Game #19: KINGS @ ISLANDERS - 11/14/13 - Regulation Win! 3-2 Monarchs Victory!

HolyShot*

Time to trade Clifford, Stoll, and Fraser for a defenseman.

Trade Clifford? Yeah I forgot. Everyone's afraid of Car bomb and Nolan.

Clifford's a decent enforcer; he'll drop em with anybody. I don't think those other guys would be too willing to drop them with the tougher enforcers in the league, much less be willing to take a beating like Clifford does. And plus, it's not like Clifford can't play, he's a decent 3rd liner when put into that role.

I guess it comes down to why you'd want to trade Cliff and why other teams would be willing to give something decent in return. I just don't see the value in it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think we need to add Robyn Regehr to the trade bait to get a younger stay at home defenseman.

I would like to know one team that would be willing to trade an asset that would improve our team while also taking on Stoll or Regehr's contracts.

Clifford's a decent enforcer; he'll drop em with anybody. I don't think those other guys would be too willing to drop them with the tougher enforcers in the league, much less be willing to take a beating like Clifford does. And plus, it's not like Clifford can't play, he's a decent 3rd liner when put into that role.

I guess it comes down to why you'd want to trade Cliff and why other teams would be willing to give something decent in return. I just don't see the value in it.

Clifford is a decent third liner? hahahahaha good one. Has the Kings bottom six been so bad lately that people forget what a good third liner looks like. Clifford has been abysmal this season, and was abysmal at the end of last season, and he just suffered his third concussion, pretty sure his days of "drop em with anybody" are over, unless he wants to end up with CTE.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Nolan fears no one. He's a far better fighter than Clifford, he's bigger, and he's shown far more skill for a while now. Nolan is doing everything Clifford does, but better, and without the concussion issues.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I would like to know one team that would be willing to trade an asset that would improve our team while also taking on Stoll or Regehr's contracts.

At this point Regehr is not expendable, partially due to Greene's injury, but also because his game has picked up considerably in the last couple weeks. If it was simply the case of him playing while recovering from injury then he's certainly good enough to at least finish the season with us.

Stoll though, his days are numbered. You mentioned Bolland, well I see Stoll being moved in a similar manner - after the season, around the draft, once the salary cap has been verified. And he will net something more than nothing. Lewis then takes #4C.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Robyn Regehr is a defensive defenseman and they are highly sought after and have value ( afterall we paid 2 seconds for him) getting some pick for him doesn't seem outrageous just cause he doesn't work for us doesn't mean he wouldn't be good for other playoff bound teams. islander Washington rangers tampa bay all come to mind

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think we need to add Robyn Regehr to the trade bait to get a younger stay at home defenseman.

Adding salary won't improve your return on a trade.

I'm not sure I would dangle Regehr right now anyways. He started really slow, but has been very solid the last few games. He's picked up his game, is really punishing with his hits, and is even getting some effective shots on net. I'm sure some of it is because he's finally getting healthy and is turning a corner.

I think he's been one of our better defensmen the last few games, and with Greene out we need that element.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Well, they are playing "meaner" than him this year. Clifford is good for at least one penalty per game, though.

Perhaps they don't want to take a beating, because they, ugh, you know, don't want a concussion? He's a mediocre player that has shown no signs of developing over the last few years.

Package him up and send him out for a defenseman. Someone's gotta be looking for toughness.

Carcillo does what Clifford does for much cheaper, and to be honest, has been much more disciplined.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Adding salary won't improve your return on a trade.

I'm not sure I would dangle Regehr right now anyways. He started really slow, but has been very solid the last few games. He's picked up his game, is really punishing with his hits, and is even getting some effective shots on net. I'm sure some of it is because he's finally getting healthy and is turning a corner.

I think he's been one of our better defensmen the last few games, and with Greene out we need that element.

If we re acquiring another defenseman Robyn Regehr would become available. He can be added in a trade if a decent number 2 comes available as there replacement for the season or have them retrade him he has more value then u think. It also depend on how much salary ur getting back he may have to be added to balance it out

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Well, they are playing "meaner" than him this year. Clifford is good for at least one penalty per game, though.

Perhaps they don't want to take a beating, because they, ugh, you know, don't want a concussion? He's a mediocre player that has shown no signs of developing over the last few years.

Package him up and send him out for a defenseman. Someone's gotta be looking for toughness.

Carcillo does what Clifford does for much cheaper, and to be honest, has been much more disciplined.

yeah medicore players finish 5th in the league in hits all the time. Also start getting pk time for the first time this season. He also finished last year with the most points in his carrer playing less games. Clifford isn't in the lineup to make points hes there to hit the other team. He has shown a lot of offensive potential playing around 10 mins agame WTF do you expect from him playing theses mins? I wish people would lay off him he was starting to play on the pk why would sutter start this if he was such a liability? I'm sick and tired of hearing people lay into Clifford when he is doing what is asked of him, :shakehead:help:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If we re acquiring another defenseman Robyn Regehr would become available. He can be added in a trade if a decent number 2 comes available as there replacement for the season or have them retrade him he has more value then u think. It also depend on how much salary ur getting back he may have to be added to balance it out

Thing is, teams don't generally trade a younger/better equivalent to a player unless they are getting something sweet in return. If Regehr needs to be added for salary purposes, then you are either getting someone else's salary problem, or the pieces going with him are going to be quite good.

Of course it's always a good idea to upgrade if you can, but are there really any good, young stay-at-home types that are going to be available without adding one of our top prospects? probably not.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

What's an enforcer? I vaguely remember a passing reference to an enforcer but I have had too many crazy nights to remember past 5 years.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Thing is, teams don't generally trade a younger/better equivalent to a player unless they are getting something sweet in return. If Regehr needs to be added for salary purposes, then you are either getting someone else's salary problem, or the pieces going with him are going to be quite good.

Of course it's always a good idea to upgrade if you can, but are there really any good, young stay-at-home types that are going to be available without adding one of our top prospects? probably not.

if we can get a younger better defenseman we can trade Robyn Regehr to someone else for picks He would be useless to us as a 7th defenseman lets get a 2 2nds back I want to at least get us a 2nd in this coming draft maybe a first if the team is desperate ( tradedeadline injury to a defensive defenseman_

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
yeah medicore players finish 5th in the league in hits all the time. Also start getting pk time for the first time this season. He also finished last year with the most points in his carrer playing less games. Clifford isn't in the lineup to make points hes there to hit the other team. He has shown a lot of offensive potential playing around 10 mins agame WTF do you expect from him playing theses mins? I wish people would lay off him he was starting to play on the pk why would sutter start this if he was such a liability? I'm sick and tired of hearing people lay into Clifford when he is doing what is asked of him, :shakehead:help:

My biggest problem with him? Zero discipline.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
if we can get a younger better defenseman we can trade Robyn Regehr to someone else for picks He would be useless to us as a 7th defenseman lets get a 2 2nds back I want to at least get us a 2nd in this coming draft maybe a first if the team is desperate ( tradedeadline injury to a defensive defenseman_

To get that kind of player, you are going to have to give up quality. Teams aren't going to want guys like Stoll, Clifford or Regehr, they are going to want guys like Vey or Pearson. It might be an upgrade on Regehr, but the cost isn't going to be something that's easy to stomach.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Clifford hits and that's about it, we have better players to take his spot right now, and its shown since he's been out, the Kings need to trade him now when he still has value, because its pretty clear to most fans it seems that he's nothing more than a 4th liner at this point.

Lombardi really should've dealt him during the off-season when his value was at its highest, probably could've gotten at least a 2nd+ for him.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
To get that kind of player, you are going to have to give up quality. Teams aren't going to want guys like Stoll, Clifford or Regehr, they are going to want guys like Vey or Pearson. It might be an upgrade on Regehr, but the cost isn't going to be something that's easy to stomach.

not for sure it could involve pieces like our 1st or forbert or andy andy or other young pieces not saying I would trade them but its possible.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
My biggest problem with him? Zero discipline.

well I don't know about you but when I was 22 I didn't have a lot of discipline and i'm betting neither did you. In your original post your saying he isn't improving which I have told you serveral ways he has. Now its his discipline ok are you sure its not Sutter telling him to go hit people ? Clifford's game is to get lay hits and slow down and weaken the oppontents which he does to a tee. Before his latest concussion he was 2nd in team hits and that is what he is paid to do.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
At this point Regehr is not expendable, partially due to Greene's injury, but also because his game has picked up considerably in the last couple weeks. If it was simply the case of him playing while recovering from injury then he's certainly good enough to at least finish the season with us.

Stoll though, his days are numbered. You mentioned Bolland, well I see Stoll being moved in a similar manner - after the season, around the draft, once the salary cap has been verified. And he will net something more than nothing. Lewis then takes #4C.

With his face off skills I am thinking he could move at the trade deadline, didn't Nashville pay a 1st for a very good face off guy a couple of years ago.

He may not get a first but he would pull more than next to nothing. People underestimate the value of a very good face off man.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Clifford, Fraser, Frattin et al days are numbered. No way you can send these kids down when everyone's healthy.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
King-Richards-Carter
Pearson-Vey-Toffoli
Carcillo-Stoll-Nolan

Just make it ****ing happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad