GDT: Game 19: Oilers @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Duclair started out fine this year, was just snake bitten, but the last few games he is really pressing and not using his line mates. I think he is due to break out very soon, or he may get to see a game in the press box. He is 16th in scoring on our team, with one goal. That is pathetic

Perfect summation of why it is not smart to assume that rookies or younger players should be given minutes for the sake of getting minutes. In all levels of sport, players that press to make a play have an adverse affect on the team.

Get down 2-0 after the first period? A young player will try to be more involved at the expense of getting out of position.

Struggling to score goals? The grip on the stick gets ever so tighter, and you have hands like frying pans the next time the puck gets to you.

It simply comes down to decision-making - some young players are better decision makers than others. Elite players (the McDavids and Matthews) are still in a learning phase but their additional skills are so other-worldly that they can "afford" to make a mistake here and there. Their make-up understands how to not press action. We don't have enough elite decision-makers in our youth at this time. Maybe in another year or so, the decision making reaches that point, both as individuals and as a team.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
View from Row A

It was a pleasure to watch Mcdavid last night.
Wow.
And I would like to stand up for Ryan White who never gets a break in a public forum but really played a good game last night.
Keeping Oiler heads up, he skates very well with the puck and made some great passes.
My beef as I stated elsewhere is with OEL making these lazy drop passes right onto the stick of an Oiler player late in the 3rd period and his constant complaining to the referees when he makes a penalty.
Talbot played a great game, I never noticed Toby or DVO and I think Duke had an improved game.
Smitty played fairly well although the second goal was mighty soft.
The crowd was OK considering the season..
Hats off to the Coyote ticket folks who are really working hard to get fans to come on in and watch the most exciting sport in the world.
Beat LA!!!!!

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
View from Row A

Wow.
And I would like to stand up for Ryan White who never gets a break in a public forum but really played a good game last night.
Keeping Oiler heads up, he skates very well with the puck and made some great passes.
My beef as I stated elsewhere is with OEL making these lazy drop passes right onto the stick of an Oiler player late in the 3rd period and his constant complaining to the referees when he makes a penalty.
Talbot played a great game, I never noticed Toby or DVO and I think Duke had an improved game.
Hats off to the Coyote ticket folks who are really working hard to get fans to come on in and watch the most exciting sport in the world.
Beat LA!!!!!

Wait, wasn't that the pass all the way across the slot to the other defenseman who was alone? No goalie in the league stops that. Duclair was soft for standing and watching him skate in.

Agreed on McDavid. I can't help but root for somebody with those skills, even if he is in our division.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Wait, wasn't that the pass all the way across the slot to the other defenseman who was alone? No goalie in the league stops that. Duclair was soft for standing and watching him skate in.

Agreed on McDavid. I can't help but root for somebody with those skills, even if he is in our division.

Correct

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
View from Row A

Wow.
Beat LA!!!!!

White had a hell of a game. Doesn't mean he gets moved up in the line-up, but a great game. Not that you said he'd move up, just my thought on what DT shouldn't do.

Don't worry about OEL, he'll be fine.

Talbot was indeed strong.

Smitty played very well. Second goal not on him, as others have stated.

The crowd was excellent.... sure you were there? :)

Coyote folks are nearly giving tix (that you and I pay full sth prices for) away, through "other" outlets.

View from row A club level.

Edit: How did you miss Dvo and Reider???

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Perfect summation of why it is not smart to assume that rookies or younger players should be given minutes for the sake of getting minutes. In all levels of sport, players that press to make a play have an adverse affect on the team.

Get down 2-0 after the first period? A young player will try to be more involved at the expense of getting out of position.

Struggling to score goals? The grip on the stick gets ever so tighter, and you have hands like frying pans the next time the puck gets to you.

It simply comes down to decision-making - some young players are better decision makers than others. Elite players (the McDavids and Matthews) are still in a learning phase but their additional skills are so other-worldly that they can "afford" to make a mistake here and there. Their make-up understands how to not press action. We don't have enough elite decision-makers in our youth at this time. Maybe in another year or so, the decision making reaches that point, both as individuals and as a team.

Also and excellent summation. Well done Buxy!

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I noticed the lack of second effort last night and I was put off. If you are struggling you should be working your ass off not waiting for things to happen for you. Felt like a passenger the last few games when the expectation is he should be a leader on this team.

No doubt the coaching staff is instructing him to be opportunistic. :sarcasm:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
View from Row A

Wow.
Beat LA!!!!!

Didn't notice DVO and you were there in person? He was one of our best players and was getting double shifted almost the entire 3rd....

Also, really like White as well as McGinn. Both team guys and we really need those types.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I was there. Such a great game! You could tell mcdavid wanted to be a coyote by jumping into our bench. Haha. That was pretty awesome. OEL also plastered mcdavid into the glass. They were very physical on him all night.

I assumed we would win, even when we fell down and we're down a goal late. Our history against them and winning is way too deep. Even with them having mcdavid. We have a Domi.

On to the next test.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Oilers PGT is pretty toxic.

we got outplayed the first 60min and were lucky to get a point out of it.
That 24 game point streak against us is flat out ridiculous.

see yah sunday

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Didn't notice DVO and you were there in person? He was one of our best players and was getting double shifted almost the entire 3rd....

Also, really like White as well as McGinn. Both team guys and we really need those types.

He had a very strong game and Reiter was no slouch either.

Yup. It may have been Dvo, White and Rieder's best game, or at least one of their best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad