GDT: Game 19: Jets @ Coyotes | FSAZ+ | 8PM (Yes 8PM)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Interesting to hear Biznasty say on the radio that we don't have the talent that Winnie has and that a team without high end talent we have to outwork the opponents. I agree. We don't have the talent, but we have the talent to be hovering at or near .500.

To play Pittsburgh's system with out Pittsburgh's talent we better have a primo goalie who is in the top 5 in the league. But we don't. With all the attempted stretch passes being picked off an average goalie will have a below average season.

We need a better goalie than Aunty Raanta and Bob's my uncle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed. Raanta and Wedgewood have been pretty good. Keller is a bit snakebit. Chychrun and Hjalmarsson have been hurt. Each healthy D seems to slowly be getting their acts together. Goligoski and OEL have been a bit better, anway. Still time for the 8-11-1 part of my 8/8 prediction to come true, at least.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Pretty annoyed at the people around me in the arena when the Jets player went down. A few people shouted "this is hockey not soccer". Even one of them was a kid in the row right behind me, and I didn't hear his parents say anything to him. Pretty disappointing.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Just commenting because I don't want to be a fair weather fan that only shows up when we win. Other than that...the only thing I have to say is:
image.jpg

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Lol we had a game tonight? I had no idea, and I didn't get any ESPN alerts for goals or the start of the game like I have for every Coyotes game for the past 5 years.

Looks like everyone has reached the "f*** it" point in the season.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Lol we had a game tonight? I had no idea, and I didn't get any ESPN alerts for goals or the start of the game like I have for every Coyotes game for the past 5 years.

Looks like everyone has reached the "**** it" point in the season.

ESPN is laying off employees. Probably fired the alert guy :snide:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
It happened right in front of me, it was all bulll**** and the whistle never should have been blown. Myers later came out and pretended to be testing his knee before his next shift.
Yeah. It seemed staged to me as well. We had so much momentum on that PP. that changed the rest of the game. So unfortunate. I guess that’s how they go when you’re losing though.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
When Meyers fluffed that injury is when the game was lost. Killed all momentum on that power play which we very well could have scored on. Would have been a 2-1 game at that point and now you’re back playing with the lead.

I’m not so upset about the loss, since that seems to be the normal anymore. I thought we played well, everyone played well. Was good to see how much O zone time we had through longer stretches.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That first period was incredible. What the hell happened?

Zero regulation wins in 19 games. Some sort of change would be nice.

Reactions: cobra427

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Pretty annoyed at the people around me in the arena when the Jets player went down. A few people shouted "this is hockey not soccer". Even one of them was a kid in the row right behind me, and I didn't hear his parents say anything to him. Pretty disappointing.

Look st the replay...and the espy goes to...

Reactions: Yandover

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The first period was probably their best period all year. They're 2-4-2 since getting actual NHL goaltending, and the roster isn't even 100% healthy. The sky is not falling.

Agreed, we keep seeing improvement. If it's so difficult for us to keep that in mind, imagine how it is for Players, coaches - the team. This is where the danger lies - being able to keep improving, despite all the losses.

Love me some Mike Keenan, but I think RT and his staff are handling this well.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting to hear Biznasty say on the radio that we don't have the talent that Winnie has and that a team without high end talent we have to outwork the opponents. I agree. We don't have the talent, but we have the talent to be hovering at or near .500.

To play Pittsburgh's system with out Pittsburgh's talent we better have a primo goalie who is in the top 5 in the league. But we don't. With all the attempted stretch passes being picked off an average goalie will have a below average season.

We need a better goalie than Aunty Raanta and Bob's my uncle.

Raanta is not the problem, as he has played very well. It's the mistakes that keep on killing us. Tucson is so close so I don't understand why they can't do a few call ups and scratch or send someone to the A. There has to be some sort of wake up call. Why Kempe is still here flying around like a chicken with his head cut off is beyond me. He is a AHL player. Same goes for Cousins.

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, we keep seeing improvement. If it's so difficult for us to keep that in mind, imagine how it is for Players, coaches - the team. This is where the danger lies - being able to keep improving, despite all the losses.

Love me some Mike Keenan, but I think RT and his staff are handling this well.

We have been very competitive most nights and like you said we keep seeing improvement. Having said that, we are still making those same silly mistakes, and some vets still are not pulling their weight. Martinook, Reider, Cousins, Kempe and Richardson, although he is playing better of late, look invisible most nights. Rinaldo, like Kempe just fly around which looks good but produces few results. There has to be consequences for some of these players. Tucson is close, so lets use that to our advantage. A little shake up doesn't hurt anyone and will keep everyone on their toes.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Raanta is not the problem, as he has played very well. It's the mistakes that keep on killing us. Tucson is so close so I don't understand why they can't do a few call ups and scratch or send someone to the A. There has to be some sort of wake up call. Why Kempe is still here flying around like a chicken with his head cut off is beyond me. He is a AHL player. Same goes for Cousins.
my point was that for Tocchet's laissez faire defensive style we need much better than Antii.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Look st the replay...and the espy goes to...

After the fact, sure. I get it. He was out there playing again. But at the time, we have no idea what could have happened. I mean, look at Cunningham and what happened there. Nobody hit him, but he had to get rushed to the hospital.

He was down, and basically not even moving. At the time, what if he was seriously injured somehow? Crazy things happen in sports. I just don't like the response right after it happened by those in the crowd near me is all. Am I upset that it happened and things changed after that? Sure. But if he was seriously injured, it's busch league to be yelling out stuff like that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Now what? A series of bad decisions by An inexperienced owner and inexperienced GM leads to what we have today. Chayka has zero experience to figure out how to fix this. Goal
Tending was a scape goat. DM/Tip would be way more qualified to unwind this mess, if we had them still, we of course wouldn't be in this mess. We can't solve a problem if we aren't capable of evaluating the problem and that's our biggest problem.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think Raanta has been fine. You won't win scoring one goal especially with the poor puck possession we've had. It seems like there's only one line that plays well every game and the defense is always up and down. Need some consistency. I like Mermis. That addition and some health on D should be enough to keep us in games if the goalie play stays where it's at. Forward is where we need help. Toc needs to put together multiple lines that can be dangerous. Bring up the Tucson 1st line and coach these guys damnit!

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
After the fact, sure. I get it. He was out there playing again. But at the time, we have no idea what could have happened. I mean, look at Cunningham and what happened there. Nobody hit him, but he had to get rushed to the hospital.

He was down, and basically not even moving. At the time, what if he was seriously injured somehow? Crazy things happen in sports. I just don't like the response right after it happened by those in the crowd near me is all. Am I upset that it happened and things changed after that? Sure. But if he was seriously injured, it's busch league to be yelling out stuff like that.

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Cunningham collapse prior to the start of the game?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Last night was a game where goaltending was good and with very little individual mistakes - every team will have individual mistake here and there, there is no such thing as 60 minutes mistake free.

The current system of play is to go go go, skate skate skate pass pass pass hit hit hit; full steam for as long as possible. Obviously there is not a team in the history of hockey that has been capable of doing that for 60 minutes during 82 games.

Yesterday we did it for about 30 minutes. This is pretty good considering that half of our squad is young men, not physically matured players. I really don't think we can get a lot more than that realistically, particularly considering the vastly unfavourable schedule so far this year. And there will wear and tear as the season progresses anyway.

The key problem is that during these 30 minutes, we need to score more than one goal. And we don't. This is the main issue - we all know it too well - lack of consistent NHL talent at forward positions. We have so many rookies/sophomore players that it is to be expected; these guys will blow hot and cold, it is the nature of the beast.

However Stepan, Domi, Reider, Duclair, they really have got to do more. A LOT MORE.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Cunningham collapse prior to the start of the game?

He did, and I just used that as an example of something that could randomly happen. Knowing now he came back and played I'm upset. But when it happened, who knows. Maybe I'm wrong about being upset, but people yelling that at a guy that wasn't moving just touched me the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad