of, but it seems like he just can't consistently find that gear. He's not losing us games, but he's also not wining games. All in all, I'm not willing to give up on him yet, but I want more out of him. Otherwise, I'd be willing to be we may see Jake Allen before too long.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Despite the calls for his head from some people, he really hasn't been as bad as some claim. His numbers look worse then they probably would because he faces so few shots. That I can handle. That said, he hasn't really done anything in my mind to run away with the starting job. I wanted more out of him this year. We've all seen what he's capable of, but it seems like he just can't consistently find that gear. He's not losing us games, but he's also not wining games. All in all, I'm not willing to give up on him yet, but I want more out of him. Otherwise, I'd be willing to be we may see Jake Allen before too long.

I agree, he's kept us in a lot of games we haven't scored. it's gone both ways. And as I keep saying, it only matter who's hot during the playoffs.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
yeah actually I wanted to point out the stats too, but I thought everyone would just say Im stupid. Its pretty hard to have a high save percantage with the defense like the blues have. Hes facing in avarage 20-22 shots, but most of them are quality chances. But sure .900 is nothing we want from him. yeah I know you want more, we all want more, but he has never been an elite goalie. Although I wish he was, and I really am his big fan, I admit he is not elite. But I think he has the potential to be elite maybe later with age. Speaking of winning games I think we can say he won the game against montreal and chicago. After those games facebook , twitter and this forum was full of comments like: Jaro won us the game, he was awesome etc. But I feel like people are forgetting too quickly about good nights, but will always remember how he screwed up yesterday

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
yeah actually I wanted to point out the stats too, but I thought everyone would just say Im stupid. Its pretty hard to have a high save percantage with the defense like the blues have. Hes facing in avarage 20-22 shots, but most of them are quality chances. But sure .900 is nothing we want from him. yeah I know you want more, we all want more, but he has never been an elite goalie. Although I wish he was, and I really am his big fan, I admit he is not elite. But I think he has the potential to be elite maybe later with age. Speaking of winning games I think we can say he won the game against montreal and chicago. After those games facebook , twitter and this forum was full of comments like: Jaro won us the game, he was awesome etc. But I feel like people are forgetting too quickly about good nights, but will always remember how he screwed up yesterday

It's all what have you done lately for me, especially when it comes to the stats. I specifically remember saying to myself before this week that his numbers don't show how well he started the season. The consistency issue is with him is my biggest problem. He seems to let bad games snowball on him pretty quick. That's gotta stop. All we really need is for him to give us a chance to win every night. Personally, I'm not opposed to trading for Ryan Miller. I'm just not interested if they don't back off of their reported asking price.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
yeah well, but hes been always known for being inconsistent, unfortunately. But as I said I think expectation were set too high. He really is able to steal games, he just isnt able to do it every night. I wish he could stay with the Blues forever cause I really fell in love with them, mostly because of him. So I hope he wont get traded :yo: but I have a feeling that fans and the management dont want him to stay so he will probably be gone :(

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
yeah well, but hes been always known for being inconsistent, unfortunately. But as I said I think expectation were set too high. He really is able to steal games, he just isnt able to do it every night. I wish he could stay with the Blues forever cause I really fell in love with them, mostly because of him. So I hope he wont get traded :yo: but I have a feeling that fans and the management dont want him to stay so he will probably be gone :(

Well we know almost for sure that one of Elliott or Halak will not be back next year. Jake Allen is almost assured of the backup spot next year. His contract is a good indication of that.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I agree with you. You're right about the quality of chances that the Blues seem to allow. They sure take a lot of low quality shots too. Letting Ovechkin walk in and pick his spot is never going to be good for any goalie.

It's great to play Sobotka to death, but on your 4 on 3 power play? I'm sorry, but Hitchcock has too much love for his checkers. The end of the game was abysmal. Backes is running around like an idiot. Oshie and Steen looked afraid to be hit. Good game plan by the Caps as they just basically ran those 3 out of the game. Other two scoring lines need to bury some chances. Not picking on anyone in particular as it is seems most of our looks aren't in a good scoring areas. Need traffic and quit circling in the corners. I thought Karamnov, Prokorov, and Korolev were gone. Get your shooters in shooting lanes.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
True, but Elliott proved that with semi-competent goaltending, the game is probably 1-1 going into OT.

And I'm a big Elliott critic too (didn't want use the word "hater" ).

Not disputing that at all. Elliott played well. Halak didn't give the team much of a chance early.

I am called an Elliott hater and this will not help, but when the Blues cut it to 3-1, did anyone else feel the momentum shifting? You could feel the Blues starting to come on and make a push and then they give up the 4th goal and it was over. I didn't think it was over when it was 3-0. I thought it was over when it got to 4-1. I'm not even blaming Elliott for the goal, but it just was the final nail.

I'm not letting Halak off the hook, but there's a certain portion of the fanbase that treats him like Eric Brewer was and I think it's a joke overall.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Not disputing that at all. Elliott played well. Halak didn't give the team much of a chance early.

I am called an Elliott hater and this will not help, but when the Blues cut it to 3-1, did anyone else feel the momentum shifting? You could feel the Blues starting to come on and make a push and then they give up the 4th goal and it was over. I didn't think it was over when it was 3-0. I thought it was over when it got to 4-1. I'm not even blaming Elliott for the goal, but it just was the final nail.

I'm not letting Halak off the hook, but there's a certain portion of the fanbase that treats him like Eric Brewer was and I think it's a joke overall.

Yeah the fourth goal was the nail in the coffin. But the way last night was going, you just knew it was coming. Bad bounce for Elliott though on that one. Overall he played pretty well. If Halak keeps playing this way for another couple of games, I'd expect Elliott to get a look.

illninofan*

That doesn't cut it either. So just because Halak had a poor start excuses the offense for not doing it's job? No way jose. We lost because both failed last night. Three goals is most definitely not an insurmountable lead in this league. But when you rely on Alex Steen and David Backes to carry the offense night in and night out, bad things happen. I'm not bashing Steen and Backes. They are crucial to our success, but this team needs secondary scoring badly right now. Even your best players are going to have slumps or off nights. You need the rest of your team to pick up the slack. We haven't seen that.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here. Offense not showing up aside, they did score ONE goal, and with competent goaltending yesterday (which Elliott provided and proved) that would have been good enough for at least an overtime point.

I'm not going to coddle and make excuses for Halak and point to the offense not showing up when the Capitals offense was no better than ours, save for the fact that our goaltending let in three goals that shouldn't have been.

If not for goaltending, yesterday would have been one of those games that we dominate and yet had no business gong to overtime because of so many missed chances, but...well, you know.

Agree to disagree.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah the fourth goal was the nail in the coffin. But the way last night was going, you just knew it was coming. Bad bounce for Elliott though on that one. Overall he played pretty well. If Halak keeps playing this way for another couple of games, I'd expect Elliott to get a look.

He did play pretty well, and I think he was going to get a look anyway with 17 games in 35 days. Elliott serves an important role and he's a quality backup, but he's not going to lead us to a cup.

I might be naive, but I still think Halak can.

Ugh life sucks after a loss.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here. Offense not showing up aside, they did score ONE goal, and with competent goaltending yesterday (which Elliott provided and proved) that would have been good enough for at least an overtime point.

I'm not going to coddle and make excuses for Halak and point to the offense not showing up when the Capitals offense was no better than ours, save for the fact that our goaltending let in three goals that shouldn't have been.

If not for goaltending, yesterday would have been one of those games that we dominate and yet had no business gong to overtime because of so many missed chances, but...well, you know.

Agree to disagree.
I'm not saying Halak didn't suck and put us behind the 8 ball, because clearly he did. I'm just saying that the offense has to find a way to score in that game. You can't plan on winning every game 1-1. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad